New TV Pasta Cooker

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

New TV Pasta Cooker

Postby bobinohio » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:19 am

Shades of Ginsu knives and...

I saw this on TV last night (might bear on Oklahomajewels post too).

The cooker looks like a piece of 3" clear plastic pipe a little longer than boxed spaghetti. You put your 'sketty in the tube pour in boiling water to cover and let it sit for 8 (?) minutes. The ad claims it keeps the water hot like a thermos so it might be double walled. Also includes a regular lid AND a straining cover. Just the thing for fresh asparagus (sp? nothin' looks right... I'd have to get up to get the dictionary, so...) too.

Bad news is... about $20- plus S&H (another 20? :shock: ?)

Anybody going to get one? Feel free to invite me over for a test run ;) If you start seeing them in stores let me know. They should go for about $14.95 in OddlotBiglotJoblotSurplusjunk type stores.

Bob

I need to add "eating pasta" to my interests in my profile.
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:45 am

I've seen that Pasta Express on tv too... But you have to boil water to pour in there, so why not just throw the pasta into the boiling water?

If it's like the other "as seen on tv" stuff, it'll probably show up at Walgreens, or CVS or WalMart.

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:52 am

I worked in a restaurant (years ago) and we would "pre-cook" our pasta. Whatever pasta we were using would be cooked (almost fully) durind that day, to use later. We also used to portion it out, freeze it (leftovers....) and it could be used (and ready) in 30-45 sec. We had a "Spagetti Magic" to cook it in though, just an oversived pot (a deep fryer with water instead of oil).

I've been doing this for years when I camp, cook it ahead of time, seal in a zip loc, and freeze it (helps keep the cooler cold as well). When I want it I open the bag (letting air in) and boil it in the bag. No straining req'd.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:00 pm

It doesn't sound like it will allow the extra starch to come out, that means sticky noodles.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:47 pm

asianflava wrote:It doesn't sound like it will allow the extra starch to come out, that means sticky noodles.

My method or the TV version..... :thinking:
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby bobinohio » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:41 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:I've seen that Pasta Express on tv too... But you have to boil water to pour in there, so why not just throw the pasta into the boiling water? julie

Sorry, I thought your question/ problem was keeping the water boiling for 10 minutes- as in cooking pasta :oops:

This is supposed to eliminate that.

asianflava wrote: It doesn't sound like it will allow the extra starch to come out, that means sticky noodles.

True. But it "cooks right before your eyes". :lol: And you want non sticky too???

Bob
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:29 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:
asianflava wrote:It doesn't sound like it will allow the extra starch to come out, that means sticky noodles.

My method or the TV version..... :thinking:

TV version.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:10 pm

Ummm....couldn't someone make their own version with a piece of PVC pipe (clean, of course), capped on the bottom with an end cap (permanently glued on) and two different end caps for the top; one solid, one with holes drilled in to use as a strainer?

This would be very lightweight to carry in the galley.

I just love PVC pipe!

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby bobinohio » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:48 am

gailkaitschuck wrote:Ummm....couldn't someone make their own version with a piece of PVC pipe...

This would be very lightweight to carry in the galley.

I just love PVC pipe!

Gail

Me too.

And yes it sure looks to me like somthing good to make at home. Maybe use the tube during travel for storge of cooking utensils.

I've been looking around for a scrap piece of clean 3" (could use 4" but thats a lot more water) and a cap. I think I'll just dry fit the cap until I find out if it works. ...hate to waste perfectly good PVC...

The best things, again if it works, is that it frees a burner (or spot at the fire) and it doesn't need to be "watched".

Take a look at the plastic electrical conduit. There are "pipes" with a female end so tent poles/ supports can be made two piece, for easy storage, w/o a fitting.

In a similar vein... I found a "tailpipe expander" at Harbor Freight. It goes from 1.15" to 1.70". I haven't had a chance to play with it, (I hope I can rework it to fit in 1" tube- EMT). It does go inside 1 1/4" conduit easily but that is quite a bit heavier than 1" and costs more. I also can't recall seeing a hand bender for 1 1/4.

Bob
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

A French Press Coffeemaker

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:34 pm

How about using a French Press Coffee Pot. That way you would also get a great coffee pot for the same price. And a built in collander

Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Great point Guy! I bought one of those on ebay after reading about them here.

I'll make spagetti tonight and let you know how this works.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Gail, what time is dinner?

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Gail, What time should we all show up?
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:34 pm

7 p.m.. Oops, too late!

Report....the French Press (which supposedly holds 8 cups) was not tall enough to place the spaghetti noodles in without breaking them in half (no biggie except some like long noodles).

I poured the boiling water in, put the top back on, let it sit for at least 10 minutes. The press made draining easy. The spaghetti was done but "al dente"; a bit chewy (which lots of folks like). Not really sticky at all. Pretty tasty.

The bottom line...if you have a French Press, don't spend the extra $20 (plus shipping) to order the TV PastaExpress; there's nothing "magical" about how it works in terms of cooking spaghetti.

The only concern I'd have is breaking the glass French Press going traveling in the teardrop (but if you are already using it while camping, it can do double duty). The next trip to Lowes, I'm going to see about getting a piece of ?3 inch? ?4 inch? PVC pipe and end caps and do a bit of experimenting with that.

Burp!

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Gail, try polycarbonate

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Gail,

They have polycarbonate unbreakable French Presses. They are actually the lowest priced presses. Also today for the irst time I saw insulated thermos types.
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:34 pm

My glass French press, which sets into a steel cage like sheath has been all over the world with me and on all camping trips... somewhere along the line it did get a small chip out of the glass on the rim, but still makes great coffee... providing I remember to bring along my grinder.

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1