If you build teardrops look here...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: If you build teardrops look here...

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 am

Lots of people have successfully built a TD trailer with no previous experience. (It helps if you have a friend or relative with tools and some wood working experience.) If you screw up, remember it's often easier to make a new part than trying to make the bad one work.

Do at least some planning for your interior cabinetry so you'll have something solid to attach it to on your skeletonized walls.

Surface mount electrical wiring conduit can be used for electrical. Not too expensive, not bad looking, you don't have to have everything worked out before you start and you can add to it later.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goteardropgo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Thank you thank you thank you.

1. Electricity can kill you. check
I've seen some wiring diagrams on the forum and I think I can do that first and check in with the folks here to make sure I don't miss anything.

I figure I can get the frame cleaned up and painted. She's wired so the next step is get the platform on her.

Using a combination of sanding and fitting I'll use the 1x3 on the frame and get her level/flat. Attach the plywood to the 1x3's and then attach all that to the frame. I plan to treat the 1x3 and plywood with "the mix" for water protection. I don't think I'll even paint the bottom because the mix seems to be enough.

If I recall the mix is 75% painter thinner and 25% polyurethane. Please confirm if you know.

Then look for nice wood to use for interior surfaces (for skinning/veneer). I was thinking Ash but Birch looks good too. I just didn't want pine as an interior surface. Any suggestions in wood is welcomed.

Once I have the "platform" I'll finalize my wiring plans, join amazon anonymous, order doors, windows, most fixtures, outlets, electrical parts, vents/covers, Fantastic fan, wire, fastners, basically all the stuff for the trailer except the wood and foam products. Then I'll know exactly the sizes of all the "stuff" and can start building walls and ceiling. If I get the "stuff" first I can kinda build the body of the trailer around these components. I'm hoping to avoid making a trailer with un-standard sized components.

Any advice as you read this, please keep it coming. This is my support and motivation group. Comments help boost my confidence. Thanks
goteardropgo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 pm

goteardropgo wrote: If I get the "stuff" first I can kinda build the body of the trailer around these components.

This theory takes a lot of room :NC
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goteardropgo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Can you elaborate? I really would like to get your thoughts? Thanks
goteardropgo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 pm

goteardropgo wrote:Can you elaborate? I really would like to get your thoughts? Thanks

(Warning, I am on my first build)
This is a commitment and you have taken the first step!
This trailer and the first sheet of plywood / Foam and saw horses fills your average garage,
This project will take ______ Months
I will be buying A full size pickup load of stuff and I need someplace to move it for a little while______Months
:beer:
Me; little over 1 year now! Believe me many others have done it this way.

What style are you building?
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goteardropgo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:09 pm

You are so right about the commitment. Even though I had a frame it took hours to set it up for my needs. I'm up to about 40 hrs of work and I have not attached the platform to the frame yet (about to).

I'm building a teardrop with the style like a littleguy or overland trailer.

I'd like to have enough interior height to allow me (6' 1" tall) to sit up inside while making sure it stays short enough to fit in a standard garage door opening. I was hoping to have it wide enough for a double bed. However, my axle is too narrow to allow that bed size to fit between the wheels (a nice look in my opinion). So I refashioned the fenders to support the weight of the frame and I'll put the bed on top of the fenders. I still have some fender sticking out so I can step on them and if I ever get a wider wheel they won't stick out.

Putting the bed platform on top of the fenders gives me some additional storage space under the bed and makes it a complete double bed. But is eats away at my interior headroom. I've done the measurements and I should be ok to get 40+ inches of internal head room while keeping the overall trailer height under 7 feet.

I'm doing everything slowly and constantly checking back with this site as a go to validate each step in the process I follow so I can achieve my desired results.

When doing your build, how close to the edge of the outside portion of the frame did you go with your platform?
goteardropgo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm

goteardropgo wrote:When doing your build, how close to the edge of the outside portion of the frame did you go with your platform?

Mine Overhangs 3/8" N/A
But you should know who built the three Orange ones by name before you glue anything :beer:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goteardropgo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Excellent replies. Thanks all.

I originally was going to put 1x3 strips then 2 sheets of plywood for my platform.

But now after thinking and reading the replies I think I'll put the plywood directly on the frame followed by the 1x3 support strips. Then in the spaces where there is not support strips I'll put 1 inch foam and cover it all with a thin sheet of birch for a nice interior surface. Basically sandwich foam and support between sheets of plywood.

The bulk of this won't be seen anyway due to the bed. What will be seen will look nice, be strong enough to support any weight and be insulated for sound/temp purposes.

Thanks all. This has been really helpful.
goteardropgo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:57 pm

That dropped floor is valuable space, think about things to use it for :thinking:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goteardropgo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18 pm

You're absolutely correct. Space under the trailer should not be wasted if it can be used. I plan to install a couple of storage spaces under the trailer. I'll be cutting some holes in my platform and installing some "boxes" between the frame to make a couple of nice deep storage spaces under the bed. It'll be here where I'll place the electrical.

FYI all, I just finished the plateform build and after installing the storage space and doing some weather prep of the under surface, I'll be bolting the platform to the frame and bolting some stabilizer jacks to the corners.

Up to this point I've built out and cleaned up the frame, wired the trailer frame for lights and built out the base of the teardrop. I'm surprised how much time everything has been taking but I'm enjoying the journey.
goteardropgo
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion