Camp Cooking On the Road

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby IndyTom » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:23 pm

I knew you guys were going to have all my answers. I think I may test market some of these recipes to the family this weekend.

Chip, if you can come up with recipe as good as that one sounds, I just my have to start drinking pickle and crown myself so I can have the same inspiration you have. :picklejuice:
Seriously, my maternal grandfather was a german american and I grew up eating dishes like that. Unfortunately none of the rest of my family shares my enthusiasm german style food.

Laredo, both those recipes sound great.

And thanks to everyone that has given me ideas on storing food. I too would like more info on the dried hamburger. I dont care for carrying any more raw meat than I have to.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:18 pm

Tom:

You got my interest with dried meats for the Teardrop travels. :thinking:

Here is a site I found that has Hawaiian Jerky, Hamburger gravel and Chicken gravel makings and more tips for camp cooking. http://tinyurl.com/rmc5w

Copied from above link:

Hawaiian Jerky :)

I’ve tried this recipe with chicken (uncooked boneless chicken breasts) and have found that, once again, the key is to sprinkle cayenne pepper on the strips just before drying. I use various ratios of pineapple, soy sauce, and Sherry for the marinade recipe. A 2/2/1 ratio works well, but a 1/2/1 ratio also works, as does a 1/1/1 ratio. Using straight teriyaki sauce also works well as a marinade. I just can’t find a substitute for the “kick” that the cayenne pepper gives, though.

Hamburger "Gravel" :)

Cook very lean hamburger meat and then rinse it with hot water in a colander to remove all the fat possible. Dehydrate on a sheet until the end result seems like a gravel mixture. Store in zip-lock bags for the trail. I use about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of the dehydrated gravel for a Mac & Cheese meal for one. It re-hydrates fairly well, and stores long enough to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail since it is cooked before dehydration.

Chicken “Gravel” :)

Boil an entire chicken in a large pot for about an hour or so, until it is completely cooked. Drain the water and let the meat cool before picking the pieces off the bones. Cut or shred the pieces into small parts and dehydrate until very dry. About 1/3 cup of the dried chicken will give a good meat portion for a meal for one person when added to a Lipton meal, etc. It may be a little chewy when eaten, but will last forever on the trail, and saves buying a can of chicken at the store to add to a meal.
Here is one more site on dehydrating meat. http://tinyurl.com/qqgl9

I haven't tried this drying method but you got me curious. Will have to try these out to see if the taste and trouble is worth the effort. Guess if the goal is not having raw meat in the cooler too long than this may be a solution.
:)
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Steve,

I used to make the hamburger gravel back when I backpacked in the '70's. It works great. Just make darned certain the meat is dry, because if it isn't, it will mold quickly. But, frankly, I don't see the need to find a way to make backpacking menus when we are building teardrops with ovens and cooktops, running water and DVD/TV systems. Seems like we need to be talking about how to carry live lobster and wine cabinets so we can have a feast when we get to camp!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 pm

...I'm sorry, I am camping inna tear not truckin' thru the backwoods. Whenever I think dehydrated hamburger, I think Taco Hell...I have never had trouble keeping meats for a week, any more than that I goto the store for some more TYVM....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:34 pm

Guy's .... Guy's

Don't shoot the messenger !

Tom asked:
And thanks to everyone that has given me ideas on storing food. I too would like more info on the dried hamburger. I dont care for carrying any more raw meat than I have to.

I say I haven't done the dry meat method ... and can understand your feelings Chris and Jack that is Mad... but I was just searching for answers here. :oops:

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:41 pm

not shooting the messenger just thinking like Chris...last time I backpacked it was 10 days on the Appalachian Trail and the same items I thought so delicious on the trail could hardly be forced down when I returned home...
madjack 8)

p.s. those are good ideas for survival foods and my wife(aka the poor girl) uses a dehydrater on a regular basis to make all kinds of delicious jerky...make ya wanna shoot the folks that make the cr@p they sell in the stores.......
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:45 pm

