What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby popper » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:11 pm

Kind of f'd up but with a little silver rtv bead laid on top.. still useful. Like myself!

Probably not a weldable alloy?
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:21 pm

twisted lines wrote:I turned a shiny piece of Aluminum into this.
Box road side.jpg

And through away a router bit

I've done that with teak when the template slipped...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:22 pm

I installed some front stabilizer jacks on my trailer, yes it is a new one but it is still a tiny trailer. 8)
Attachments
Jacks.JPG
Jacks.JPG (185.74 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Brisket

Postby noseoil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:27 am

Fired up the smoker this weekend. Pulled a brisket out of the freezer. Last year's price was $3.49/Lb. at Costco, so it's a $68.00 hunk of meat (2020 in the fall), this year the same piece would be $8.00/Lb, or $175.00. Guess it could be worse, lumber would be higher, but still...

Oh sorry, no finished pictures, we got busy eating & I forgot to do the "after" shot.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 pm

Something dumb, but ordered a weather radio / emergency radio off of Amazon. They had a 5 way powered job with solar, hand crank blah blah blah... AM/FM/SW/ and WX with 7 channels...

The shortwave is so tight it is REALLY hard to tune anything in...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:47 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Something dumb, but ordered a weather radio / emergency radio off of Amazon. They had a 5 way powered job with solar, hand crank blah blah blah... AM/FM/SW/ and WX with 7 channels...

I love my Baofang standard handheld radio, took a medium amount of education to learn to program and use but I enjoy learning a new skill, I programmed with all the usual prepper SHTF channels along with the NOAA channels
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:12 pm

2bits wrote:
dbhosttexas wrote:Something dumb, but ordered a weather radio / emergency radio off of Amazon. They had a 5 way powered job with solar, hand crank blah blah blah... AM/FM/SW/ and WX with 7 channels...

I love my Baofang standard handheld radio, took a medium amount of education to learn to program and use but I enjoy learning a new skill, I programmed with all the usual prepper SHTF channels along with the NOAA channels

This one is 100% analog. THe cheap Raynic from Amazon.

Been playing with the shortwave, will come up with a list of channels to keep handy for stuff that I want to listen to...

I intentionally avoided digital tuning / displays for durability sake...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Earlier this month. Exploring 3 more spots along Maine's coastline away from the crowds.

https://bywaysnohighways.com/?p=1210
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:25 pm

popper wrote:Kind of f'd up but with a little silver rtv bead laid on top.. still useful. Like myself!

Probably not a weldable alloy?

White Caulk showed up today; Gray (Amazon next Week) :?
Weldable? Yes.
I can't match the Finnish and I am very good at it.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:42 pm

I had an empty 20lb propane tank that was left in the shed when we bought our house. I knocked out the valve, trimmed off the top handle/valve guard, cut out around the valve bung for a hole big enough to fit some 6" stove pipe, then cut an opening in the side.

Gonna make it into a chimenea. Ive always wanted one, but I have my doubts about hot pottery with Ohio weather, and cast iron ones aren't cheap. Stove pipe was about $6. I've already got some angle iron to make some legs. Ill need to pick up a spray can or two of some stove paint.

Last thing for today was to build a fire in it to burn off all the paint and residual petroleum leftovers. I neglected to get a photo and it got too dark outside by the time I thought of it.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:18 am

DrewsBrews wrote:I had an empty 20lb propane tank that was left in the shed when we bought our house. I knocked out the valve, trimmed off the top handle/valve guard, cut out around the valve bung for a hole big enough to fit some 6" stove pipe, then cut an opening in the side.

Gonna make it into a chimenea. Ive always wanted one, but I have my doubts about hot pottery with Ohio weather, and cast iron ones aren't cheap. Stove pipe was about $6. I've already got some angle iron to make some legs. Ill need to pick up a spray can or two of some stove paint.

Last thing for today was to build a fire in it to burn off all the paint and residual petroleum leftovers. I neglected to get a photo and it got too dark outside by the time I thought of it.

My late brother in law used to do something similar. He would chop the excess bits off, and spin them sideways, slice them into clamshells, and convert them to small tabletop BBQ grills. They work awesome.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 pm

DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Rummaged through my electrical parts box. Dredged up a damaged 12ga extension cord that I ran the circ saw into. Clipped the ends and came up with 12'. Grabbed a GFCI, plastic exterior weatherproof box, and plug. Drilled for the cable, assembled so I have a GFCI into a cable.

Ordered the marine power input to complete my power input setup. So the camper build is coming along, painfully slowly, but it IS coming along...

dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Not much progress today. Trimmed back outer jacket and insured I had enough loose wire in the outlet box for the camper, and globbed the gap where the wire goes through the plug to insure no water intrusion from the bottom.

Letting it cure now...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:37 pm

Set up a simple wood stove fan attachment rig for my Portable Buddy heater. Used a wire coathanger as a donor for the wire for this, however I am looking for a heavier gauge wire to recreate this. Will test this out as soon as temps dip a bit over the next 2 weeks...

Simply put, I grabbed the least expensive well rated wood stove heat powered fan from Amazon, and rigged a hanger bracket.

I tested it out with the Buddy Heater on low. It quickly overwhelmed the AC in the space. The little wood stove fan REALLY pushes a LOT more air than I expected, allowing the buddy heater fill the space with heat instead of losing it to the ceiling immediately.

I think we have found a complete win for the winters!
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion