Is Insulating the trailer necessary

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Is Insulting the trailer necessary

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 am

Gold5one wrote:All the work I did building two layer foam insulated walls was a waste of time and money. Only the roof needs insulation. Ask yourself- Do fair weather campers need an insulated tent?

* I tend to agree with you; camping from March-September in N. Texas, I've seen temperatures from 38-108 degrees, where a 200 watt heater or a 5000 btu A/C made sleeping quite comfortable. I use an 11" fan to circulate the conditioned air all-around, so with two small vents on the sidewalls, there is no condensation inside. I nearly retro-fitted insulation, but decided I didn't really need it.

* As for roof insulation, I used aluminized silo paint on top, front sloped roof, and rear hatch to reflect the sun's heat, but I never have camped without using a canopy totally covering the top, so it really wasn't necessary. The canopy gets the brunt of the sunlight, and the airgap in-between eliminates most of the heat build-up. A side tent on one side (or sidewall flap), and the overhang of the canopy on the other side, serve to keep the trailer mostly shaded, and cooler. If the trailer is subjected to the "usual" Texas T-storm at night, and it becomes damp or chilly inside, then a second 200 watt heater can be added. Both ends of the weather spectrum are covered (at least here).
rain-proof camping set-ups I use.jpg
rain-proof camping set-ups I use.jpg (249.76 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

* Having camped for several years in tents (mainly in the Boy Scouts, in the early 60's), I found the Army-surplus tents we used were hot in spring/summer, cold in fall/winter, and mostly damp and miserable in the "usual" (it has rained every time I've camped, I think) T-storm. After a few years, those tents had a particularly-musty-moldy smell I still recall today, so I surely prefer my 4x8 trailer; having most of the comforts of sleeping at home, instead of just sleeping on bare/rocky/wet ground make even the most basic teardrop/squaredrop better than a tent.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby booyah » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:33 pm

So my TD is fully insulated, 3/4" R11 foam board in all walls, roof, floor and between the galley and the cabin.

I would do it again the exact same way :-)
On a hot day outside the sun beating on the walls doesnt cook you inside, you open the windows, and blow the fan and you get a cool breeze sitting in the shade.

On a cold winters night the 400w electric heater can keep it uncomfortably warm inside (been out a few nights below 20f)
on the middle season days/nights you dont worry about condensation or campground noise.

Overall it was absolutely worth the effort and expense
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:46 pm

If you ever want to see why you should insulate, you just need to sleep in the back of a pickup with a fiberglass topper in cool weather. I woke up when condensation dripped off the topper INTO MY MOUTH! :frightened: :SH :oops:

Yeah, I insulated both my trailers and I'll insulate anything else I build. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:43 pm

bdosborn wrote:If you ever want to see why you should insulate, you just need to sleep in the back of a pickup with a fiberglass topper in cool weather. I woke up when condensation dripped off the topper INTO MY MOUTH!

I wouldn't want perspiration dripping on me, either! A very good reason to insulate a small camper's roof. I had a 5000 btu A/C in my 60 sf Weekender and it was too much cooling for a small insulated camper. But if I had not bothered to insulate the walls, I'm pretty sure the compressor wouldn't have spent all night cycling on and off.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:34 am

for aircon the roof is pretty irrelevant, the floor should be thicker than the walls

opposite for heating of course
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:04 pm

On hot days I open the roof vent, and run a PC fan that pulls in outside air and pushes it out of the top. This keeps the inside no warmer than the outside and my TD is dark colored. I've done the same at night and it keeps the interior from getting "stuffy". When its cold I don't camp.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:50 pm

the floor should be thicker than the walls

looking to learn why. the floor will have a mattress on it. The walls I can see . If you can not stop bridging
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby frankiekayak » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:40 pm

This is exactly the thread I've been looking for!

I'm about to start the skinning phase and pondered if I can skip the XPS insulation boards on the walls and just do the ceiling. Considering the walls have a 1-1/2" air gap from using 2x2's for the stick frame leads me to think that gap will help. I am going to be using corrugated plastic panels for the inside walls and inside ceiling to keep the weight down too. If I, later, decide that the insulation would be better, I figure I can easily take the inside panels off and insulate the camper next year. Plus I would save $200 if I don't insulate. Having bought nearly everything, my budget is almost depleted so I am beginning to question any further purchases with the "need vs want" reasoning.

I'm hopping to use the camper anytime between April thru November up here in New York.

Am I on the right track?
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:55 pm

In a word YES !

1/19/2008 it went sub zero that night !

1/16/2010 Stayed in the brisk teens :roll:

1/14/2012 it was a nice day but a bit cool :snowstorm:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 pm

For me, and mind you I live and camp in and around Texas where for the most part it is HOT and HUMID. So yes, for ME insulation is a must have, along with radiant barrier. So anything facing directly skyward gets a coating of Henry Tropicool...

Hence my more than minor interest in foamies.

Mind you, I grew up in the PNW, and humidty was not the issue it is here in the south,

Mind you, even in a tent, we "insulate" by using Reflectix panels and silver tarps.

No you are not going to get residential type insulation values, but you will certainly have improved comfort in an insulated camper than in an uninsulated can.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby frankiekayak » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Bob, Are you saying "Yes" to my question of "Am I on the right track? (not to need insulation with a 1-1/2" air gap) or are you saying "Yes" to the original subject line's question?
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Capebuild wrote:Does everyone insulate their trailer? I know it's probably a given if you're planning to camp in the winter.
I realize maybe insulating the roof is a good idea, since most heat will rise and escape from there.
I suppose I'm looking for people's thoughts on the issue.

thanks very much.

John

I just re-read the title to this thread, and nearly shot coffee out of my nose.

No, insulting the tralier is really unneccessary. On the contrary you should speak kindly to it and give it compliments. Even though it's an inanimate object, I can say from first hand experience, last time I called a vehicle a dirty so of a b*** it left me stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

Chose your words wisely!

:lol:
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm

John61CT wrote:for aircon the roof is pretty irrelevant, the floor should be thicker than the walls

opposite for heating of course

While I understand the reasoning, I respectfully disagree. Or maybe not. YES the floor should be thicker insulated than the floor for AC weather, HOWEVER, I wouldn't neglect some sort of radiant barrier on the top such as Tropicool, or at the very least, light color paint, or polished aluminum skinning etc... Not only do you want to keep the cool air in, much more importantly you want to keep heat gain OUT.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:44 pm

Yes, of course shading is best, reflective coating helps,

a tightly sealed envelope is critical - lots of ventilation available but 100% controlled

And some R-value in the roof certainly is not a waste

especially given cold nights are an issue even in Death Valley.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm

the floor should be thicker than the walls

John:

Where did you read this?

You need to understand that a teardrop is a bed on wheels. Our mattress is 8" thick. Think about that when you build yours.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion