Teardrop trailer advice

Have a teardrop or a trailer for sale? Need one? Post here...

Postby Juli n Bill » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:21 am

Go with the 5 ft. We tow a 5x10 tear with a 4 cyl. Ford Escape with at least 2 sometimes up to 4 kayaks on top of the Escape. We have towed it all over Western Washington with no problems whatsoever.
Also buy a side tent for the dog. We use this one http://tinyurl.com/qa5k8 You can see it on our tear in our Album, it's nice to be able to get dressed standing up and also have a place for the portapotty. We have a vent fan but really haven't used it that much, we do like having the vent open when sleeping but seldom turn on the fan. But for the few times we have used the fan (we have a northern breeze) it was worth having it there to draw out the hot air.
Two doors is essential or you'll be crawling over each other and there really isn't enough room for that. And windows that open on either side is also a must.
If you are looking on saving money, skimp on the inside cabinets or galley, not the sleeping area. You can always add to the galley or put in more cabinets but you can't make a 4x8 tear any bigger than 4x8. :) Get some cardboard and build a mock up tear in the back yard or garage to see how big it would be, then you can make a better informed decision. Even if you're having someone else build it, by mocking up the size you can see the difference in sizes for yourself.
Good luck!
Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

What it should have

Postby ssrjim » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:48 am

You could get this one out of my garage. :D

http://homepage.mac.com/ramjim/Tearforsalebehindmini

Following the formula suggest on this forum the price should be $7,120.68 but if you want to visit Arizona for you 6000.00.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:03 pm

Welcome to this wonderful board... You'll find all kinds of help whether building or buying ( you can probably tell already-- then just wait til you go to a gathering!)

The best advice I can give is to visit a teardrop gathering -- see more than one up close and so far everybody I've known have been nice to let me sleep inside theirs to just see how close the quarters are.

Check your towing cap and tongue cap for your vehicle. I'm still building but will tow with my 01 honda accord 4 cyl.

Necessities -- 5' wide if you're a couple; two doors; some kind of roof vent or fan and windows that open (NEVER sleep in a completely sealed trailer!) ; and great teardrop friends from this website!!!!!

Good luck...

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to For Sale/Wanted