4X4 Suggestions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

4X4 Suggestions

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:38 pm

I am looking for 4X4 vehicle suggestions. Please remember, I can't stand cars. I don't feel safe in them whatsoever. Also, I have a bad back, and getting in and out of a low-lying vehicle is very painful.
This is what it will be used for...
Pulling my TTT- I might sell it and get a scamp or casitsa- keeping it small
Need to fit a chainsaw, cooler- 5 gal water jug
going up a 200+ yr old logging road in the rocky mountains (it will climb big boulders on the old road)
beach
dirt roads
desert hills
I might have some fun in it and go muddin' :D

standard transmission, 4X4, tow pkg, pre 1995. No computer chip crap. barebones basic. Just me the hubby and the dog.

I had thought about going back to school for Vet Tech, but with all this covid crap, I am going to keep my remote job.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: 4X4 Suggestions

Postby Modstock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:01 am

I'd suggest 97-99 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
They say you can tow up to 5,000lbs but 1,600 is it's max if towing up mountain ranges, 8% grades, etc.
Or a 2nd generation Dodge Dakota.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 am

Dahlia47 wrote:I am looking for 4X4 vehicle suggestions. Please remember, I can't stand cars. I don't feel safe in them whatsoever. Also, I have a bad back, and getting in and out of a low-lying vehicle is very painful.
going up a 200+ yr old logging road in the rocky mountains (it will climb big boulders on the old road)
beach
dirt roads
desert hills
standard transmission, 4X4, tow pkg, pre 1995. No computer chip crap. barebones basic. Just me the hubby and the dog.

Modstock wrote:I'd suggest 97-99 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
They say you can tow up to 5,000lbs but 1,600 is it's max if towing up mountain ranges, 8% grades, etc. Or a 2nd generation Dodge Dakota.

* To get a 4WD vehicle with NO computer chips involved, you'd need a pre-'86 model, as that's when everyone in the US started using the OBD1 protocol (though some models started earlier, with variants). Then, in 1996, OBD2 (with the 16-pin connector) was standardized, so unless you get a 1985 or earlier 4WD, you'll have to deal with computer-chipped trucks (or cars).

* I intended to build my trailer light enough to be towed by my FWD HHR Panel, but at 2225lbs (initially 1438lbs) using my 2WD Chevy 2500HD made more sense, so it has been my tow vehicle for nine years now. I've outfitted it for hauling trailers, and have my camping/emergency get-out-of-town gear loaded in the covered bed, full-time, so it's seldom used for other purposes. As both those vehicles were my daily drivers at one time or another, I became familiar with the OBD2 computerized equipment, both good and bad, that runs them...and I've used various scan-tools/dongles to diagnose problems, and/or monitor them. Though I have been an old-school shadetree mechanic, drag racer, and GM-trained tech school grad, for over 50 years, my preference for old-school non-computerized vehicles has given way to accepting new-tech vehicles.

* After retirement a few years ago, I had planned to get a 4WD vehicle to camp/explore with, but never could find what I liked, for what I wanted to pay (or could pay, at the time). I did realize that the year-models to search for would be '96-'04 (1996 being the first year of OBD2, and '04 being the last year most vehicles weren't forced to use a TPMS -tire pressure monitor system-, which I detest). Earlier vehicles ('86-'91) with OBD1, had primitive diagnostic feedback, and were harder to diagnose for me (I had an '86 S-10, and '88 Fiero, so I know!), and '85 and earlier 4WD vehicles had mostly been used-up, or clapped-out, and would require a total rebuild; So, I gave up my search, until my neighbor agreed a vehicle swap (a 4WD or AWD for my retired race-car).

* So, after 3-4 years of rebuilding/restoring, I now have now traded for a soft-road capable 2001 BMW X5 3.0i (no rock-crawling, mudding, or river-crossing for me, I'm too old and worn-out to start doing that) truck, that is able to navigate over Texas country roads (where I live and/or camp) in all-weather. I might not use it for camping, unless the right conditions need its' capabilities, so the 2WD HD truck will remain my first choice for camping, as my reality doesn't include hard-core offroad adventuring.

* In closing, let me say that any or all 4WD/AWD vehicles might be sufficient for 95% of the trailering afficianadoes on this website, and that most of the 5% hard-core are probably using computer-chipped vehicles, so don't bypass those vehicles in your search. I would search for a '96 or newer Jeep, specifically,if you're serious about off-roading (because of the tremendous aftermarket support for that platform), and get familiar with the OBD2 diagnostic tools that can help in maintaining that vehicle. In my case, I will certainly need OBD2 proficiency, as BMW seems to have more computer-chipped modules inside than any other vehicle. Good Luck!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Squigie » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:25 pm

As far back as you're going to have to go to be "computer free", brand doesn't matter. Just find the condition and functionality that you want.

Jeep Wagoneer / Grand Wagoneer
Jeep Cherokee
FJ45 Land Cruiser
Dodge Ramcharger
Ford Bronco
International Scout II / Travel-all
'75-'79 Ford Econoline 4x4, 8' van*

*('75-'79 only. -- '75-'91 shared front suspension with the F-series, which allowed for 4wd without lifting the van 8"+ like Dodge and Chevy. But they went to emissions control and OBD1 in 1980.)

* To get a 4WD vehicle with NO computer chips involved, you'd need a pre-'86 model, as that's when everyone in the US started using the OBD1 protocol (though some models started earlier, with variants). Then, in 1996, OBD2 (with the 16-pin connector) was standardized, so unless you get a 1985 or earlier 4WD, you'll have to deal with computer-chipped trucks (or cars).

Yep. And even earlier for GM vehicles.
You have to go as far back as '78 for some models. (I think it's '82 for pickups.)

That leads me to consider suggesting a pre-'79 Blazer, Suburban, or GM/Chebby pickup. But I wouldn't recommend it with a bad back. The suspension geometry was not great, leading to a pretty harsh ride in the 4x4s - even more so if lift springs are installed. And you have to let Jesus take the wheel on washboard, because nothing that you do matters.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby popper » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm

Official OBD1 years are 1991-1996. The pre-1995 era port EFI is mostly reliable stuff but they all use chips. I mean sure, avoid the early ones, avoid the known problematic ones.. and you should be good. The trucks in the years you are looking at have had plenty of time and miles to get figured out. People know which engines have what problems. I like the 4.0 straight six XJ suggestion myself. Don't know much about Dakota.

If you go super old school points and carburetors "no chips for reals" there is not much out there I can think of that will tow with decent mpg. Or if there is I'm all ears because I love old stuff too. Cannot justify the mpg is the one problem.

The "Matt's off road recovery" banana yellow XJ is pretty slick. I might try something like that if I were in your shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srb_I-GvovM
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:35 pm

I've been driving 4x4s for about 40 years now. The "chip" issue is over rated. The newer chipped 4x4s are better, more comfortable and more reliable than the old non-chip versions were. If you are old as I am, then you remember that auto repair places were always busy through the 80s , the late 90s really saw improvements in reliability. I had a 67 Bronco that I swapped in the drivetrain, computers and all from 91 mustang. It really wasn't that complicated. If you can figure out how a carb works, you can figure out what the sensors do.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:10 pm

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:53 am

Socal Tom wrote:I've been driving 4x4s for about 40 years now. The "chip" issue is over rated. The newer chipped 4x4s are better, more comfortable and more reliable than the old non-chip versions were. If you are old as I am, then you remember that auto repair places were always busy through the 80s , the late 90s really saw improvements in reliability. I had a 67 Bronco that I swapped in the drivetrain, computers and all from 91 mustang. It really wasn't that complicated. If you can figure out how a carb works, you can figure out what the sensors do.
Tom

I agree.

tony.latham wrote:

:thumbsup:

Tony

I love our '06 Tacoma 4x4. It has been unbelievably reliable when I compare it to some of the 60's thru early 90's vehicles we have had. That is not just a feeling; it is fact. 265,000 miles and only in the shop for routine maintenance and a few recalls.

Being a truck does not make it safer than a car. Air bags, ABS brakes, engineered crush zones for collisions, etc. make a vehicle safer.

For 4-wheeling, and urban traffic, plus trailer hauling I prefer an automatic transmission. Modern automatics like the one in the '06 Tacoma are reliable. Do the fluid changes as recommended. That goes for all the fluids and that avoids many issues.

I do have a '68 Volvo I own for various nostalgic reasons. I always hated the carburetors. Now it has a later model fuel injected, turbo'd Volvo engine with all the associated electronics and a bunch more horsepower. Also later model brakes, wheels, tires. I love it! Old styling and modern powertrain.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:19 am

Dahlia47, you have a virtually impossible quest

"fuel economy" "towing" & "4x4" do not fit into the same sentence or even the same paragraph

factor in "no chips" and you really do have an incongruent quest

unless you are a restoration expert and/or have tubs of money

of the above suggested options for your adventures i have only owned the Jeep Cherokee XJ actually 2 of them and 2 of the Jeep Wranglers(a '95YJ & '97 TJ)

the "they say" you can tow 5k# is not correct UNLESS you are on flat n level pavement and don't need to stop said load or take any curves/corners

and even then you would be 3k# over Jeep's documented towing limit of 2k#(even w/ brakes)

the Wranglers are shorter and present directional stability issues when towing anything more than a small motorcycle trailer

my last XJ(2000 4 liter inline 6cylinder/automatic/4-door w/ factory towing pkg) was still going strong had 304k miles on the clock when i sold her

my 1st XJ was the original 1984 w/ 2.5 liter and a 4-speed that i added a 2" hitch receiver to and sold after driving her only just over 100k miles

due to towing the '84 had to have a cutch assly replaced @ 65k miles though no other issues than regular maintenance and normal wear n tear replacements

the 2000 had no transmission issues and otherwise only normal wear n tear n age issues

neither XJ left me in the lurch

XJ's are getting harder n harder to find and unmodified ones like my 2000 are quite rare

the 2000 took me from -6"(driving in salt water) to up n over the Great Divide(Engineer Pass @ 12,800')

butt so did my YJ and TJ

bottom line ... no chip related issues what so ever

actually the electronic fuel injection(chip driven) made life so much more dependable ... like way more so than the carbureted 1984 XJ

everyone has their own ideas/quests ... i'm just sharing actual personal experiences w/ real vehicles

IMHO if you are really set on the above stated quest you are looking for a mid 1980's or older Ford pick up w/ the 300cubic inch inline 6 cylinder / granny 4-speed

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby popper » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:19 am

The mpg part was my interjection. To be fair I don't think the original post mentions it at all.

In my experience some of them early 80's EFI do not perform as well, depending on model. The later end of that decade tends to be better. The original post mentions pre-95 so I think they can find plenty of good choices in that 85 to 95 span. I would bias my search toward 90-95 myself.

While we talking Jeep.. There is a pretty good v8 grand in that era too if you can find one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_(ZJ)...
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:54 am

Dahlia47 wrote:I am looking for 4X4 vehicle suggestions. Please remember, I can't stand cars. I don't feel safe in them whatsoever. Also, I have a bad back, and getting in and out of a low-lying vehicle is very painful.
beach
dirt roads
desert hills

I had thought about going back to school for Vet Tech, but with all this covid crap, I am going to keep my remote job.

Dig for and find a top condition International Harvester Scout 2. CHecks all your boxes.
So would a K5 Chevy Blazer, Full Size Ford Bronco, and full size Jeep Waggoneer / Cherokee.

Basically any of the original "real" SUVs, and honestly, you want pre about 1985 if you wanto to avoid excessive computerization.

The Scout was honestly the most basic of them all, and also the most rugged. You will need to modify slightly, lift kit, fender trim and tires, but other than that, very, VERY durable. I would love to restore / mod one of them as a this is gooing to be my retirement rig kind of thing...
Last edited by dbhosttexas on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 am

popper wrote:The mpg part was my interjection. To be fair I don't think the original post mentions it at all.

In my experience some of them early 80's EFI do not perform as well, depending on model. The later end of that decade tends to be better. The original post mentions pre-95 so I think they can find plenty of good choices in that 85 to 95 span. I would bias my search toward 90-95 myself.

While we talking Jeep.. There is a pretty good v8 grand in that era too if you can find one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_(ZJ)...

the EFI units are definitely chip'd

daughter had a V-8 Grand and the dealership couldn't keep enuff parts on hand to keep the ones they sold running properly

there was always a backlog for parts

as for the mpg i was just gathering bits n pieces from "above"

this subject pops up on several forums i follow repeatedly and the OP's never change

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:37 pm

:frightened:
I somewhat regret selling my previous vehicles. Moving to the city, I needed something different.
I had an 88 suzuki samurai 4wd with a wench...i had an 88 ford bronco 3 in lift kit granny gear 4 wd. Ugh!

With the suggestions above I am leaning towards chevy blazer (my dad had one), the scout. Ill research those two. Thank You All!!!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm

No computer chip crap.

Out of curiosity, why are you recoiling against this? They're probably the most reliable part of the vehicle these days.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:22 pm

I like older vehicles, and a simpler engine...its what we used on the mountain growing up.
My current truck is a nissan frontier 2014 . HUsband has a 2009 nissan titan. The plastic parts come lose crack the sensors always fail and need replaced. I also prefer a standard transmission. That is very hard to find in new vehicles.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion