Towing with automatic lockers?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Towing with automatic lockers?

Postby dangerranger » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:38 pm

I don't know if the OP has already done his swap but 4 Wheel Parts does cut you a pretty good break if you bring the axel in as bench work. and in OCT they have their yearly sale including installation. I don't work for them but have used them in the past, and was happy with a gear swap they did.
I do have experience with Detroit Lockers, they are loud. if you are under power and make a tight corner they will unlock and as you straighten out they relock. When they relock they do squirm sideways[ under power]. That experience was in large Ford trucks in the 70's. In my own jeep I ran limited slip in the front and True Trac in the rear. My dads ran an open front and the True Trac in the rear. Both towed and off roaded without problems. Good Luck. DR
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Towing with automatic lockers?

Postby lfhoward » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi DR,
Thanks for your insights. I have decided to hold off on making any changes to the driveline for now. Mostly it’s a lack of $$$ that I could throw at this, but I’ve also decided against putting in any kind of lunchbox locker. The Detroit TrueTrac would be my traction aid of choice, and since the carrier has to come out to install it, I figured I should wait until I’m ready to do gears at the same time. My Jeep would run & tow better with 4.10 gears than the 3.73’s in it right now.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion