Wanted (2) removable motorcycle chocks

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Wanted (2) removable motorcycle chocks

Postby mattyd » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:31 am

I bought a used cargo trailer and PO had installed (2) removable motorcycle chocks. However he wouldn’t sell them as he uses them in his new trailer. I have stopped at trailer store and looked on line. Seems to be about 10 years old so they don’t make this version any more. I can always get new ones and remount but before I went that route I figured I would see if any of the brethren had two they wanted to part with. They are the type that have 4 Phillip head screw that you screw it down with. They are spaced 6 3/4” north and south and 5 1/2” east to East to west. Can always email or text a pic to confirm.
Thank you kindly. Mattyd
mattyd
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wanted (2) removable motorcycle chocks

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:38 am

You could check out harbor freight. There are at least three types of chocks.
One is a cheaper kind that you merely run the front wheel into. It is a single bent tube about 1/2" in diameter held down by 4 screws to the floor. This may be the original type.
The next is similar but the wheel is driven over center on a rocking ramp holding the front wheel in place. Much nicer.
The third, which I use, is a heavy piece of steel. The front wheel drives over a rocking ramp to hold the wheel and arms are splayed out to the side with eyes to hold tie-downs. This is the best and would not be needed to be bolted down as the bike can be tied securely to both the chock and the trailer.

Tips: Never carry a bike on it's sidestand put it upright on it's wheels.
Never put the tie-downs on the grips. The handle bars will turn and the bike will fall. Lots of Harleys do this.
Always use more than two tie-downs. A tie can fail and the others will hold it up. I double the front and use two on the back. Overkill? I have a recent story.

Tt
All these have happened to me or friends since the 60's. Hard learned lessons.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby mattyd » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 am

Thanks Tom.

I checked out the HF options a and they are not exactly what I need if I am going to repurpose the existing screw mounts in my floor. I will hold out that maybe I can find some somewhere.
mattyd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:34 am

I know how you feel about getting the exact replacements. It's always nice but in this case it May cost just a bit more. I think I know of the chocks you need. You could do a Google image search to find the exact chocks.

Pingel has removable wheel chocks. Does your trailer floor have threaded inserts to accept bolts?

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to For Sale/Wanted