Heating a garage

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Heating a garage

Postby pete49 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:14 am

I just put on a light jumper (sweater) but you would need to move countries I guess. :D
Pete
pete49
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kim Armstrong » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 am

:thinking: :)
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby swoody126 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:08 am

whatever you end up using don't forget FIRE SAFETY when playing w/ dust and vapors :shock:

have a good extinguisher handy :thumbsup:

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm

:thumbsup:
Kim Armstrong

Postby BaldJoey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 pm

A $100 patio heater works great!Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BaldJoey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BaldJoey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:15 pm

My primary heat is infloor but the patio heater is great in early/ late winter!Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BaldJoey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:23 pm

swoody126 wrote:whatever you end up using don't forget FIRE SAFETY when playing w/ dust and vapors :shock:

have a good extinguisher handy :thumbsup:

sw

This is the very reason I heat the shop (924 sqft) with a pellet stove.
It rarely produces any outside smoke since I start it with a handful of planer shavings and some pellets.
The top of it doesn't get hot where dust can settle.
I use a ton of pellets ( fifty 40# bags) per year which costs me $200 plus tax at Costco.
A 40# bag of pellets will last for days.
It takes up little space and has outlasted the 220 volt electric heater I put in after I built the shop.
The wood dust choked the electric heater to death and smelling scorched wood dust wasn't my thing.
Wood heat is the best. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Wished I had the room for one.
Kim Armstrong

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:15 pm

If your garage is fully insulated this Green Hinges System might work to keep down the draft.
We put them on the house garage door and it keeps the door nice and tight and the wind doesn't push through now.
The walls are insulated and sheet rocked, but the rafter/attic area is bare as built, so no change in temperature that we are aware of.
I'm planning on putting them on the shop garage door since the shop is fully insulated with R-19 in the walls and R-35 in the ceiling & 5/8" thick sheetrock.
I'm confident they will make a difference.
Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTLs4KOGZ0
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:01 am

I just put in a small pellet stove in our basement in West Virginia. We are using it for an additional- primary heat source as the temps drop and the heat pump efficiency drops. The basement is 1,000 ft2, non-finished, non-insulated, fully below grade. House is 1,344 ft2, with 2" thick oak floors and super insulated in all areas.

During my initial test runs, with outside temps dropping down to a low of 16 two days ago and avg daily temps in the 30s, the stove has maintained the house at an even 68-70 degrees, all rooms, running at about 40%. It takes a bit under a 40# bag per day to keep this going. Heat from the main part of the stove is ducted into the return side of the air handler. Side stove heat goes into a brick thermal mass and some aluminum heater fins I took out of some old baseboard electric heaters. These get up to the 200 F+ range and that heats the basement, which heats the underside of the flooring on the main level.

Full costs - refurbished stove with 5 year factory warranty =$600 ($675 if they delivered)
6" Stainless steel chimney liner = $300
4" Aluminum flex for combustion air = $75
40 brick pavers for thermal mass = $20
6" aluminum ducting for heat duct to return = $40
Various fittings for exhaust air, combustion air, room air = $100

Uninterruptible power supply, battery backup, already had. Aluminum heat sinks, already had. So, out of pocket costs about $1,200 so far.

1 ton of bagged, hardwood pellets (on sale from local mfg) $170. That is about 2 months supply. Entire unit is sealed as to combustion. This thing would have no problem keeping a decent sized garage warm.
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

Right now it is 30 outside and 48 in the garage. If I could get it to 58 in there that would be comfortable to me. :thumbsup:
Kim Armstrong

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm

I have this one on my house attached garage wall. Simple and only a few hundred dollars. It is also vent less to no cutting holes in the walls or roof. It will certainly heat up a 2 car garage. But once you open the garage door and let the heat out it will take more time to recover the heat.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby vladislaoapp » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:03 pm

It's rarely too cold in our climate, but sometimes I still use an electric heater to keep the temperature fine there when I need to repair something
vladislaoapp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Onajourney » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm

I have used a kerosene heater for 25 years. A bit of a PIA getting fuel and changing the wick every other year but it works. I think they still sell the same one I have at the big orange and blue.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby fredo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:34 pm

I have a 5000 watt furnace similar to what Tony is going to use for my 300 sq. ft insulated garage but half is high vaulted ceilings 11' and part has (5) 36" full glass doors along one outer wall that open to our little sitting "zen" garden. the heater will keep it warm but a few years ago it was crazy expensive to run in Jan/Feb. I cant even imagine todays prices. Last year I bought some silver/black tarps and curtained off the low ceiling part that has all the glass doors and I bought a 20k btu gas ventless garage furnace. I should have bought the 30k but it does ok after 30 minutes it will warm it to high 50's low 60's but the problem is all the moisture it puts into the air. I have to have a fan moving the air around or the walls drip.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion