Can I say Bull's Balls?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby cracker39 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:25 am

Jeeze...what a bunch of wimps. When I grew up, I lived part of the time with grandparents who had a farm. What didn't we eat....and like??? My Grandma made souse, which we called "hog's head cheese", literally from parts of the hog's head. It was much better than the souse you buy in the stores today.

I love beef tongue sandwiches, and it doesn't taste anything like balogna. I also like beef heart, but it is a little tough unless prepared properly. When a hog was slaughtered on the farm, we ate the heart, kidneys, liver, and my other Grandma made delicious pig tails and rice. However, today, I agree with Powderburn about liver and kidneys, after I learned their functions, I won't eat them either. How about calf brains in scrambled eggs...yep, ate that too. Beef tripe is another item that my parents cooked a lot when I was young, but I don't eat that anymore either. Not because it is the lining of intestines, but just because the taste doesn't appeal to me now.

My Grandma raised chickens, and we had chicken and dumplin's on Sunday, and the feet were my treat. My aunt raised rabbits, so we had that a lot. It has less cholesterol than chicken breast and is better. I've raised them for food too.

I grew up with hunters, so wild game was common table fare. I like venison, quail, doves (wild ones), duck, turkey, rabbits, etc. I've eaten rattlesnake and gator tail. The latter is served as an appitizer in some seafood restaurants here in Florida. In Maryland, I ate crabs and oysters, and even skate wings (a variety of ray).

What wouldn't I eat? Well, I might try the mountain oysters, but I think I draw the line at penises.

BTW, Ira, I almost didn't recoginze your post with the new avatar...the Crab looks great.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:41 pm

The problem with trying it all is if you have to try it where the people know how to COOK the stuff. Like where Dale abd Powder are coming from:

My print vendors/suppliers in New York City used to take us out to the most expensive restaurants around Christmastime.

I had boar--and it was horrible, because it was probably cooked by some 20-year-old Frenchy who was getting even with us Americans for not being French. I had gator tale elsewhere that was awesome, and everywhere I've had it here in Florida, it stinks. And I had rattlesnake up there that was "okay."

Which brings me back to the original intent of this post:

The best to way to prepare these balls!

I think with the right chef, even cardboard can be made delicious!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Ira, do you have a Catfish Country restaurant near you? I'm not positive if they are a chain, but there's one here, and one in Tampa that I know of. Their food is good and so is the gator tail. If you go to one, try their grouper creole served on Friday nites. It's great. I went to a Fish Tales restaurant up here, and it was awful.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:20 pm

We don't have that chain here. We have/had a smlall chain called Catfish Dewey's that USED to be really good, depending on which one you went to. I think some were owned and operated, and some were franchised.

The thing is, I've gotten really spoiled in my old age. 99% of the time, I'd rather make the stuff myself. Not only can I try to prepare it the way I want, but I'm not dependent on a 20-year-old waiter's idea of good service.

And I forgot to mention, it's cheaper my way too.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: Can I say Bull's Balls?

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:18 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Usta live in Oklahoma, calf fries were served at many of the high end type steak houses as appetisers. Hammered flat (ouch), floured and deep fried. Not too bad especially after a few beers. Tried them, wern't bad, but like eating reptile, or the innards of other creatures, not a habit I'll likely get into.

Steve

Hey, there 's plenty of chicken and hamburger at Crest (the grocery store) .
However I did try these for the first time at Daddy Hinkle's steakhouse downtown OKC and they were an appetizer. I wasn't impressed, not any flavor really.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Can I Say Bull's Balls?

Postby westexan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:47 pm

The best recipe for calf fries that I've eaten has been to finely crumble crackers and mix with a scrambled egg to coat the cut of testicle and deep fry until the batter turns a nice shade of yellow and the testicle in floating in the hot oil. :applause: :twisted: :lol:
westexan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Raven » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:33 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters, is the correct term for Bulls Balls.
They are eaten , like a oyster, RAW. Cut fresh, skin off outer area ( scrotum), and pop in an chew..
Frankly. the thought make me want to choke, but every cowboys I know that loves these stupid things, say peel and eat raw.
So there you have it.. ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS.. Camp favorite washed back with some hot coffee.
Cheers. and serve em up
Raven
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:39 pm

Raven wrote:They are eaten , like a oyster, RAW.

Uhhhh...I gotta strongly disagree with you there.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Raven » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:42 pm

thats ok. you have a better recipe for them? Understand these were Wyoming cowboys.. different then the Florida cowboys.
But what do you feel is the best way to serve them?
Raven
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:10 pm

Raven wrote:thats ok. you have a better recipe for them? Understand these were Wyoming cowboys.. different then the Florida cowboys.
But what do you feel is the best way to serve them?
Raven

I don't have a clue. But I never heard of eating them raw.

Does eating them raw have anything to do with Brokeback Mounain?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Raven » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Ira
I spoke to a Coloradao Cowboy and its rodeo weekend here now and spoke to a few of them. The report was:
Beer batter friend in a cast iron skillet over a fire is what I was told.

As for brokeback mountain remark, some of the best cowboys and bull riders are gay. However Im not seeing where that has anything to do with Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Have a nice day
Cece
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1