Roast Recipe for Dean

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Roast Recipe for Dean

Postby Guy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:53 pm

Dear Dean,

Here is a GREAT roast recipe for the grill.

Beef Rib Roast and Yorkshire Pudding from the Grill
From Bob House, Scottsdale, Arizona

Prime rib with Yorkshire pudding makes a grand grilled feast.

In an attempt to "barbecue the impossible," Bob House came up with a way to simultaneously grill prime rib and Yorkshire pudding. He rubs the prime rib with an herb-flavored oil, then grills it, catching the drippings below the meat in a pan on the firegrate. Then he pours Yorkshire pudding batter into the drip pan, where it puffs in the hot fat and browns from the heat of the coals.

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 1/2 hours

NOTES: A charcoal grill easily accommodates the Yorkshire pudding; you'll need 1 foil pan to collect drippings from roast for pudding. If using a gas grill, you need a minimum of 2 inches of open space between the heat source and the bottom of the grill to fit drip pan. But since the pudding tends to scorch when cooked on a gas grill, after you pour the batter into the drip pan, transfer it to an oven to bake and put a second pan under the roast.

MAKES: 5 to 7 servings

1 center-cut beef rib roast (4 to 5 lb.), surface of fat trimmed to no more than 1/4 inch thick

Garlic-herb oil (recipe follows)

1 cup low-fat milk

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 large eggs

About 3/4 teaspoon salt

Melted butter or margarine (optional)

Watercress sprigs

Pepper

1. Rinse beef and pat dry. Coat all over with garlic-herb oil.

2. Prepare barbecue for indirect heat. When barbecue is medium-hot, set an 8-inch square foil pan in center of firegrate or directly on heat source in gas barbecue (see notes); set grill in place. Set roast, bones down, on grill over drip pan. Cover barbecue; open vents for charcoal. Cook for 45 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a blender, whirl milk, flour, eggs, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until batter is smooth.

4. Transfer roast to a platter. Protecting your hands, lift grill off and remove drip pan. Pour drippings through a fine strainer into a bowl.

If using a charcoal grill, return 1 tablespoon drippings to pan; discard remainder. Return pan to firegrate and pour batter into pan. Replace grill, set roast back over pan, cover barbecue, and cook until medium-rare (135° in center of thickest part), 30 to 50 minutes longer, or until done to your taste. Cook pudding until well browned, 40 to 50 minutes.

If using a gas grill, return 3 tablespoons drippings (adding melted butter, if needed, to make this amount) to pan and pour in batter. Quickly set another 8-inch square pan on heat source, replace grill, set roast over pan, cover barbecue, and cook until medium-rare (135° in center of thickest part), 30 to 50 minutes longer, or until done to your taste. Meanwhile, bake pudding in a 375° oven until well browned, 30 to 40 minutes.

5. Transfer roast to a platter; let stand in a warm place for juices to settle, at least 10 minutes. If pudding is done before roast is ready to carve, close charcoal barbecue vents and leave pudding in barbecue to keep warm, or turn oven heat off and keep pudding warm in the oven.

6. Scoop pudding in large portions from pan and place around roast. Garnish with watercress. Carve roast and serve with pudding. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Per serving: 934 cal., 68% (639 cal.) from fat; 53 g protein; 71 g fat (27 g sat.); 18 g carbo (0.8 g fiber); 426 mg sodium; 269 mg chol.

Garlic-herb oil

In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons each dried rosemary, dried savory, dried thyme, and coarse-ground pepper; whirl until finely chopped. (Or mince garlic and mix in a bowl with remaining ingredients.) Makes 1/3 cup.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:15 am

Hey,
That sounds real good!!!
Thanks Guy!!!
(Although I have no idea what Yorkshire pudding is...)

Yorkshire pudding

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:21 am

Yorkshire Pudding is a very light puff of pastry that is incredible with Roasts. The perfect size, taste and texture to slop up the juices and gravy with.

They look like this

Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:26 am

Dang!!!!
You know... I worked late, didn't get home from work until about 8:30, so I skipped dinner.
Come to think of it... skipped lunch and breakfast too.
(Unless strong coffee counts as breakfast)
I'm really hungry now. :lol:

Re: Yorkshire pudding

Postby subtearanean » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:55 am

Guy wrote:Yorkshire Pudding is a very light puff of pastry that is incredible with Roasts. The perfect size, taste and texture to slop up the juices and gravy with.

They look like this

We call those "popovers", make them without the drippings. Usually will do them for a breakfast every now and then

Yorkshire we always make in a 9" skillet, drippings in, toss in the over 'til good and hot, then the egg mixture in and back in the oven till done. Slice into wedges. It's a good idea to be hooked to a cholesterometer when partaking.
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Just thought

Postby Guy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:31 am

Dear Sub,

I just thought the popover style would would tweak Dean's memory since that is all they serve in restaurants here. The recipe calls for the real ones in the pan with the drippings.
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gman » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:39 am

Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:31 am

Yorkshire Pudding???? in the words of Homer Simpson....arrrrrrrrrrr!!! think drool............. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Raven » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:55 pm

When I make mine, I use a cast iron muffin pan, add some of the fat from the beef, baked until puffed and then add some fresh horseradish in the center with the juices and serve with the roast. With that I have
Fresh oven roast herbed small new potatoes and carrots, steamed veggies. For desert to honor the meat a nice chocolate moose served with a crisp red wine.
Nothing better to drive the cold night away..
By the way, Tucson is finally getting rain and forcast for snow as well.
Some days life is just to good. We all need the rain so very bad. So I see this as a blessing..
Merry Christmas..
Raven (cece)
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby billnut » Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 am

Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1