Cold weather comfort foods

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Cold weather comfort foods

Postby Laredo » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:43 pm

What are your favorites?

Are they different in camp than at home?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:49 pm

...either a big ol' bowl of my award winnin' chili or an even larger bowl of the wife's(aka the poor girl) famous vegatable BEEF soup...inside or outside...of course for breakfast on a cold nasty morning, it is garlic, cheese grits with some red pepper over hot sourdough toast and some smoked sausage...can't nuthin' beat any of 'em for me
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:55 pm

Comfort foods to me means warm foods...

Dig out any Betty Crocker cookbook, and chances are you've found a good warm comfort food.

Now if I really stressed out, you'd better bring on some real comfort... ie. brownies, chocolate chip cookies, or raisin oatmeal cookies, all fresh out of the oven of course, still hot and steaming...

Otherwise, any normal food would work..

Chili
Meatloaf
Roast chicken
Hamburgers
Pot roast
Stroganoff
Steak

you get the idea...

Mike...

P.S. When the folks got off the bus from N.O to Texas, what were they asking for? Hamburgers and Coke... (Food for thought) right, wrong, or indifferent...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:36 pm

..When the folks from N.O. came thru during the evacuation they asked for 1) cokes(generic southern term for pop) 2) a bathroom 3) where the heck they were 4) anything to eat beside MRE's 5) had we seen their Aunt ??? 6) why do we haveta get back on the bus
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Henry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:48 pm

Beans and Hamhocks-Tommorows dinner from a New York Yankee in KY
Henry
Teardrop Builder

comfort food

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:18 pm

FRITO CHILI PIE y'all......

And how 'bout that hot corn on the cob with butter and salt... mmmm oh, that sounds more like State Fair food....
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:02 pm

All right, here's one for y'all:

1 cups stone ground cornmeal
3 cups water
generous pinch salt
two cloves minced garlic
10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
generous pinch chipotle pepper

Bring water and salt to a boil in a heavy pan. Stir in meal and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly. Add spices and cook until thickened. Stir in cheese; turn into a greased pan and bake until top is golden-brown.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:58 pm

Dang , I had Frito Pie tonite!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Its cold tonite & boy howdy did it go down good! :R
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Raven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:06 pm

This is comfort food to me...IRISH STEW
My uncle taught me this one, and I have not changed a thing.
Stew meat, Beef or your choice. Brown in BIG STEW pot, brown hot and fast to seal in juices, add a whole garlic and a BIG Valedella Onion or even two. I use two like he did, chop big chunks and fast fry with the meat still in, get the juices going together.
Now add a cup of Black berry wine to deglaze the pan of meat and onions, I have tried Rum here before and has successful results. Beer does nice as well.
Now the rest is fast and easy, a med size can of each is added with juices.
1 CAN CORN
1 CAN GREEN BEANS
2 CAN MIXED VEGGIES
2 CANS OF WHOLE NEW POTATOES
1/2 CUP BARLEY
1 ZUCCHINI CHOPPED IN CHUNKS
1 PACKAGE OF MUSHROOMS CHOPPED IN CHUNKS

Now bring to boil, and reduce to low to simmer.. I let mine go for at least 3 hours. This one is excellent in the crock pot as well. Or on a campsite, use the dutch oven and cover for the day sitting next to the fire.

Just before your ready to serve break out a batch of southern sweet cornbread and honey.
:applause:
Im hungry already... this is comfort to me.
By the way, this makes enough for 4 to 6 people. And of course ALWAYS better the next day.
Many times I make on one day and serve it the next day.
:R
If you like "heat" add a dash of chipotle pepper to it. Gives it a smokey heat taste.
Enjoy
Raven
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1