It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby steve wolverton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 am

I agree with ditching the hatch. I think a lot of the tear guys just don't want to give that up. ;) I think a hatch may put off a lot of potential builders. My thoughts are this is a tiny travel trailer, and not a teardrop on steroids.

If this is a hurricane evacuation trailer (HET?) then why would anyone want to go outside and walk to the back of the camper to prepare food? The last place I want to be is outside when fleeing a storm, or camping in bad weather. Even if we're hundreds of miles away from a 'cane, or sloppy weather, it's going to rain. Rain, rain, and then rain some more.

A small counter space that would hold a little stove, microwave, etc. is all that is needed. We don't need to get fancy in the design, let's keep this simple, and individual builders can add all the bells/whistles/hatches they want.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tear Les » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am

steve wolverton wrote:I agree with ditching the hatch. I think a lot of the tear guys just don't want to give that up. ;) I think a hatch may put off a lot of potential builders. My thoughts are this is a tiny travel trailer, and not a teardrop on steroids.

If this is a hurricane evacuation trailer (HET?) then why would anyone want to go outside and walk to the back of the camper to prepare food? The last place I want to be is outside when fleeing a storm, or camping in bad weather. Even if we're hundreds of miles away from a 'cane, or sloppy weather, it's going to rain. Rain, rain, and then rain some more.

A small counter space that would hold a little stove, microwave, etc. is all that is needed. We don't need to get fancy in the design, let's keep this simple, and individual builders can add all the bells/whistles/hatches they want.

Steve,

I agreee with you 100%. If I have to choose between swing doors and a hatch I'd rather have the hatch. I'd rather have neither if I'm actually going to build a Tiny Trailer and not a Teardrop-style trailer.

I think Puffin is an ideal standy; with the flat section it has in the middle it could be built anywhere from the size you built the original to several feet longer (mine would be only slightly longer (about a foot) to get a 60" wide bed).
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby HMK » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Put a Bar Stool in and we could have...

Swinging Doors, a Juke Box and a Bar Stool. I believe there a country song something like that!

:guzzle:
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby rmclarke » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 am

how about "boxy", 5 1/2 x 10 rear entry, escape-hatchish, drop floor with a trolley top. .. ok, I know we're moving away from simple here, but ever since I saw Doug H's RocketTear I can't stop thinking about trolley tops.. 8) ... this one is called the 'Zarkov' because it reminds me of Flash Gordon's spaceship :lol:

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:37 am

What about bunk beds...???with storage below bottom one
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:51 pm

That bit about flipping the interior floorplan of A around and sticking it into the C shell would work, I think.

Bunk beds with storage seems to work in A-Liners and Chalets.

Hatch ... yeah, I could see its usefulness but I can also feel the rain cutting in underneath the edges in Louisiana (in January of 1979 this rain was ice).

Maybe a half-hatch, like you did on that OSB Weekender?

Simple is good, but trolley tops are soooooooooo sexy, and drop-able floors are, if you want true standy room without having to pay a HUGE penalty in mpg (NOT a negligibile consideration in a bugout situation, as the Rita evac thru hundreds of miles of Texas with no open gas stations proved in '05) nearly a must.

Hmm.
The Long Haul and the Cabin Car are starting to make their overall utility obvious, no?

I do like C's back door, and the privacy factor it could offer if you're going to include a semblance of a bathroom is a big bonus.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:18 am

After reading all the posts, I kinda agree for a bug-out trailer a full galley outside may not be the best idea? So how about a sort half in-half out galley? And how about a porta-potty/shower that isn't full standy height? Ya just sit on the potty and shower... The galley could be normal height for inside cooking and still have a half hatch outside... with some outside storage for DOs and BBQ grill, etc? Just been playin round with Mike's floorplan... Seems to me something like this could work, although you may need to raise the rear profile a little.

<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Tear Les » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Well, I'm just home for lunch (then back to work) so I can't do a drawing but taking a lead from Brick I'm going to work on an idea for something a little different for the shower.

So you have the potty room at the opposite side from the entrance and it's in an area that doesn't have full standing headroom...but between the potty room and the entry door you have a dropped floor. I'm thinking of using the drop floor as the shower pan with a drain out the bottom; the sides and bottom of the drop floor could be waterproof and it would be easy to enclose it with a shower curtain on a track and run the shower wand from the nearby sink faucet.

:crazy:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:48 pm

I can show you my design but I'd have to claim discovery rights. :D I think I will call it "The NightCap". I have toiled long and hard to come up with a design that works for me.

Sitting on the toilet you can rest your arm on the sink. Can you picture it? 8)

Also dropped floor all the way across including under toilet.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:01 pm

NightCap wrote:I can show you my design but I'd have to claim discovery rights. :D I think I will call it "The NightCap". I have toiled long and hard to come up with a design that works for me.

Move the sink closer to the stove. Storage cabinet where the sink is.
Bed makes table for counter "prep" space.

Or put a removable counter over the toilet for food prep :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:09 pm

Or a simple hole in the floor........and after you "go" you just hook up the trailer and move it a few feet.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Tear Les » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:41 pm

This is the one I've been working with for the last few days:

The dinette drops into a queen sized bed. There is a Norcold DE-0051 AC/DC refrigerator under the fron counter. A drop-in Subruban 2-burner cooktop and a sink are on the counter; I've preserved work space over the refrigeartor and ahead of the toilet compartment. There is overhead storage and both ends.

The toilet (Porta-Potti 585) sits at the forward end of the street-side dinette seat inside a cabinet (looks like an end table). For use the top flips up against the outside wall along with about 1/2 the front cover which is hinged to the top and folds down when the lid is raised. The lower half of the front cover hinges down to form a footrest over the dropped floor section. [For the guys...for a standing visit the lower half of the front stays up and the height is about right standing on the dropped floor section facing the toilet.]

The drop section floor gives standing headroom for me at 70" (the trailer's overall height is about 81").
Last edited by Tear Les on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Les » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:45 pm

NightCap wrote:I can show you my design but I'd have to claim discovery rights. :D I think I will call it "The NightCap". I have toiled long and hard to come up with a design that works for me.

I like it Nightcap! :applause:

I would change the swing of that entry door though; if you every forget to close the door completely or the latch ever pops you'll likely lose the door or damage it badly (or the contents of the trailer will get sucked out). If you reverse the door the wind pressue will tend to hold the door closed. Also it's easier to waterproof the hinge against rain at 60 mph than it is the edge where the door closes.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Tear Les wrote:
I like it Nightcap! :applause:

I would change the swing of that entry door though; if you every forget to close the door completely or the latch ever pops you'll likely lose the door or damage it badly (or the contents of the trailer will get sucked out). If you reverse the door the wind pressue will tend to hold the door closed. Also it's easier to waterproof the hinge against rain at 60 mph than it is the edge where the door closes.

Thanks and Very good point Les. I will change that.
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby apratt » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:02 pm

Tear Les wrote:This is the one I've been working with for the last few days:

The dinette drops into a queen sized bed. There is a Norcold DE-0051 AC/DC refrigerator under the fron counter. A drop-in Subruban 2-burner cooktop and a sink are on the counter; I've preserved work space over the refrigeartor and ahead of the toilet compartment. There is overhead storage and both ends.

The toilet (Porta-Potti 585) sits at the forward end of the street-side dinette seat inside a cabinet (looks like an end table). For use the top flips up against the outside wall along with about 1/2 the front cover which is hinged to the top and folds down when the lid is raised. The lower half of the front cover hinges down to form a footrest over the dropped floor section. [For the guys...for a standing visit the lower half of the front stays up and the height is about right standing on the dropped floor section facing the toilet.]

The drop section floor gives standing headroom for me at 70" (the trailer's overall height is about 81").

I have a drawing simmiler to that. I have the stove above the frig and move the sink to where the stove was, then where the toilet is I have a 32"x40" bathroom and made the couch on that side a little longer. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion