Let The Games Begin!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Let The Games Begin!

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:37 pm

Well, I'm committed, or should it read I should be committed? I ordered the axel today, a 2000 pound Torqflex, 60 inch unit with 5 on 4 1/2" hubs. :)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:00 pm

SteveH,, ordering an axle is not grounds for being committed however from this point on all additions to said axle are under the direct watchful eyes of the board,,any and or all additions are subject to starting the preliminary commitment procedures,,,
look on the bright side,,if you are commited to this thing , you in good company,,take pictures,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:36 pm

Chip,

Yea, I'm commited. I've got a drawing I plan to work from. I've got a BOM (Bill Of Materials) for all the major stuff and a cost estimate, which I'm SHURE is right on. :roll: I've got dimentions of all the galley appliances I want, and have designed the galley to accomodate all of them, and a pretty comprehesive plan on how to build the Teardrop, thanks to all the fine input from all the folks on this board.

I do plan on taking pictures for evidence also! :D
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:09 pm

Remember to measure once and cut twice and double your cost estimate. :D
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:16 pm

you go Steve!!!
so whats the dimensions gonna be..at 60 inches for the axle, your looking at 4 foot wide i think?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Scooter » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:04 pm

Steve where'd you get the axle, and if you don't mind saying how much it cost? I'll be getting one to upgrade the 990 lb axle and springs on my HF before it's done, which should be before spring.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:56 am

I've planned a pretty traditional Teardrop except it will be 5' wide, outside. The axle was ordered from http://www.southwestwheel.com/ The gentleman I talked with said they are built to order (whatever width you want), they were building axels today, and since they are in Lubbock, TX and I'm in San Antonio, should have it pretty soon. The axel with hubs, bearings and seals is $214, and of course being a Torqflex, that includes the suspension. I'm planning on going after steel tomorrow, and with just a little cooperation from the weather (Man am I SICK of this rain!), I should have a frame by sometime next week.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BrianB » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:41 am

Congrats, Steve! Are you going to weld it together yourself, or have you found someone?
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:08 am

Brian,

I'm going to weld it up myself. I do have a wire feed welder, and although I'm not a great welder, think I can dob this thing together alright.

It seems most everyone uses 2" square tubing to build the frames. Seems like that is a bit of overkill to me. Planing on using heavy 2"X2"X1/4" angle, doubled to form a square for about 4' on the sides over the axel.

What's everyone's opinion on that one? Come on now, don't be shy, I really want to know what you think.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nubwon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:51 pm

Hi Steve. I used 2 X 2 X 1/4" angle on mine, and it seems like it will be plenty strong enough. I had the metal given to me, along with the torflex axle, so my frame just cost the price of my hitch coupler, and a tongue jack.....
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:01 pm

Wow, what a deal! I just got thru calculating the total cost of my frame at about $345 plus or minus, depending on the freight on the axel, and that does not include wheels and tires.

Seems I never come up with deals like that. :roll:
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:08 pm

Steve: Read what I said in Freebie Challenge post about frame.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:40 pm

Steve, I used 1 X 2 square tubing for my frame and it seems plenty strong, so your 2 inch angle doubled up into square tubeing shape is, in my opinion, overkill also.
I'd go with jusy the angle and see how it turns out.
As for your axle, i'm still not sure that your gonna get a 5 foot wide interior dimension using a 5 foot wide axle..does the axle itself measure 5 foot, or is it 60 inches hubface to hubface?..just trying to get it straight in my head.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:48 pm

Jim,

I'm making the outside width 60 inches (5 foot) because that is the widest AVAILABLE aluminum around here. The interior will be about 58 1/2 inches minus any trim as around the doors.

The Torqflex axles are built to order, and the dimention they work from is outside frame width. Mine is being built 60 inches. Don't know what the flange dimention is, but it's wider...whatever the spindles stick out from the axel.

The main reason I'm doubling the frame rails is for convient attachment of the axel. By doubleing the angle iron in that area I'm effectively making it a section of square tubing for the axel to bolt up to. The way I see it is, the strongest part of the frame needs to be the side rails above the axel because the weight of the trailer is applied to one point about 6-8 inches wide with the Torqflex axel....right were it attaches.

With a typical leaf spring suspension trailer, the weight is spread along the side rail at the two attachment points for the spring, or the length of the spring.

So those are the two reasons I plan to build the frame by doubling a section of the side rails, for mounting convience, and frame strength.

The reason I'm using angle iron as apposed to square tubing is first it is cheaper, second I believe it is strong enough for the weight of the Teardrop I'm building, and third, it's easier. :wink: I won't have to weld on any special brackets or plates to use to attach the body to the frame because the angle iron itself will be the bracket....just drill the hole thru the angle and floor and install the elevator bolts. You see, I' basically lazy and don't want to work any harder than I have to. :lol:

Unless of course, someone has a better way to suggest to me? :)
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:58 pm

Jiminsav wrote:Steve, I used 1 X 2 square tubing for my frame

Hey Jim,
I must be loosing it. I could've swore that you were going to do an all wood frame. Maybe I've got half-heimers? :roll:

Next

Return to General Discussion