RV omelets in a bag

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

RV omelets in a bag

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:18 am

I went back to find my old post about this, since I'm planning this for Saturday breakfast at Beavers Bend, OK this next weekend.

I had a hard time finding it since I put it in a different section.

Check it out

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

There are other inputs about "boil in a bag" ideas.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Julie,

I tried the omlet recipe this morning. Worked great and the omletes were very tasty! Next time I'mg going to throw some cheese in there too.
Thanks for the great recipe.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Well I had to try it too.

Postby GeorgeT » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:51 am

Well I just had to try this too. I cooked up 3 omlettes in bags. Turned out great, tasty and cooked all the way through. I put in cheddar cheese, bell pepper, chopped ham, chopped onions, dash salt and dash garlic powder. Mmmm good!! Next time I may put in a little real butter, sliced olives and chopped up pecans. :R

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:57 am

My earlier post on this subject disappeared. :thumbdown:

I liked the idea, tried it, but the eggs came out a little bland with little flavor. The lack of flavor seemed to come from boiling the contents and not cooking it. I will try this again to see if I can get better results!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:02 am

PresTx82
Try adding a little beacon greese to the mix. :thumbsup:

That should give it that cooked in a skillet flavor.

I save the juice left over from smoking a brisket. A little over a baked potato gives it that smokey flavor and it also goes good on omlettes.:ok:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Thanks, sounds ike a good idea. I'll try it.
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:53 pm

So is it a good idea to get the omlets ready ahead of time or should it be done at the campsite? I imagine eggs would keep longer in the shell but it would be more convenient to prepair them at home and keep them in the ice chest. Thanks.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby madjack » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:18 pm

...I dunno, we prepared ours at the time of cooking at Beaver's Bend...about 35 of 'em...no problems except for the cooks...thanks Julie and Cindy :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:01 pm

I tried this on Saturday for breakfast and I was really happy with the results.

I sauted my green peppers and onions in some butter before adding to my eggs. I'm definately making this again!

dakotamouse

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jagular7 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:04 am

I've always used a pre-fab mix and kept that in the cooler. Take your eggs, milk and veggies, blend together and put into water bottle (w/ large mouth opening), keep well cold till use in a day or so. To limit the amount in the cooler, I also freeze couple of water bottles. This will hold cold in the cooler for a few days.

Or a couple of bowls of Coco Puffs goes a long way even with a 10 yr old....
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:04 am

dakotamouse wrote:I tried this on Saturday for breakfast and I was really happy with the results.

I sauted my green peppers and onions in some butter before adding to my eggs. I'm definately making this again!

dakotamouse

I think sauteeing the veggies is okay, if you're doing that ahead of time .
Otherwise if I've got the skillet hot for sauteeing then I might as well throw the eggs in there.

We made about 25 of these, boiling 10 or so at a time in a large pot, and all were happy! I didn't have a problem with the veggies, they softened when cooked. I would agree with some who have added some seasoning, like basil or ?

Since these come out of the bag kinda rolled up, you could put it in a tortilla and make it a breakfast burrito, or wrap in a pancake! haha

Or even do for a different kind of dinner.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ChaseLounge » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:09 am

PresTx82 wrote:My earlier post on this subject disappeared. :thumbdown:

I liked the idea, tried it, but the eggs came out a little bland with little flavor. The lack of flavor seemed to come from boiling the contents and not cooking it. I will try this again to see if I can get better results!

:campfire:

Pres, when cooking an omelette, our chefs sautee' the vegetables and meat all together for a few minutes, then add the eggs. This brings-out the flavors. However, I think pre-sauteeing the ingredients in a bag would kind of defeat the purpose of cooking in the ziploc bag.

Maybe if you're already cooking some ingredients for another meal, you could save some of it for omelettes the next morning. In fact, now that I think about it, you could portion little bits of what you're already cooking the day before, into ziploc bags and put in the cooler, then all you have to do is add the eggs the next morning.

We're leaving in the morning to go camping in Rhode Island for a week and I think I'll try it. I had already planned to try the omelettes, anyway. I'll let you know how it tastes.
Building Our First Teardrop
ChaseLounge
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:00 am

CL,

Thanks for the advice. I think maybe I didn't try this technique as well as my wife did.

She liked the idea and this morning (while camping) she cooked me up three eggs, some steak (left over from the night before-cut cubed), some diced oinion, cut mushrooms and flavored it with salt and pepper and boiled it in a zip lock bag and it tasted great. No complaints, and I could taste the onion, mushroom and seasonings. The mushrooms really gave it the extra zing!

Maybe my taste buds weren't working on my experimental run earlier......................?!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:04 pm

We just did this for lunch!!! Yummy!!! :thumbsup:

Added butter in it also...but forgot the bacos though :(
Great Idea!!! Thanks!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:24 pm

This technique for cooking worked great on our vacation this past week!! We put a little spin on it by using grated potatoes, cheddar cheese chunks and ham cubes in, also.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1