Miracle Whip vs Hellman's

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby kurtibm » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:42 am

In 1756, mayonnaise was invented in France by Duke de Richelieu's chef.

In 1905, the first ready-made mayonnaise was sold at Richard Hellman's New York deli. In 1912, mayonnaise was mass marketed and called "Hellman's Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise."

Miracle Whip
According to Kraft Foods: Kraft introduced MIRACLE WHIP in 1933 and it became a national success within weeks. With its tagline "Salad Miracles with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing," it was the first ready-to-serve spoonable salad dressing of its kind.
More...
Miracle Whip is a salad dressing and sandwich spread, invented in Salem, Illinois at Max Crosset's Cafe. It was originally called Max Crossett's X-tra Fine Salad Dressing. Crosset sold it to Kraft Foods in 1931 for three hundred dollars. Kraft still manufactures it today. It is advertised as having the taste of mayonnaise with half the fat.

Ironically, Kraft recently replaced all of the sugar in the product with high fructose corn syrup, which the body turns into fat.

According to the Kraft Foods web site, Miracle Whip debuted at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933, during the height of the Great Depression. Not only was it tasty, but it was inexpensive, making it very appealing to consumers.

The Kraft Foods site also explains that "the Miracle Whip" was inventor Charles Chapman's informal name for his patented "emulsifying machine" that was originally used to blend the ingredients in the mayonnaise-like product.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Guest wrote:Joseph,
That diet... Is that the one where you can eat all the meat you want and cut out all breads and potatoes???

That's a common misconception, at first you don't have carbs but, it is slowly reintroduced into the diet. The problem is that people see the most success during the beginning so they think that zero carbs is the key so they are afraid to start eating the carbs again.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sjptak » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:07 pm

I did the Atkins diet back in 1976 with great success. I was part of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children back then and needed to get rid of the love handles. It worked great. Problem is, I Like BEER. I think the world would be a better place with a no carb beer. But then alcohol is also pretty much a no no under Atkins.

I still like my Miracle Whip.
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:44 pm

Miracle and Hunts. I just got tired of Heinz catsup living 20 miles from the birth place of the stuff.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Mayo-Miracle Whip

Postby KA » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Hi,
Our food coop has some great alternatives to mayo. One of my favorites is a Middle Eastern garlic sauce that is made of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. Yummy, but intense....It is also good mixed with mayo. I also like garlic aoili which is also found at many natural food stores in the refrigerator section. Both of these are great if you have corn syrup allergies, additive allergies, or are trying to make your heart happy. These come in different brands and taste great on my veggie bacon, tomato, and lettuce sandwiches on no-flour whole grain bread(I can hear the uproar already). I also like to use the garlic sauce when grilling chicken, fish, tofu (I know, I know), or veggies.
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:20 am

sjptak wrote:Problem is, I Like BEER. I think the world would be a better place with a no carb beer.

Well, most of the "lite" beers are low carb as well as low cal. And to my surprise, the regular brew with the lowest carb content is my favorite - Guiness.
But then alcohol is also pretty much a no no under Atkins.

Not really. Hard liquor has no carbs, though it does slow the metabolism so that you don't burn fat as efficiently.
I still like my Miracle Whip.

You're welcome to it!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby thobbs » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:11 pm

Miracle Whip for sure! I grew up on Macaroni and Miracle Whip, not cold like macaroni salad, but hot. Total Comfort food!! My hubby won't come near it but it is the best. :D
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:32 pm

kurtibm wrote:In 1756, mayonnaise was invented in France by Duke de Richelieu's chef.

Richlelieu foods is still very much in business and mentions the invention of mayonnaise on the history page.
http://www.mayo.com/history.asp
My company still sells a lot of glass bottles and jars to Best Foods and Richelieu Foods. They are slowly changing to plastic containers and by the time I retire, the entire line will be in containers other than glass. A real shame. :cry: :(
Oh well, I still like Mayonnaise best. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 pm

The best ketchup ever made is Aylmer, the second best is Hunts, Heinz is too sweet. The best mayo is Hellmans.

I have spoken.... So shall it be....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby surveytech » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:09 am

If you leave Hellmans mayo on your counter with the lid off, it will taste like Miracle Whip in a week or so. (strong sunlight and warm temps can speed the process).
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 am

surveytech wrote:If you leave Hellmans mayo on your counter with the lid off, it will taste like Miracle Whip in a week or so. (strong sunlight and warm temps can speed the process).

...yeah, but ya gotta scoop the fuzzy green stuff off'n the top to get to the good part :o :D :lol: ;) ........ madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 am

madjack wrote:
...yeah, but ya gotta scoop the fuzzy green stuff off'n the top to get to the good part :o :D :lol: ;) ........ madjack 8)

MJ........you gotta stir all that in if you want the true flavor.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:46 pm

yaaaa, nothing like homemade penicillin... :lol: ;) ..................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dean Williams » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:15 pm

I don't think that's penicillin, Jack. It's the other "p" thing...ptomaine. ;)
Dean (no, not that Dean. The other Dean.)

...Hooked. Hooked bad.
Dean Williams
Teardrop Master

Postby PresTx82 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Hey Stan, for a "silly rant" it's gotten three pages of responses. :o

I grew up with Miracle Whip and we all called it mayonaise. My wife says it's not mayonaise of course, but salad dressing and I insist its mayonaise as that's what I've always known it as.

In my refridgerator right now, I have a large jar of Miracle Whip and a large jar of Hellmans. She has hers :? and I have mine :twisted: .
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1