Last time I backpacked, Madjack, I didn't!!!!! :o I let my llamas carry the load.............and we had live lobster along with us for the first night out, filet mignon the second and wine throughout the 6 days of "roughing" it in the backcountry! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby apratt » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:46 pm

here is a quick meal I make time to time, brown some hamburgar then throw in some red and green peppers sliced and some onions. then put it in flour tortillas and some montery jack cheese. :Flippin Burger: :Flippin Burger:
p.s. forgot the most important indredient ... salsa lot of it!!!
Last edited by apratt on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm

...well we didn't eat quite that good since we had to pack it all ourselves but we did have fresh bisquits every morning along with real brewed coffee and we did bring along a half gallon of Wild Turkey and some other treats ;) :shhh: :whistle: ...I think we scared a few folks along the way....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 pm

madjack wrote: Wild Turkey and some other treats ;) :shhh: :whistle: .....
madjack 8)

We like treats ...

;)
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:06 pm

...4 20 :thinking: what an amazing coincidence :roll: :whistle: ...anything further can only be told around a campfire....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:41 am

Guys, guys, I was only curious about dehydrating the hamburger and other stuff. Sounded like something I would want to do if I were doing some real roughing it on my own, or maybe with the boys when they are a little older.

I can assure you the the Giant Hoosier Tear will have a small wine cellar (for Mom and Dad after dealing with two young boys all day) and the cuisine will be very civilized (for the most part). :twisted:

Seriously, I am loving this thread, there is tremendous collected wisdom among the people here.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, okay -- this is NOT backpacker food; it lives in my desk drawer in case I can't get away for lunch.

1 package Moderno pumpkin seed pasta -- 25 cents in any Kmart
1 thrift-store soup mug
3 tablespoons 'gumbo' mix in a snack-size Ziploc
1 small pouch chicken

Gumbo mix:
1/3 cup dried bell pepper (you can make this at home easy)
1/4 cup onion flakes
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon New Mexico chile powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon dill weed
(you can leave this out; I just like it better than file' powder; if you
use file', you'll need about 3/8 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon low-sodium chicken bouillon
3/4 teaspoon celery salt (this is *the* key)

Mix all the above well and store in a cool dark place in a double Ziploc or a clean mayo jar. Keeps about 3 months. Pitch a big tablespoonful in the water for cooking rice, pasta or couscous; if you cook beans, pitch half that much in the soaking water.

Easy way to completely cook a whole chicken: take out the innards packed in the cavity; rinse everything really well including the (unpackaged) innards. Put it in a heavy pot with enough cold water to cover and a teaspoonful of salt. Set on medium heat; bring to a boil.
Pour this water off, rinse everything again. Cover with cold water, set back on the fire, bring to a boil again; cover tightly, turn off fire. When the pot is cool enough to touch the chicken will fall off the bones and be done.

I use this method with chicken leg quarters or thighs. You can discard the skin and bones, strain the broth, and have the basis for the *best* chicken noodle soup, chicken tortilla soup, or green chile chicken enchiladas you ever ate. Not to mention any sort of Asian-style chicken dish.

Emeril makes a French preserved meat, a confit. He uses duck, but you can do it with duck, turkey, goose, pork ... it's tasty, but you have to not be on a lowfat diet.

Homemade beef jerky:
Buy a London broil. Soak it at least 2 hours in the following marinade:
1 bottle Italian dressing
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon Bufalo Chipotle hot sauce
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
(overnight's better; the more of this the meat absorbs the better your jerky will taste)
Pour off marinade; slice raw steak as for fajitas and lay on cookie sheets.
Place in slow oven with door open 1/2 inch (about 275 degrees F) for at least six hours (eight to 12 is better, or hang strips in indirect smoke). Rotate pan 90 degrees about every 4 hours.

You can do this with venison too -- I like it better if it's soaked in buttermilk a couple of hours before marinating.

You can probably do this with chicken, etc., but I'm a little leery of poultry jerky.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:50 am

Don't forget to checkout the camping omletts in this section.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Camp cooking on the road

Postby gerry boucher » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Campfire Tacos

Brown 1lb of hamburger, drain fat

Sprinkle on garlic and onion powder to your liking

Get several 1 oz or snack size bags of Doritos and crush them in the bag.
Open bag and spoon in hamburger, shredded cheese, lettuce,
and salsa and mix in bag.

Now grab a fork and eat right out of the bag and best part is very little to clean up.

Cubscouts love them.
gerry boucher
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1