spring plans

Camping in Ontario & Quebec and the Central Canadian Chapter of TearJerkers

spring plans

Postby whitby guy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi all.
It's been very quiet on the ontario board. Anybody making plans for the spring? Cabin fever is setting in here and I'm looking forward to the warmer weather already (and february isn't even here yet).
So, anybody have ideas or suggestions? Bon Echo in the spring (or is the water too cold)? Tobermory?
I would like to get in a weekend or two before the ADK.
Sandy
nothing is foolproof..to a sufficiently talented fool
If everything is under control, you're not driving fast enough
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 pm

You can always join us South of the border. The calenders for a number of the TearJerkers (including Buckeye chapter) are already up. :)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby johnc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 am

I am game for a rendezvous in the spring. Bon Echo is beautiful - Algonquin has the electrical serviced sites that are open year round so you don't have to wait for the May 24 weekend. Those sights are quite nice in the winter with heated amenities centres with showers and about a 30 yard walk from the sites. There is plenty of hiking/showshoeing depending on the snow volume. I am still just getting my build started but am hoping to be up and running by early to mid March.

John
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 am

I've heard a lot about Bon Echo and would really like to go. Right now I have a MINOR (read Major) problem with my roof That I can't sort out until warm weather. Have to wait until I get it fixed before i make plans for camping...... :x :cry:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

spring outing

Postby whitby guy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 pm

John (Micro 469):
Sorry to hear about the problems with the roof...hope it's not too much trouble to repair. Maybe mother nature will smile upon us and give us an early and mild spring and you can get the work done before the camping season starts. :worship:

Johnc and anyone interested:
I'm leaning towards Bon Echo for the may 24 weekend, going in on friday and out on sunday. Have to find some historic weather reports to see if there is still ice on the lake that early in the year. I would like to see the pictographs, and I understand that it is best to canoe/kayak up to see them.

Anyone have advice/area knowledge about Bon Echo (best camping area, things to avoid, etc.)...all input gratefully taken.
Sandy
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby jawbone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm game (so they shot me) - I'd also like to do Crystal Lake on the Bruce Pens. before it gets too hot - I'm anxious to hike that last 20 km of the Bruce while my legs will still carry me.
Blues, The Whole Blues and Nuthin' But the Blues
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Bon Echo May 24

Postby johnc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea to set up a trip. I have spent quite a bit of time there and the pictographs will be a lovely sight. The ice will be off of the rivers likely but you may encounter the odd crusting in lowlying marsh areas. I have spent quite a bit of time there both canoeing and rock climbing. I will do a bit of research on electrical sites now that I'm not tenting assuming I finish the trailer. Will let you all know what I find out.

J
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

Bon Echo May 24

Postby johnc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I just booked Sawmill Bay Campground Site 125 - close to comfort station and water as well as plenty of power sites around.

Hopefully see some others there - by the way the new Ontario Parks online booking is just brilliant.

John
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

spring plans

Postby whitby guy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 am

Just booked also...site 143 (booked the site then checked the board :( ...I guess I'll be just across the drive from you John)
I booked an electrical site fearing there might be cool weather and heaters may be required. Still planning on building a kayak for the trip, as I would like to do the paddle around the rock.
Sandy
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby legojenn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I put this post up on Tearjerkers last week:

Jenn D wrote:Hi:

I think that I would like to head to Sandbanks of Presqu'ile with some friends for the Victoria Day weekend. I love Prince Edward County. Anyhow, I have not been to Sandbanks in 15 years. We want room for the car, TD and a tent for a friend (or friends). We want to be walking distance to the beach and as far away from partiers (easy with the alcohol ban), and stressful noise like arguing and yelling. I know it’s a tall order, but any help in picking campground/ranges of sites would be appreciated.

This will be my first Victoria Day weekend in Canada for a long time. We usually go to New York because the parks aren't nearly as busy.

Since I got the trailer last year, I have been excited about camping again and have been buying things here and there. I think the people at MEC and LeBaron know me well now. Also, I have also booked sites for 4 weekends in May and July (2 of them NY tearjerkers meetups).

I saw that post above about Algonquin being open all year. I may just make an Easter trip up there. I was pondering going to Wellesley Island New York beacuse it will be a little warmer, but Algonquin might be serene.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby jawbone » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

So who all went where and how was it???
jawbone
Teardrop Master

spring plans

Postby whitby guy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Jawbone: Was all by myself (alone with 2000 other campers in the park). No other teardroppers showed up.
I walked all the trails in the park, did the cliff top tour. Weather was perfect, first time in memory that there was no rain on the May 2-4 at Bon Echo. Lots of mosquitoes, but that's to be expected. I think I would like to go back in the fall (and take a canoe/kayak) to see the petroglyphs.
Getting packed up for Fish Creek this weekend...you guys aren't going?
whitby guy
Teardrop Master

Postby jawbone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey Sandy - yeah, the weather was a real bonus this year!!! Nice trails? We are probably going down to the Bean Blossom blues fest in Aug in Indiana, so that will be our State side trip this year. Have a great time - let me know how it goes. - jawbone
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Glad you had fun Sandy. Would have liked to be there. I used that weekend to fiberglass my roof... turned out easier than I expected.. just took a fair bit of time.
Work right now is a bitch, we are busier than heck. The Boss asked if I really needed to take all that time off (three days). Hell yeah!! Fish Creek Ponds Here I come!!!
This summer is going to be tight to get time off, even tho I'm entitled to 4 weeks vacation.
I guess I'm lousy at being the Tearjerker's director, but Hey... things can only get better....Maybe in the fall.
Jawbone... So how many times have you gone camping this year?? :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jawbone » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am

Zero - nada - nuttin - but I got a couple of exterior speakers mounted!!!
Well, that's important too!!! :applause:
jawbone
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Ontario & Quebec, Canada