Recomended BLM's & WMA's in Mississippi & Alabama

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Recomended BLM's & WMA's in Mississippi & Alabama

Postby cajundood » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Well I'm back from my TRF trip. Didn't finish my standee to be able to pull it there though. I'm now shooting for a 3-5 days test trip from Louisiana to MS & AL.
I looked on freecampsites.net and there seems to be quite a lot of BLM's as well as WMA's throughout miss. and ala., which is the direction i'd like to go.

BLM (Bureau of Land Management)
WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas)

I've camped in Clear Springs in Mississippi when i had my 30' bumper pull and its pretty nice. It's run by the MS forestry service & runs $15 per night on the honor service. You have to bring along everything you'd need as the nearest store/gas/ cell service is almost 20 miles away....but otherwise quiet. :thumbsup:
Can anyone that has stayed in these states single a few out that are quite nice. I'm looking for quiet and secluded with some rather decent scenery if possible.
While in texas, I visited a few in the Davy Crockett National Forest as well as the Angelina National Forest that were pretty good but filled with hunters. I'd prefer not to be hearing rifle shots while camping.. :frightened:
Last edited by cajundood on Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Re: Recomended BLM's & WMA's in Mississippi & Alabama

Postby jandmz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 pm

At the opposite corner of MS, near Tishomingo at Bay Springs Lake is Piney Grove. It is an Army Corps of Engineers campground, nicely kept, most sites with electric and water, and a few right on the lake. We stayed there last spring, and with the National Park Passport, it was $11 a night. I don't know how it would be during hunting season, but it was quiet when we were there.

There are also a couple free campgrounds along the Natchez Trace Parkway.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby cajundood » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am

jandmz wrote:At the opposite corner of MS, near Tishomingo at Bay Springs Lake is Piney Grove. It is an Army Corps of Engineers campground, nicely kept, most sites with electric and water, and a few right on the lake. We stayed there last spring, and with the National Park Passport, it was $11 a night. I don't know how it would be during hunting season, but it was quiet when we were there.

There are also a couple free campgrounds along the Natchez Trace Parkway.

I've seen one of the Natchez parkway ones. Rocky Creek, I believe was the name. It's right on the road (not set away from it) and it was filled at the time with what looked like homeless people. Needless to say I didn't even stop. :frightened:
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:08 pm

and there seems to be quite a lot of BLM's as well as WMA's throughout miss

Rocky Mountain, boy here. I gotta ask: What's a BLM and WMA back there outta curiosity? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:52 am

Well I have assumed BLM refers to the land controlled by U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT. I jus happened to have hiked at Red Rock canyon near Las Vegas - a BLM property.

I "think" WMAs are Will Life Management Areas - state controlled public lands - much like BLM or USFS land. I have not found a "national" directory of WMAs but I expect someone here has.

PS: You might be looking for USFS lands also. Quite a few in MS. https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

And a map of BLM property - just a handful much east of Rockies - https://www.blm.gov/visit
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:22 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Well I have assumed BLM refers to the land controlled by U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT. I jus happened to have hiked at Red Rock canyon near Las Vegas - a BLM property.

I "think" WMAs are Will Life Management Areas - state controlled public lands - much like BLM or USFS land. I have not found a "national" directory of WMAs but I expect someone here has.

PS: You might be looking for USFS lands also. Quite a few in MS. https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

And a map of BLM property - just a handful much east of Rockies - https://www.blm.gov/visit

a lot of BLM's as well as WMA's throughout miss. and ala.

I don't think there is any BLM ground in Mississipi or Alabama. That's why I'm asking. I think his use of BLM and WMAs must be local-yocal southern camping talk!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 pm

I assume BLMs and WMAs is generic for public land for recreational use. So much actual BLM land in west and so little in east.

The number of federal and state agencies that own and control public lands is overwhelming, and the varying regulations somewhat staggering.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby cajundood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:32 pm

This explains what a BLM & WMA is:
This is a platform for sharing campgrounds and camp sites you have discovered. We are community driven, and while we will be adding many free camping spots, we hope that you will add some of your favorite camping places as well. By sharing camping information freely, we can all spend less time researching campgrounds, spend less money, and more time camping. If everyone contributes a few campsites, we'll all have more places to go camping.
Please come back and let us know what you find! User reviews help other campers decide on their next camping destination. The more information you have, the more informed your decisions.

Whether you enjoy tent camping, car camping or RV camping, our goal is to help you find the best places to go camping. We believe that free camping areas are often the most beautiful and peaceful camp sites. Our focus is on public lands. You own these lands and you are entitled to use them. We especially like camping on Forest Service land, BLM (Bureau of Land Management) areas, WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) and county or city parks. We hope you enjoy the same style of camping.

taken from the freecampsites.net site:https://freecampsites.net/
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Interesting site but needs dome setious development to mske it useful.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:06 am

cajundood wrote:
jandmz wrote:There are also a couple free campgrounds along the Natchez Trace Parkway.

I've seen one of the Natchez parkway ones. Rocky Creek, I believe was the name. It's right on the road (not set away from it) and it was filled at the time with what looked like homeless people. Needless to say I didn't even stop. :frightened:

We were traveling the Trace in March a couple years ago and stayed at Jeff Busby campground. It was free, and OK for a one night stay. It had no hookups, but it did have a nice restroom (no showers). It was far enough off the road that there was no road noise. Since it was the off-season, it was just us, the camp host and one truck camper. It was almost spooky quiet, but I would stay there again.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion