Jamaican- Blue mountain coffee

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Jamaican- Blue mountain coffee

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:24 pm

If you didn't think you liked coffee, you'll probably like this. The Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee that was served at the TearJerker's Buckeye Chapter was out of this world.
It is by far the smoothest and most flavorful coffee I've ever had. Why not; at about $25-$30 per pound , it should be.

I'm going to look on EBAY to see if I can get a better deal. It's might not be "worth" the price, but wow, was it good.
http://www.ronainc.com/jamaicabluemount ... e_mountain :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi Kurt, That's exactly what we use at home. 1/2 single roast and 1/2 double roast. But I'm surprised at the price you quoted. We pay $18.00 per kilo(2.2pound) down here. Finally found something that's cheaper Down Under :lol:
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:49 pm

PaulC wrote:Hi Kurt, That's exactly what we use at home. 1/2 single roast and 1/2 double roast. But I'm surprised at the price you quoted. We pay $18.00 per kilo(2.2pound) down here. Finally found something that's cheaper Down Under :lol:
Cheers

Paul, If I had some shipped from Austrailia, it would probably cost the same ($25 per lb). :thinking:
Is yours called "Jamaican Blue Mountain" or is is a locally grown bean?
I did find some Starbucks "Breakfast Blend" that is very smooth also for a lot less price.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:20 pm

I'm not a coffee drinker (unless I HAVE to) but I've been told that the Jamacian Blue Mountain and the Hawiian Kona coffees are the best, and most expensive.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Talking about expensive coffee, what about the coffee made from the beans that are gathered from the guana of some animal ( not sure where)?? ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:24 am

Kurt, Definitely Jamaican Blue Mountain. We buy it direct from the importer. He roasts, packages and sells over the counter.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:33 am

I absolutely love and adore coffee...have tried many types and blends but have yet to find anything I like better than French Market Coffee and Chickory makes a great cup of coffee, cafe'au lait or expresso.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:41 am

madjack wrote: makes a great cup of coffee, cafe'au lait or expresso.........
madjack 8)

MJ, I grew up in "strong coffee" territory around New York , New Jersey and NYC.
I moved to Philadelphia when I was around 30-33 years old and the coffee was a little weaker. When I moved to Indiana in 1977, I though they had left the grounds out when I first tasted "MidWest" coffee. They like it much more mild out here.
I've become accustom to the milder brew after the past 29 years so the Jamaican and mild blends are fine for me.
The Mild but flavorful blends are what I like now.

Unless its loaded with cream or sweeteners, Expresso is too strong for me.
Breakfast is one of my favorite times (especially when camping). I like to experiment with different blends, so the French Market might be a good one to try, unless you would put it in the "strong" catagory.
Thanks for posting the link.
:thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:05 am

Kurt,
I am a coffee lover myself. And a raised Nawlins boy. If you don't like it strong the French Market with chikory is not for you unless you make it milder than normal. But the French Market French Roast Pure Coffee is a fine blend. New orleans is the nation's top coffee import capitol.
:coffee:
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:24 am

Micro469 wrote:Talking about expensive coffee, what about the coffee made from the beans that are gathered from the guana of some animal ( not sure where)?? ;)

John,

Here's that coffee you mentioned....

Kopi Luwak coffee comes from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, an area well-known for its excellent coffee. Also native to the area is a small civit-like animal called a Paradoxurus. That's the scientific name, the locals call them luwaks. These little mammals live in the trees and one of their favorite foods is the red, ripe coffee cherry. They eat the cherries, bean and all. While the bean is in the little guy's stomach, it undergoes chemical treatments and fermentations. The bean finishes its journey through the digestive system, and exits. The still-intact beans are collected from the forest floor, and are cleaned, then roasted and ground just like any other coffee.

The resulting coffee is said to be like no other. It has a rich, heavy flavour with hints of caramel or chocolate. Other terms used to describe it are earthy, musty and exotic. The body is almost syrupy and it's very smooth.

I wouldn't drink that shi* :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Joseph » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:40 am

Steve_Cox wrote:The resulting coffee is said to be like no other

I guess SO!

"Hey, this coffee tastes like s**t!"

"It is." :?

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:23 am

Sonetpro wrote:Kurt,
I am a coffee lover myself. And a raised Nawlins boy. If you don't like it strong the French Market with chikory is not for you unless you make it milder than normal. But the French Market French Roast Pure Coffee is a fine blend. New orleans is the nation's top coffee import capitol.
:coffee:

Sonetpro, Thanks for the "Heads up". :oops: I like milder blends a lot better, at least when drinking it black. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:32 am

Kurt,, it definitely falls in the strong category but of course you can brew it milder...in my travels around the country, I have never found anyone who just didn't like it...

Steve, while I do use a coffee maker nowadays, I still have my dads old french drip "sock" pot and on occasion make some in it, just to remember him and what "real" coffee is supposed to taste like...tain't nuttin' lak it brah :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:33 am

My brother-in-law bought some of that and served it to his crew at work but didn't tell them what it was till after they had drank it. I forgot to ask how that went. :DOH2:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:22 pm

I'd try it...
Hey while we're on the subject, I'd like to remind all coffee drinkers coming to the IRG, to be sure and bring their favorite blend of coffee, beans or ground... To share at the Coffee Klatch at the Shack each morning. :thumbsup:

Hey Kurt... Check those prices again.
(29.00 for a pond of green beans, 43.95 for a pound of roasted beans)
At those prices I'd be happy to try the varmit fermented bean instead. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1