1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms; sliced
    1 green bell pepper; diced
    3 cloves garlic; minced
    10-12 medium potatoes; sliced
    12 eggs; beaten
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 cups grated Cheddar cheese
    picante sauce

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until hot.

Cut bacon into 1 inch slices. Add to Dutch oven and fry until brown. Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic and saute until onions are translucent. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper.

Cover and bake using 8 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 30 minutes.

Season eggs with salt and pepper then pour eggs over top of potatoes. Cover and bake another 20 minutes. Stir gently every 5 minutes. When eggs are done, cover top with cheese and replace lid. Let stand until cheese is melted.

Serve topped with picante sauce.

Serves: 10-12
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Outlaw » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:50 am

Very descriptive recipe! Sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm gonna have to check into a Dutch Oven.
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Archer_1 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:35 am

I've made this before, when I was 'Cook-ie' for the leader's at a Boy Scout Camporee. This tastes fantastic on a chilly morning with a hot cup of coffee. :thumbsup:
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Spadinator » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:49 am

We had this for the first time at a camp out last summer. VERY TASTY!!!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby Raven » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:03 am

Ill agree on this one, I make the same thing when we go camping for breakfast for everyone., Holds them over til dinner.
I usually serve it up with a tortilla for the plate. Rolled and ready to go..

Dutch oven can be bought at Harbor Freight for a fraction of the cost.
I have a 15in? skillet that I use, and a large DO I use as well.
I usually set mine over a fire pit and let em go. The skillet serves many purposes. Its sobig it works for everything. Griddle, skillet, warming plate, stove top.. on and on..

Raven
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:47 pm

I didn't know Harbor Freight had Dutch Ovens! I'll have to check it out. Are they good quality Dutch Ovens?
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:36 pm

One simple word.............NOPE!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:10 pm

I have had mine for 5 years and never have had a problem. I have the Large monster skillet, the medium and large Dutch oven.
I use them all often, and never have had anything go wrong.

I got a set for a friend who was starting over and lost her nice set.
She loves them, says they are fantastic as well.

I think they have them on sale this week as well. 12.00 bucks for a set of skillers, 15.00 for a large dutch oven.
Chris how come you dont like them? expound please.

I store mine in my oven, and leave them there when I cook. Keeps them seasoned as well. My dad uses his in the oven when he makes his navy beans. He puts a lid on them, and cooks at a low temp. Said it was as cook as the campfire.

Anyway, Im happy with them.
Raven(cece)
:thumbsup:
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris C » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:34 am

Raven,

Wow! That's great. :thumbsup: You're the first person I've ever heard say that. Guess those I've spoken with have just had individual problems. I've never had first-hand experience with their line of cast iron and was just going on hearsay. Sorry, I shouldn't have opened my mouth so quicky. :oops:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Mike B » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:24 am

I got a 12" deep DO from Harbor Freight, but I really haven't had a chance to use it (I've been using a 14" Lodge instead).

I will use it for stews, bread, etc. Anything that requires a lot of volume to cook. Like the Mountain Man breakfast. :D

The oven itself seems well made. The lid fits pretty well. What more can we ask?

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Raven » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:06 am

ok, if you want to go name brand, then Lodge is the way to go. Nice smooth finish and all ready seasoned.
But if you season it correctly you can make them all smooth finish.

But here is my thinking, Im taking it camping, and to the beach and everywhere else. Im tossing it in the fire, and giving it regular abuse.
Do I want to do this to a expensive pot/skillet or a basic "if it get's ruined I wont die over it."

So I went the cheap pan, but then I seasoned it with course salt and oil.
I rubbed it in really good and slow baked it. cooled and redid it all again.
I season four times before I actully use them.
By then they are black and smooth and ready for use.

Maybe that is why I have had good luck. They need to be seasoned really well. Like breaking in a new car. You dont jump to 80MPH right off, you have to slowly break in the engine.

I never use metal utensils, always wood as to not score the pans. Never use soap to wash as this does in the seasoning and you have to start again.

I will say this, I have a set of REVEREWARE for pots and pans. Copper bottom. They are my EXCLUSIVE set of pans. They cost $50.00 for the full 11 piece set.
I have one original REVEREWARE pot Grandmother owned, 1905,? giving to my mother 1940's, that was passed to me in 1970. I still have and use this pan. Thats a 100?year old pan? My REVEREWARE pans are from 1970 when I bought them with my marriage at the time. This is 2006 and Im still useing them. 35 years later and they dont show age. My 105 year old pan looks the same as the 35 year old pan.
My cast iron I have is I'm thinking 6 years old now, and the other one is older, and they are fine.

Maybe its about the care you give them and the seasoning. I know to season will make them tougher. So that might be the secret here.
:thinking:
Back to you
Raven
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby WoodyGA » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Raven, I agree with you on the Revere thing. I won't touch any other brand of general cookware. My first set of Revere was the ones with the heavy disc bottoms. Thought it was one of those items "lost in divorce", so when I moved I bought a new set. Turns out the old set had ended up in storage. So I have two sets of Revere, and wouldn't part with 'em.

I haven't bought a Dutch Oven yet, but I'm looking at one of those HF ones. Of course, down here you can get good ones at the small home-town hardware stores, so I might do that.

Thanks for the tip on seasoning them four times. That could save a lot of grief for people not used to cooking with cast iron-- me, I always cook my breakfast in a small cast iron skillet, even at home. Bacon first, keep the some of the grease for frying up an egg. If the skillet is seasoned good, it's better than teflon!
WoodyGA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm

I have alot of vintage iron and a few harbor freight peices and some Lodge and some Camp Chef. My favorites are of course the very old Griswold, Klean Kutter and Wagner stuff, smooth as glass and you get the nostalgia feel. There is a BIG difference in quality. That being said an $8 duthc oven cooks beans too. I always have one or two extra HF ovens around seasoned and used that I give to friends and family, It is a great introduction to the fun of Iron cooking.

This is a extra large harbor freight pan that blew up when I was cooking on an electric stove I think it did not heat evenly and cracked.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1