Camp Cooking On the Road

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Bigwoods » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:59 pm

I make the dehydrated hamburger as discribes. Buy as lean as possible, brown and run hot or boiling water over it and dehydtrate. I canoe camp alot, but I take this as it will last a long time. It does take 15 mins. to rehydtrate and works well with hanburger helper or spagetti if simmered for a while.

Another good idea is the tuna and chicken in foil pouches.
Greg in Northern Minnesota

Bigwoods
500 Club

Postby PakRat63 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Chip wrote:
indy,, try looking at ya local backpacking store for de-hydrated foods,, they can be a bit pricey but they are light weight, and one pot prep, just boil water, some actually dont taste like cardboard

Chip, some how you've confused that stuff with food.
Remember that "Meals, Ready to Eat" were invented by your Federal Government, as i discovered a few years ago on a sunny beach in Korea (If i'm part of the world's greatest nuclear navy, why do i have to wash my socks in a bucket?) "Meals, Ready to Eat", who else but the Fed's could lie so convincingly, three times, in such rapid succession....

Keep 'em rubber side down,
pete
Accept that some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue! pete
PakRat63
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chef » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:52 am

PakRat63 wrote:Chip, some how you've confused that stuff with food.
Remember that "Meals, Ready to Eat" were invented by your Federal Government, as i discovered a few years ago on a sunny beach in Korea (If i'm part of the world's greatest nuclear navy, why do i have to wash my socks in a bucket?) "Meals, Ready to Eat", who else but the Fed's could lie so convincingly, three times, in such rapid succession....

Keep 'em rubber side down,
pete

I need to agree on the MRE's. I had the pleasure of trying these and while I would be greatful for them in an emergency (I keep some for that use) I wouldn't want to plan meals with them on a trip I want to enjoy. I personally preffered the MCI (commonly reffered to as "C-rations)

May I make a suggestion on dehydrated ground beef - don't use commercial ground beef! The dehydrating process has the beef in the food danger zone for too long and even cooking can't kill all the possible bugs that can be found in ground beef bought from the store. If you want to do this (and I do think it is a good idea) buy a very lean piece of round, cube it and then chop (grind) it in your food processor. Then continue with the rest of the process. Not only is it safer, you will find chopped beef is much better this way than the store bought version. It is what I use when cooking at home.
Eager to Learn
Chef
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:48 am

PakRat63 wrote:Remember that "Meals, Ready to Eat" were invented by your Federal Government...

AKA "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians." :lol:
I had them at Camp Lejeune when my SeaBee unit was training with the Marines for Desert Shield/Storm. I took the dehydrated beef and cooked it up with the package of gravy and the baked beans. That saved me a bit of time when I sh*t-canned the whole thing.

The peanut butter in them isn't too bad...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Laredo » Tue May 02, 2006 11:10 pm

You can take the freeze dried fruit and put it in some warm water and let it stand overnight, and it ain't bad. Otherwise it's like a granola bar without the seeds, nuts and oatmeal.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby munch » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:42 am

the man said One pan One dish Very little mess....this brings me to my question where i cant seem to find a great place to ask it, IM still new and learning.

I got my dutch oven and a skillet, I LOVE COOKING IN THEM but find that the clean up is the pain i was not wanting for camping.

Looking for any kind of suggestion.....during camping i normally just wipe it out and smear more oil on it because that is what someone told me to do. but it seems that i have cooked on stuff and crunchies on there, when i try to scrape them off it looks like the pan is now not in tip top condition. I leave it alone the last day of the camping trip. Then have reconditioned it every time making sure i treat em right.

Thanks in advance.

V :D lookin to learn in all the right places
munch
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:36 pm

munch...it might be heresy to some but I use a SS scrub pad and a little water (soap as needed) to clean my CI...heat the CI to evaporate the water and re-oil...has worked for me for over 30 years and my mother for much longer.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Joanne » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:12 pm

I know this one has been around forever, but it's quick, easy and filling.

1 package Velveeta macaroni cheese
1 can tuna fish
1 slice onion (finely diced)

Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the box.
Add the tuna and onion then mix.
Return to low heat until hot.

If you are cooking with a Dutch Oven, you could top with bread crumbs, corn flakes, or whatever, then bake until the topping is browned.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1