Please help with camping menu (sans DO) :)

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Please help with camping menu (sans DO) :)

Postby tomkat6546 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Well, we are off to our 3rd camping trip this weekend in our new TD. We do NOT have a cast iron DO, but do have a Magnalite DO. We are not ready to sacrifice it to the coal gods at this point, nor does it have a flat lid amenable to placing coals on it, so let's just say we only use it for (coleman) stove top. We have a variety of other pots and pans, plus a small BBQ/hibachi thing and a griddle top that fits on the coleman stove.

So, my question is: Could you please provide menu suggestions for stove top or grilling dinners (or lunches and breakfasts)? My creativity is lacking at this point! We would like to pack everything with us, only stopping at a store for ice if at all possible.

Here are current menu items (though they are menu items from the first two trips, so...a little deviation would be welcomed!) please let me know of any of your "staple" or "go-to" recipes.
:Flippin Burger:

Breakfasts:
cereal, yogurt
eggs (over easy or scrambled), bacon
pancakes (on the stovetop griddle)

Lunch:
cold cut sandwiches, chips
mac-n-cheese & hot dog

Dinner:
hamburgers
hot dogs
chili
sloppy joes
chicken ke-bobs on the grill (with veggies)
spaghetti with meat sauce

sides:
rice
pasta
various vegetable or pasta salads
fruit

Thanks!
Kathleen.
tomkat6546
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:44 pm

Kathleen, I tried an easy recipe last weekend. Pick up some pizza crust dough (near the crescent rolls) at the grocery. Cut up some salami or ham or both (small chunks), dice some onion and get some pepperoni (sliced). Mozerella cheese (or other good melting cheese is also needed.

OK, now, rub on some olive oil on a flat surface and flatten out the pizza dough, the thinner the better (like a small pizza about 6-8" in diameter). Grill the dough on one side untill slightly browned. Flip over the dough and then put the meat and cheese on one half, season with pepper and garlic salt. Fold over the dough & pinch the seam closed.

Cook on the grill until the cheese is fully melted and the dough is cooked.

Usually when the outside is nice and golden brown, it's done.

The more cheese the better. Cut into strips and get a nice cold drink.

Let us know how you make out. These "Calzones" or "Stromboli" are super easy to make and easy to eat. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby tomkat6546 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:14 pm

Kurt,
That sounds great! and we could do one for the kids and one for the grown ups. do you use one of those cardboard/pilsbury type tubes of pizza dough (just like the crescent rolls) or is it something else?
That sounds like something we will try! :twisted:
Thanks,
Kathleen.
tomkat6546
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 pm

tomkat6546 wrote:Do you use one of those cardboard/pilsbury type tubes of pizza dough (just like the crescent rolls) or is it something else?
That sounds like something we will try! :twisted:
Thanks,
Kathleen.

Just like the crescent roll tubes. It's kind of like a great grilled cheese and salami sandwich only better. 8)
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Kathleen,
If you can keep frozen vegies this is really good.

Start pan with small amount of olive oil
Take frozen stirfry (or any other vegies)
Season with Lawreys season salt (or favorite)
add grilled chicken
serve over Ramen Noodles.
This is really easy and is even good cold.

If you have a food dehydrator this works well. Just thaw and cut vegies smaller and dry, add seasoning

We take polish sausages too.
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:03 pm

For a lunch change? Perhaps this....

Rye bread/ Cream Cheese/ Cucumber/ Dill Sandwhiches
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby BrwBier » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:32 pm

Read this thread about camping omlets. We were not disappointed and I dont think you would be either
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Earlier this year I joined Dream Dinners (where you get together once a month and throw together 6 or 12 meals). This is a franchise (there are others like this around, depending on where you live).

These meals have been great for camping! They come with everything, including (in many cases) their own pan for cooking.

We cook them in our toaster oven.

Before that, it was usually Hamburger Helper for supper.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby tomkat6546 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 pm

Wow, Gail. They just opened a franchise of dream dinners here in Rockville, Maryland that I was thinking of joining (being a suburban working mother of 2 and all). However, I didn't think of the benefits of camping with the dream dinners, which makes it all that much more desirable. The only thing is...we don't have a toaster oven or other oven to heat them in. point to ponder, though!

Kathleen.
tomkat6546
Silver Donating Member

Postby bsandey » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:34 am

One thing we like to make, and is real easy to do is to put a hamburger patty, cut up potatoes and carrots, and a slice of onion in heavy duty aluminum foil (double wrap). Put these around the outer edge of the camp fire (or on top of hot charcoal in the grill) for 10 minutes, and flip for another 10 minutes, then remove.
Bill ("Mutt")

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:38 am

Here's the link for the omlets Brwbier was talking about...

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... ght=omlets

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:06 am

Kathleen,

I was asking a similar question a couple of months ago because we are planning a long road trip in our as yet unfinished tear, and was looking for some variety as well. Here is a link to that thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8369
These are really some great ideas.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:21 am

I've always been interested in the historic (1930s-40s) aspect of car/trailer camping and I find myself going back to our "Tin Can Tourist" roots. They/we got than name from the fact that they ate so much canned food and that's what I've been doing lately. Some of my favorite protien sources are corned beef (the infamous "Bully beef" of the British Army), ham (what's camping in a "canned ham" without canned ham?), tuna, chicken, sardines, smoked oysters, Vienna sausages and the ever-popular Spam. Favorite veggies are asparagus, Del Monte Zuchinni & Tomato Sauce and Del Monte Seasoned Green Beens. The latter two benefit considerably from a healthy dose of dried minced garlic.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:51 am

Kathleen-

From your photos it looks like you have young ones. When our boys got older and joined scouts we did the camping. And it is there that we started. My wife Pat does all the camp meal planning and we have had some very good - if not great meals. She will generally keep the breakfast and lunch like you outlined - but do more fancy stuff for dinner. If you can prepare some of the ingredients before hand (store them in zip lock bags) you can make it as fancy as you want. We have had stews, chicken and dumplings, chili, etc.

Since I am from a Hungarian family I get to make the goulash. But the only way to do that is with the traditional Bogracs. This is the one I have http://members.aol.com/HungImprts/Cookware.htm

But the secret to making true Hungarian goulash - promise not to tell anyone? IS you need real authenic Hungarian paprika - not the stuff you get in your local Giant - but the real stuff. And in my opinion it needs to be paprika from the Szeged area (that would be the east side - along the great plains - where my family comes from) It is the best! And don't forget to "Bloom" the paprika. Nice and taste.

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:25 am

Kathleen

You'll like the Dream Dinners. I split them with my oldest son whose kitchen time is limited working 2 jobs and going to school in the evening. Takes less than 2 hours to throw 12 meals (4-6 servings in each meal) together. They provide everything.

You can cook many on top of a camping stove "in a pinch" if you don't have a toaster oven/stove.

Last time I was there, a very, VERY pregnant woman was there with her husband and sister, putting together 24 meals to be used while she was recovering from having the baby. Made a lot of sense to me.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1