Chili Mix

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 am

Yes to the High Liquid Content... but it's from the tomatoes...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:53 pm

Mike,
En Tejas, what we do for that is put a tablespoon or two of masa in the chili about 20 minutes before we serve it.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Laredo wrote:Mike,
En Tejas, what we do for that is put a tablespoon or two of masa in the chili about 20 minutes before we serve it.

Okay, so you guys like your spoon to stand up in your chili... we do that with our coffee...

BTW, I've got that second cherry pepper that we talked about, sitting here on the counter... I'd take a bite out of it, but the last bite hurt for at least half an hour...

So I think it's better that I send it to you... would you prefer the pepper, or the seeds?

Mike...

P.S. Have you ever tried Scotch Bonnet? How about Dave's Insanity Sauce?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:38 pm

Mike:

Dave's Insanity Sauce has the personality of a sadist ! ! ! :twisted:

The problem with Dave's Insanity Sauce is that it seriously turns uP the heat but the flavor isn't that exciting. The heat is the experience with Dave's and unless you are a masochist you don't even want to use more that one drop. At my watering hole they had a large selection of these sauces and Dave's would devastate most that thought they were men against the lowly pepper. My first experience was an airwaves, eye closing, experience that only a memory of how many steps and what direction was the bathroom door brought some respite to an hour long ordeal with no let up in pain. The hour was just the beginning... there was more to come. Some who rub their eyes unintentionally with a waft- or hint of Dave' have scars on their fingers let alone eyes :R I only saw one other special boxed sauce that was hotter unless maybe you get one or two from the the Caribbean. There most likely are more that devastate but let me tell you Dave's could be their poster boy of HOT sauces ! ! !

Dave's insanity sauce rests in my cupboard but all the other spices keep their distance.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:56 pm

Steve,

:lol:

I hear ya... When I tried Dave's Insanity sauce, I stood at the drinking fountain for an hour... I was at work and had no access to the traditional fire extinguishers...

I've taken a multi year break from hot peppers.... but this year I am filling the garden up with them... but no, you won't find bottles of Daves Insanity sauce growing out there... I prefer to play it a lot safer..

Hmmm maybe you can't call Thai, or Habenaro safer... but I still prefer that to Insanity Sauce...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:43 am

{virtual fingersnap}

cherry peppers -- Mike, unless they're crosspollinating somehow, those really are supposed to be sweet like a bell pepper. They are not supposed to burn your mouth.

and you're harvesting; it'll be another week before I can set out plants :cry:

on the brighter side, the plumbing for the house is fixed (two e-z outs, four dremel bits, and a honking big bent nail later).

Cherry peppers, picked green and preserved in vinegar, are wonderful little vege-noshes with barbecue. Jalapeno peppers treated the same way will light you right up.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:49 am

I think I found the problem... (I went to Kroger, where I bought the peppers, and asked what kind of peppers they were...) You'd be surprised what the guy told me...) Red Habenaro... so I went online and found this...

Caribbean Red
Seed for this habanero variety was found in the Caribbean, and then improved, resulting in a uniform, fiercely hot pepper that is way hotter than the regular orange habanero. Dried samples of Caribbean Red measured 445,000 Scoville units whereas regular habanero tested at about 260,000 Scovilles. This pepper must be used carefully, but is wonderful for salsas, marinades, and making your own hot sauce. Bright red, wrinkled fruits are about 1-1/2 inches deep and 1 inch wide and have flavor with fruity overtones. 110 days to red.

No wonder I was so surprised...

:o

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:04 am

mikeschn wrote:Caribbean Red
Seed for this habanero variety was found in the Caribbean, and then improved, resulting in a uniform, fiercely hot pepper that is way hotter than the regular orange habanero...

The Chile Woman (http://www.thechilewoman.com/) lists ten different varieties of habanero, including the Carribean type. If you're a big fan of hot, check out this Bloomington, Indiana lady's home page.

My own tastes have changed recently. I no longer like any pepper sauce with massive quantities of vinegar in it. That leaves out Tabasco, Cholula, and most of the other popular brands. I use Tapatio - great taste, hot and very little vinegar. So little, they list it as acetic acid on the label. :)

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:21 am

Mike:

You wrote: "My own tastes have changed recently. I no longer like any pepper sauce with massive quantities of vinegar in it. That leaves out Tabasco, Cholula, and most of the other popular brands. I use Tapatio - great taste, hot and very little vinegar."

Great point ... less vinegar is better I think as well.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 pm

Laredo,

If you like, I can send you some pepper seeds...

Meanwhile, here's something else we do wid them peppers... yumm

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Okay, Mike.
Your pepper seeds from last year yielded four peppers from the one surviving plant this year.
Hot peppers.
Seriously hot peppers.
Not the same thing I expected at all!!

Howsomesoever, they will be welcome additions to my winter fare. They have been stemmed, diced and frozen.

Thank you!!!!
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:43 pm

I'm glad to hear that... I have some new seeds for you...

They look like this http://www.jalabanero.com/

We have some beautiful peppers this year. I'll have to get out there and take a couple pictures.

Apparently I gave a jalabanero plant to a guy I work with. His wife, not knowing, thought it was a sweet pepper, and was planning on cooking with it. Apparently she tasted it...

Later when he came home, she chewed him up one side and down the other. So he tried it. He spent quite a while rinsing out his mouth with water.

But never mind that. I have some seeds for you! ;)

Mike...

P.S. I would have rinsed with sour cream!!!

P.P.S. I just ran outside and grabbed you a couple pics

mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Have you guys ever tasted the El Yucateco habenero sauce? It's a green sauce that I...... L-O-V-E in my chili!! The first time I had it in was in Missouri at a little resturant called Rosa's in Noel. Man, the next day my TEARS even burned my eyes :cry: :lol: !!!!!!!!!

www.elyucateco.com

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 pm

You guys talk about your stupid little peppers and chili mix and get 42 replys.... I post my chili recipe and get 6 replies.... Frankly.. my feelings are hurt...
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=13754

:x :? :oops: :roll: ;) :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WarPony » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Micro469 wrote:.... I post my chili recipe and get 6 replies....

No offense, John but you lost me with the mushrooms and celery. Sorry man, sounds like chil-sketti to me :lol: !!

Just ribbin' you!!

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1