best way to do steaks while camping.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Re: best way to do steaks while camping.

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Ok, the Weber finish cooks it, but still how does one do the oven thing while out with the camper? :thinking:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Here's some more information on reverse searing...

But ya, we don't have the equipment to put a steak in an oven or a smoker while camping... So does any one have a good idea? I've never tried holding the temp in a Weber down to 250-275. Is that do-able?

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _sear.html

lrrowe wrote:How does one reverse seer while camping? I never heard of this method before this thread.
From what I found on Google is that you put the steak into a 275 degree F for 45-60 minutes. Who has an oven like that available in a camping trailer?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Mike, on a regular Weber Kettle grill you can hold the low temps by how you load the charcoal. This works excellent when smoking on a Weber. Just arrange the coals in a rope like fashion, or a horseshoe . All you want to do is ring the outside of the lower rack with about 3-4 coals piled all the way around ,but leave about a 6" gap. Then just light the one end. The coals will burn, following the charcoal rope. This will last about 3-4 hours without adding any charcoal. Temps will be about 225-250 degrees. If you want more heat, just make the rope slightly deeper. A remote thermometer would make it easy to maintain temps you want.

I have not done this on a smokey Joe. It may be to small.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Here's some more information on reverse searing...

But ya, we don't have the equipment to put a steak in an oven or a smoker while camping... So does any one have a good idea? I've never tried holding the temp in a Weber down to 250-275. Is that do-able?

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... _sear.html

[quote="lrrowe"t ]How does one reverse seer while camping? I never heard of this method before this thread.
From what I found on Google is that you put the steak into a 275 degree F for 45-60 minutes. Who has an oven like that available in a camping trailer?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Thanks Mike.
This link told me a lot about grilling meats which I did not know about. I am anxious to try it. Ordering my thermometer now.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I tried to reverse sear a steak tonight. I brought a thick rib eye up to 135 degrees F in my regular oven and then put it on my small BBQ grill for several minutes and I must admit, it was one of the best steaks I have cooked in a long time. And this was even thought I might have grilled it a little too long.

Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Looks yummy Bob.

Never tried it but I imagine you could use a Dutch oven while camping to bring to temp (place steaks on a trivet) and then finish off on a grill. Or if their is electricity at the campsite I guess you could try sous vide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

The afternoon that we're going to have steak for supper, I take it out, pat it dry, coat with olive oil, Montréal steak spice and a quick splash of tabasco. Throw it into a ziplock back and put it back in the cooler for a couple hours. At suppertime, get a pan full of sliced onions and mushrooms, lotsa butter, garlic and seasoning salt. When that's almost ready, propane grill on high and throw on the steaks for 3-4 minutes each side. Remove from the heat onto a plate, throw all the onions and mushrooms on top and wrap with foil for 5-10 minutes. Delicious, juicy steak with all the toppings dripping the garlic-ey buttery flavors over the steak while it rests. It's pretty amazing :thumbsup:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:55 pm

All depends on the mood I'm in. Can be direct on the coals caveman style. Sow smoked and reverse seared over high high. Cast Iron seared in butter So many ways! Some of it depends on the cut too. Tri tip and London broil I'll tend to differently than a rib-eye or a t-bone.

My Weber Smokey Joe goes everywhere with me. So quite often this is what we have.

Salt Crust Prime rib in the DO

Tri tip in the home built Mini-WSM

Caveman!

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Those methods all sound delicious, and I do like a good steak; but here is another method I like, too.

My mom always used to make BBQ spare ribs using Chinese red pork seasoning, but i found that to be a lot of prep work cutting up the ribs, they can be messy to eat, and aren't the healthiest thing.

So I substitute steak loin tips. They are about the same size and shape as ribs, take the marinade well, you can eat them with a knife and fork, there is very little fat and no gristle.

Do the marinade ahead and pack it all in a zip bag; pat dry and allow to warm some before grilling.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:43 pm

You are all making me very hungry
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:47 pm

ImageImage

I cooked these the other night. Reverse seared porterhouse stuffed with oysters on the weber kettle with mushroom and oyster sause
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1