Anti-12 volters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Anti-12 volters

Postby GTS225 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

MickinOz wrote:240V electricity (actually 230V now) has the advantage of needing only half the amps to supply the same power as 110V, but it sure has the ability to boot you into the middle of next year, so that migt have a bearing on things.

Mick; Here's a little food for thought, concerning the differences between 110 and 230 VAC. Should a person get electrocuted from 230 VAC, the voltage level causes muscle contractions violent enough to "boot" you clear of the danger zone, or at least break the connection. Conversely, 110 VAC does not do that. It seems to grab on, and hang on to the victim, until there's no further sign of life.
So, seemingly, the higher voltage level can save a life during an electrocution

Just a bit of info from.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby MickinOz » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm

I think that the difference ain't enough to compensate for the higher voltage's ability to jump a bigger gap, and break through more insulation.
240V from active to the earth (literally the ground, not a ground wire) is very dangerous.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby 2bits » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:15 pm

It's a waste of time for me because while I had all these dreams and plans and schematics and ideas, in the end I never got around to that part and I realized that I just camped at state parks anyway and hung the end of a power strip through the floor. Did that on a bunch of campers. It all depends on your desire and ability to boondock. Here in North Texas it is almost non existent.

Actually, for those who can boondock I question the need also. I mean in the end what does 12v run, your lights? I used Harbor Freight battery powered puck lights even when I had power hook ups! It just seems like an enormous amount of wiring for very little return. The only thing I could see it for would be a fantastic fan. So yeah, waste of time either way in my mind. I think alot of people like it for the same reason the build a teardrop and then never go camping, they like to design and build things. :surrender:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:48 pm

You know, we aren't so far apart.
With my own trailer, I had to have the TV/DVD right or wrong.
Perhaps it is because we only have space for one TV at home and it is never my turn to pick what we watch. :(
And I do use the TV or DVD, every time I use the trailer. I find it is the best way to get to sleep quickly. :lol:
But, I think I am in the minority.
I'd say very few people go camping and watch the gogglebox.
On my current build, I'm tossing the coin.
Wire the trailer, or just fit a couple of these things?
They have three different ways to mount 'em, screws, magnets, velcro.
They are 5 bucks each and I could address the lighting for $15 and maybe $10 bucks on batteries, in about 15 minutes.
Flip light.JPG
Flip light.JPG (31.81 KiB) Viewed 341 times

On the other hand, a 12V system here in my homestate:
Figure 8 wire , say 12g so we can run at least a little bit of current, 10 metres should do. It $55 off the roll here in town.
Fuse block 20 bucks.
Lights, hard to find good gear. Would need at least $100 to get a cabin light, a galley light and a porch light with LED's and switches built in.
Battery need to allow $200.
Box for battery, $60 with power outlets and voltage meter.
So, at least $400 without a charging system.
$25 worth of lights and batteries looking damned good.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 pm

I use those same lights but I get the ones with the dimmer switch as I am again in the minority for sure because I HATE LEDs. There is nothing like the warmth of incandescent but a diffuser and dimmer switches help. I get the harbor freight cheap batteries whenever they are on sale and they last a good number of trips. I had a TV/DVD combo in my first teardrop, I used it a couple times when it was storming, these days I use my iPad with a large screen.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:19 pm

When I first built mine it had a TV and an electric coffee maker and AC as well as the 12V convertor. Now the TV has been replaced by an ipad, the coffee is made with a french press and the AC sits outside, so if its needed I can run an extension cord easy enough, and I have a built in solar, the convertor only gets used at home, so it could be a battery charger. All the time and money I put into the 120V would have been better spent doing 12V right the first time.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:53 pm

I prefer unimproved or tent sites. 12v only for me. 50w of solar to keep things topped off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 pm

2bits wrote:I use those same lights but I get the ones with the dimmer switch as I am again in the minority for sure because I HATE LEDs.

We definitely are singing from the same hymn book 'ol mate.
I don't like them much either.
I swapped all my incandescent bulbs out simply to divide the power consumption by about 8.
Only reason, otherwise I'd be still running good old fashioned filaments.
friz wrote:I prefer unimproved or tent sites. 12v only for me. 50w of solar to keep things topped off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Me too.
Electricity costs are quite high here, even though we cracked 50% renewables in this state quite a while ago.
( We have wind and solar farms and roof-top solar coming out of every orifice here. And a gigantic 189 MWhr Tesla battery to help stabilise the grid.)
The campsites are priced accordingly.
Absolute minimum seems to be 33% less for an unpowered site, which gives you the same access to amenities, except for electricity.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion