Air conditioning install?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Air conditioning install?

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:47 pm

The only thing I can think of is that the put some baffling in it to make sure there were no
Low velocity areas. When yours iced up, was it everywhere, it did it seem to start someplace in particular? They could also have made the evapotat or smaller to increase the air velocity across it. I suspect window units make them larger to keep the noise down which would make the air flow slower. The pet cool is also a heat pump design, so they could have a defrost cycle designed in if it starts freezing up.
Tom
Found this picture
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429059228.753849.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429059228.753849.jpg (85.93 KiB) Viewed 784 times

And it turns out that it's not a heat pump, it's a strip heater.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Air conditioning install?

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:31 am

So after thinking about it last night, the biggest difference I can see between the picture above and Shadowcatchers set up is that SC's return is perpendicular to the evaporator coils. In the pic above I believe the return is parallel to the evap coils. I'm going to hypothesize that if the air enters perpendicular, then the velocity of the air would be strongest in the center of the coils, and slower around the sides, there might even dead spots in the corners. With the air flow being parallel then the air could be more evenly distributed. ( but of course I'm making up a story with the idea it might fit the evidence). I searched on line and I couldn't find anything that I thought helped understand what was going on.
One supporting theory I have is that when the air goes through the return duct, it would be at a slightly higher pressure, and as it gets closer to the evaporator those conditions would increase the likely hood that moisture could come out of the air. With the return aimed directly at the evap coil, then the moisture that comes out of the air would be directed directly at the cold coil. If its aimed parallel then any moisture that comes out of the air would be pushed towards the end of the plenum area by momentum,potentially reducing the moisture that went on the evap.
Again, this is all conjecture. If I had some high temps and humidity I'd build a couple of cardboard plenums and test the theory, but here in Socal, heat and humidity aren't due until late august and even then it won't be what some of you others will start seeing next month.
Tom

I did find this article, that implies that parallel airflow is better for reducing icing.

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcont ... text=iracc
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Sun May 24, 2015 3:21 pm

I've figured out what I'm going to do with the build now, so I thought I would add to this thread. I've been working on different ideas, but this one seemed to be the best for my needs. Basically, the AC unit will slide out to run and slide in for driving, as I wanted. What I'm doing is building out the shelf, so it's deeper from front to back, but will still allow the tongue box lid to open and close. Here's the shelf after adding some more wood to flush it to the outside of the skin.

I'm planning on "floating" the bottom of the shelf with thickened epoxy so it's 1/8" higher near the face frame of the headboard (at the inside, or toward the rear) and tapers down to zero at the front edge. This will prevent any water from running "uphill" if there's a rain or if the condensation is dripping while the AC is running and falls on this panel. The box itself will be laminated both inside & out with off-cuts from the trailer's .040" skin. This should make a nice clean waterproof box that won't leak or soak water. I'll post more to this thread once I'm further along on the build. There are still a few details left to work out & build, but I'm thinking this will work well enough & be simple to do and function properly.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fossilboy50 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

So, I know this is late to the discussion, but I think this is could be a very interesting product to the tnttt community. I'm starting my build again, from scratch, again, so I'm not too concerned about the Spring 2018 delivery date. But this could be ideally suited for teardrop due to the small size, portability, light weight, and lower power draw than traditional units. Just thought I'd share one of the latest products to potentially improve upon the "step up from a tent" experience.

http://www.noriahome.com
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... rmat=2500w
fossilboy50
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm

fossilboy50 wrote:So, I know this is late to the discussion, but I think this is could be a very interesting product to the tnttt community. I'm starting my build again, from scratch, again, so I'm not too concerned about the Spring 2018 delivery date. But this could be ideally suited for teardrop due to the small size, portability, light weight, and lower power draw than traditional units. Just thought I'd share one of the latest products to potentially improve upon the "step up from a tent" experience.

http://www.noriahome.com
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... rmat=2500w

What they show looks great, but what does the outside look like? How can they possibly make it that small? Is there a real working prototype? Or just a plastic housing. I'm very skeptical.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby fossilboy50 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:51 pm

I've only seen what they show in various videos they've produced in house. I believe their timeline has pushed from Spring 17 to Spring 18. As my build is going backwards rather than forwards, I'm not in a position where I "have to" settle on an A/C unit yet.

But I am cautiously optimistic, because it does appear to be very well suited vs a traditional household window A/C or Pet Cool or a home hack which are our next best options. And I'm not even speaking of the swamp cooler variants, which neither work in nor are desired for already humid areas like South Central TX.
fossilboy50
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion