Vintage Vespa Teardrop Trailer Build / New Member

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Vintage Vespa Teardrop Trailer Build / New Member

Postby tburick » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:27 pm

Greetings!

My name is Tom and I have an odd hobby of designing and building scooter cargo trailers. I've built several for my scooters and have been all over Arizona camping with them. The cargo trailers are small...just big enough to pack a tent and some food. A few years ago I built a small cargo trailer for my 50cc Honda Ruckus scooter and rode almost 8,000 miles across the US and Mexico. Solo. It was the adventure of a lifetime.

For more than a decade I've wanted to build an actual scooter teardrop trailer that I can sleep in and cook with. A couple weeks ago I pulled the trigger and started the design process. The teardrop will be modeled after the 1947 Cabin Car. I found a bunch of pics online and was able to create cut files from the photographs. Afterwards I built a 12" model out of luan as a proof of concept. Pics are below. The rough size of the teardrop will be 7'L x 3.4'W x 2.5'(ish)H.
I will be pulling the trailer with my 1962 Vespa VBB, 150cc 2-stroke with a 4-speed manual transmission. Pics below.

The trailer has to be featherweight (literally)...so hoping to do the frame out of aluminum or small diameter steel square stock and the body out of 1" thick foam and poor man's fiberglass. Pretty excited to find this group as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.

Side note: I lost my workshop when The Tech Shop went out of business. I found a fantastic woodworking connection but at a loss for a place to make a simple metal frame. Any TNTTT members in Mesa or Phoenix that has welding equipment or access to a metal fab facility? The frame is the hold up for me. Once I secure that resource I can really get moving.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

tburick
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Vintage Vespa Teardrop Trailer Build / New Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:11 am

Very cool! Looking forward to watching the build.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby printer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:35 am

Cool designs. I was wondering if someone could travel with a scooter. I have my answer now. Shame someone decided to steal a vintage scooter we had on our property many years ago. Do you stick to specific trails or highways?
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Neat! Will the teardrop have a single wheel like your cargo trailers?

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Could a scooter pull an Idaho Bedroll?
:thinking:
the one picture you have reminds me of the Idaho Bedroll.
http://www.idahobedroll.com/photos.html
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Tom,

Great idea. 8)
Looking forwards to see you design getting built. :thumbsup: :D
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby tburick » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the positive replies!

This is my first trailer build that is *not* a single wheel design. I've never piloted a 2 wheel trailer on a scooter before so it should be interesting...lol...

The Idaho Bed Roll is a brilliant product! I spoke to the owner of that company a few years back. I really hope he can get these into production. I do not think a scooter could tow one though. My scoots are 50cc, 125cc, and 150cc. My heaviest cargo trailer is about 125lbs fully loaded and the 50cc really struggles. The other two do ok...but ~125lbs is the max I'd ever attempt. It takes an eternity to get up to 50mph and even a slight hill kills off acceleration pretty quickly. I'm assuming by the Idaho's sturdy construction that it exceeds 125lbs.

The target goal for the Vespa camping trailer is 100lbs. It's going to be a foamie covered in PMF...and hopefully an aluminum frame if I can find someone who can do the TIG welding cheap. Otherwise I'll probably make the frame out of 1/2" steel square stock and find a place where I can weld it myself.
tburick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogcatcher » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Do some research. Google, for info about Pico Lite Trailers. Another source of info is bicycle camp trailers.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:07 pm

something to think about .1/2pvc pipe heated and bent into the shape you want then filled with can foam to stop any collapsing. then cover with cloth and doped with hot linseed oil like old time airplanes. As you wont need to worry about load levee out the foam e
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0WGrq0zw0Ucr43;0572ec4d-6359-4fe7-a3af-ad12de987bb6
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Here is another idea to look at. https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/l ... ect.26096/
A sidecar for a bicycle that was made using PVC pipe for a frame, newspaper covered, some chicken wire for support and fiberglass clooth. With a plywood floor, a little extra support etc..

Another idea, when I was a kid 70 years ago we had a canvas boat. Basic boat frame covered with cotton canvas, that was soaked in linseed oil and then painted with oil based paint. The frame of the boat was 1/2x1/2 strips of pine over a frame work and the canvas stretched over the frame. People still use his method today. Read about canvas covered boat construction today.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kerryb » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:37 am

I like your designs, very classy. Your goal seems reachable if you can keep it light enough. I would suggest strongly considering the "pico lite" construction and design process. Having pulled several trailers with motorcycles I have found aerodynamics to be super critical, and 150cc is a limiting factor. So my suggestion is to consider an expanding teardrop shape to keep the frontal area to a minimum while towing.
On the subject of poor man's fiberglass, I was shocked at the cost of a gallon of titebond III glue because I'm getting a gallon of high quality epoxy for just a little more. My experience with foam/fiberglass composites has made me a proponent of the "pico lite" building process. A much simpler alloy frame could reduce weight for you a great deal, if only they made torsion stub axles in aluminum.
kerryb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dan Gary » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:46 pm

That’s an ambitious and worthy project for a scooter lover. I have 2, a Kymco 250 and Honda Silverwing 600cc. Obviously these larger scooters are more capable at pulling greater loads. I’ve seen a few builds pulled by bicycles and one a sleeper. Obviously they’re pulled at lower speeds and probably can be lighter builds. However you might check out those to pick up some ideas. Wow, 8000 miles on a 50cc Ruckus. Quite a testament to the Ruckus and your iron butt. I pulled HF tagalong trailer behind my Goldwing and pulled like a dream.
Dan Gary
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Consider using paint to adhere the canvas. Its worked for me.
The cost can be less if you can use oops paint.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tburick » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:59 pm

Just a quick update! I have the aluminum frame built, The sidewalls cut, and the poorman's fiberglass underway. I'll post better pics once I'm a little further along. My friend Lucy is going to post a full build video on her youtube channel once were finished. I will post a link when its live.

tburick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daleroller » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:12 am

Wow, that looks amazing! I just bought my 2009 Vespa GTS 300 Super about 2 months ago and my 1989 American Outbacker Teardrop Trailer last week.
Soon after I bought the Vespa I added the front, center and rear touring racks and top box. I also added a glovebox bag and handlebar bag. Image
I am looking forward to doing some scooter camping next year when the weather dries up.
For shelter I bought a Dutch military 2 man canvas tent. It is fairly heavy duty and quite roomy for a small tent. Image
My tent unfortunately did not come with a tent bag. I bought a large tactical style backpack that the tent folds neatly into. There is also room for a small pillow, Army wool blanket and fleece blanket, inflatable sleeping pad plus a few other odds and ends.
Can't wait to hit the open road with it. :beer:
1989 American Outbacker teardrop trailer
Touring Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
daleroller
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to General Discussion