Can I say Bull's Balls?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Can I say Bull's Balls?

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:26 am

(Moderators--please don't DELETE thread. Edit title instead, if necessary.)

Please educate a long-time Brooklyn Yid:

Our local delicatessen never served Rocky Mountain Oysters, aka Bull testicles. Maybe this is has to do with whether they're kosher for consumption, figuratively and literally, but be that as it may, the Italian restaurants didn't serve it EITHER.

Anyway, my younger boy and I love to eat new things, especially if it disgusts mommy. And we figure the next puke-wrenching experience, for her, should be this delicacy, which I've heard is actually pretty good.

I did a little internet research and have learned that calf testicles are more tender, they're easier to skin if they're frozen, and the basic recipe is usually to flour and deep-fry, and eat with hot sauce. I also learned that they're also referred to as Cow Fries (in Texas, anyway).

So what can any of you rugged outdoorsmen tell me about them?

And if Powder has some recipes for BUFFALO balls, I'm all ears.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: Can I say Bull's Balls?

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:22 am

Ira wrote:(Moderators--please don't DELETE thread. Edit title instead, if necessary.)

Please educate a long-time Brooklyn Yid:

Our local delicatessen never served Rocky Mountain Oysters, aka Bull testicles. Maybe this is has to do with whether they're kosher for consumption, figuratively and literally, but be that as it may, the Italian restaurants didn't serve it EITHER.

Anyway, my younger boy and I love to eat new things, especially if it disgusts mommy. And we figure the next puke-wrenching experience, for her, should be this delicacy, which I've heard is actually pretty good.

I did a little internet research and have learned that calf testicles are more tender, they're easier to skin if they're frozen, and the basic recipe is usually to flour and deep-fry, and eat with hot sauce. I also learned that they're also referred to as Cow Fries (in Texas, anyway).

So what can any of you rugged outdoorsmen tell me about them?

And if Powder has some recipes for BUFFALO balls, I'm all ears.

Usta live in Oklahoma, calf fries were served at many of the high end type steak houses as appetisers. Hammered flat (ouch), floured and deep fried. Not too bad especially after a few beers. Tried them, wern't bad, but like eating reptile, or the innards of other creatures, not a habit I'll likely get into.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:31 am

I haven't asked any of the butchers around here yet, but worst comes to worst, you can order them online. This place sells them from calves, lamb and turkeys:

http://www.fairburysteaks.com/SPECIALTY ... S.category

(The site is pretty bad, though--you hit a link, and it you usually brings you right back to like the same page. Takes forever to find/figure out the prices.)

And I think you're rigth, Powder--the way I figure it, in a large population area like mine, with no one eating a whole bunch of testicles, it shouldn't be a huge problem finding them.

A few months ago, I tried beef hearts, just marinated for a few hours with balsamic vinegar and garlic and threw on the grill, and they were great. (Perhaps the look of disgust on my wife's face enhanced the dining experience.)

They were kind of a cross between liver (which I DON'T normally love) and regular red meat. My friend in Boca did it with VEAL hearts, but I haven't found them available near me yet.

And Steve--I doubt it will become a habit fo me either, but remember my motivation--making my wife gag.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:54 pm

So Ira, you and your son want to really disgust your wife. I found this recipe for you. This could be the ultimate disgusting meal. Can't wait to hear the story about you going to the butcher shop for "meat". I quote:

Penis Stew
1 pound of penis, ram's or bull's
3 tbls. oil
1 large chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper

Scald the penis, then drain and clean (doesn't say how you clean a penis. Not sure a guy would know since this penis is, well . . . never mind). Place the penis in a saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Remove any scum, then simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and slice.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and coriander and fry until the onion is golden. Add the penis slices and fry on both sides for a few minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients with a good grinding of pepper, add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours, or until tender. Add a little water from time to time if necessary to prevent burning.

The ladies say this was originally a Jewish recipe from Marcelle Thomal. Apparently innards, including penis, once played a major role in Jewish cooking.

This recipe is taken from The Two Fat Ladies, Full Throttle by Clarissa Dickson and Jennifer Paterson. New York, Clarkson Potter, c1998, page 101.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:46 pm

I was at the grocery store yesterday and they had frozen pig's head. This is the regular grocery store (like Publix) not the ethnic one.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Well, I"ve found one thread I won't be reading anymore. You guys are freaking me out (fear factor, style).... but then, if I saw how hamburger is made, I'd probably never eat that again, either.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:56 pm

Ira wrote:And Steve--I doubt it will become a habit fo me either, but remember my motivation--making my wife gag.

I'm not eating any balls or penis no matter how much I would like to see my wife gag. So Ira you'll have to post pictures. :shock:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby stjohn » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:56 pm

Best b-que I ate was cows head(the whole head eyes toung and brains).A mexican gentleman that used to work for my Dad
would put a rub on them loosely wrap them in foil then in burlap sack wet it down,put it in a hole in the ground and build a fire over it.If I rember right the meat on the lower jaw was the best verey very tender mmmmmmmmGood I did not eat any of the rest of the stuff but it got ate before the nnight was over .

Mike
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:22 pm

Around here, the local Gurleys (a small chain of family owned grocery stores) carries some interesting cuts of meat. Tripe, chicken feet, pig ears, pig snouts. And that great delicacy...chitlins...

One time a dialysis patient was eating a pig tail sandwich while he dialyzed. Opened the bread and showed me the cut little curly tail still attached. Cute.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:02 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Penis Stew
1 pound of penis

I have nothing to worry about then:

Mine wouldn't even make an appetizer.

Did I go over the line yet? Because for goodness sake, I'm trying my best.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby subtearanean » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Ira wrote:Did I go over the line yet? Because for goodness sake, I'm trying my best.

I'll see if I can help you with the expedition.

Best be careful with the procurement of said goods......you never know what may be in the pouch.

http://www.neuticles.com/

subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:29 pm

subtearanean wrote:
Best be careful with the procurement of said goods......you never know what may be in the pouch.

http://www.neuticles.com/

That is wrong on ALL levels.

We haven't cured cancer, yet they've cured erectile dysfunction AND they have testicular implants for PETS???

I wonder if they come in my size...
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby subtearanean » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:23 pm

Ira wrote:
1 pound of penis

Something in a size=small? I'm thinking we can hook you up.......
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Ira wrote:
1 pound of penis

Too much information! :oops:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Bull Ba**s

Postby CPASPARKS » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:00 pm

We call them calf fries down here. I had a neighbor when I was a kid that cooked turkey fries (do I need to explain ?).

Most restaurants up and down the Oklahoma side of the Red River Valley serve calf fries.

It is one of those foods you either definitely love or you definitely will not eat them. My opinion is they are pretty tasty. Especially with a little Tabasco sauce dabbed on them.

However, if you really like them...you don't really advertise it. :lol:
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1