Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Please post your completed trailer's size/weight

Postby bdosborn » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:04 am

6.5'X11' - 2900# Loaded with food and water.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Larry C wrote:Sharon,
This is a great thread :thumbsup: I hope it keeps going. An interesting addition would be the approx. build cost.

That would be interesting, Larry, but many people don't keep track of that or become embarrassed when the dollars start to add up.
Also, posting how much you paid to build your trailer could be a disadvantage when you get ready to sell as buyers use that as a way to get you to lessen your asking price.

There are a few threads on the forum about cost of builds but they seem to die out pretty quickly.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:21 pm

I have replaced the charts with updated information to reflect all of the above data provided to date. You can see the charts on page 1, first entry. Again, sorry that the information is grainy and hard to read; but remember that these are still in draft state.

We have rolled over to the third page, people! So far, we have 86 trailers listed.

Thanks for your help. Please keep the information coming. When I get enough new data, I'll update the charts again.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Another thing about cost that I am suspicious about is if someone does not keep very close track, they might just tend to add up the big ticket items in their head and forget all of the small stuff that makes a big difference in the total cost.

Nothing malicious about it, just not living in the reality of the thing. "The best way to build an inexpensive TD is to not keep track." You can quote me on that one.

I'm sure thrifty is possible, but I feel it is misleading. Just because you already have a trailer, or someone gives you one, or if you can scrounge all of your plywood from a job site or your work, does not mean that this is a practical option for others.

So asking for cost, IMO, would probably yield misleading results. But then again the averages might be a reasonable target... to add the 20/ct overrun onto! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a good thing that you are doing, Sharon. Thankyou. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:14 pm

KCStudly wrote:Another thing about cost that I am suspicious about is if someone does not keep very close track, they might just tend to add up the big ticket items in their head and forget all of the small stuff that makes a big difference in the total cost.

Then there are the costs like, "3 boxes of screws, only used 2.25 boxes" the .75 could set around for years waiting for that special project. Or the tools you buy cause you never really had a good reason to get them before and now you do and may not use it again, for 11 years. Or like in my build all of the 1/2 inch plywood came from some place. Not sure where cause I can't remember buying any. Must have been in the shop when I bought it with my house. i got a bunch of stuff with the house including a 1968 Massy 1080 tractor, a real tractor. So that cost would be $60,000. Think I could sell it on Ebay?

:lol: Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah it's probably a wash.

I've tried to be honest with myself and others, keeping a direct and non-direct list of cost. Router bits and tools go on the indirect list, along with supplies that may or may not go 100/ct into the build, while items that go entirely into the build, like wood, canvas and trailer stuff go on the direct list. If I use up something on the indirect list and have to buy more, the first entry gets moved to the direct list.

I could buy crappy cheap sand paper, but the good stuff is so much more enjoyable and productive to use! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But to leave the cost of sandpaper out of the build tally altogether is totally misleading. I stopped buying the small packs and have started buying the 20 packs because they are more economical!

Experienced builders and hobbyist probably don't need help estimating, or even care what the project will realistically cost, but newbies and novices who are concerned about the cost and need to be realistic in their expectations may be overwhelmed and disillusioned if they are told one thing and find out that it is entirely different when starting from scratch.

If there ever is a No. 2, I will spend a lot less money on materials, fit and finish, and just build to camp. One of my first choices was a Weekender.

Sorry Sharon if this is too far off topic. :roll:

Sure would like to share one of those Moose Drools with you some day, Randy. :beer:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:07 am

I forgot about the cost of design supplies. Like Moose Drool. Thanks for the reminder KC

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:05 am

FoamStream ... 13’5.5” long , ~1000#, ~ $1000 USD materials ... $14,783.02 in Labor ... and still counting :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 am

6x10 cargo dry # 1000 and waiting on it to get here :D :D Sorry miss print :x :x :x
Last edited by bc toys on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:33 am

bc toys wrote:6x19 cargo dry # 1000 and waiting on it to get here :D :D

A 6x19 that only weighs 1000#? What is it made of?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:00 am

I "gathered" this comment from Wild Idaho's build and brought it over here so we could list the size and weight of another pop-top!

myoung wrote:Enjoy the build. For similar reasons, I too chose the Compact design, but made quite a few modifications to design and layout and size. As a point of reference, my 6x11x5.5 trailer weighs 1,450 with a full propane tank, half water tank, and full port-potti.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dguff » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:00 pm

My trailer is 4.5 ft by 9.0 ft and weighs about 800 lbs. Walls are 1/2" plywood. Not the one pictured in the avatar!!

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:09 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I don't think I could even come up with a cost of my teardrop. I can't even remmber all the dry wall sqrews I bought and hand sqrewed in with a screw driver! I bought it all over a peroid of 4 years. some of it was found in a local land fill some of it was stuff I had on hand already some came of ebay and some out of hardware stores such as ace and some from lumber stores and some from harbor freight. some was a parts from a old pop up trailer I bought and tore apart for parts.

I don't think I could really come up with a cost to my teardrop I didn't save any recipets or write nothing down.

slow

Yup! I know what you mean. :yes: Most of my receipts are still sitting in a shoe box.

Thanks, all. Please keep posting your completed trailers' sizes and weights. I'll update the charts again, when we get a bunch more.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Charts updated and moved to the beginning (page 1) and end of postings as of 8/5/13 @ 9:23 PM
Last edited by S. Heisley on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
alaska teardrop wrote:
    Sharon, you've taken on quite a worthwhile & useful project. :thumbsup:
    But hey, what about us folks that build with metal? :thinking:
    Alaska Teardrops - 880# (4x8) Aluminum over steel tube.
    Northern Lite Traveler - 525# (4x7) Aluminum over aluminum tube.
    Stacie's Glampette - 554# (4x6) Aluminum over steel & aluminum tube.

I thought about that but it's hard to separate those out, as these types have been considered and lumped into "traditional" building styles for quite a while. It would be especially difficult to do that as these statistics started 5 years ago, back in 2008, and some of these builders don't log on very often any more. Most aluminum clad trailers still have traditional framing and plywood or plywood-like interior walls and ceilings. Some have 1/8" plywood under the aluminum; others, do not. In thinking about the aluminum, I had to consider and rationalize that the weight of a 4x8' sheet of aluminum was probably close enough to the weight of 1/8" plywood. :worship: Under the circumstances, I really had little choice.

Also, please recognize that the weight of a trailer is mostly in the hands of the builder, regardless of what materials are used. There will be some who will over-build, totally, with 2x4 lumber and some, who build like you do. Some will build with oak or walnut and others, with poplar. Rookies, in particular, tend to think that they are building a house and put supporting boards or spars every 16 or 18 inches, or even closer, instead of framing sparingly. Each choice makes a difference; but, over-all, the averages that we come up with will give people an idea of what to expect; and, if they want to look at the weight of a specific trailer, the forum member's name will give them enough information to pursue more knowledge. The same may be found true with foamies. Although only a few foamie owners have come forward, so far, one can already see that there can be wide differences in weight, dependent upon the builder's style and even the trailer style. By looking at the entire resulting document, people will be able to conclude accordingly.

For those builders who sell trailers, this may be looked upon as a type of advertisement. People looking for a very light trailer may look at this document and contact you to ask how you were able to build it so light. That just might be your lead into selling them a trailer. ...One never knows.

Thanks for your input. :D

Sharon,
    From what you're saying, it seems to me that by distinguishing between wood & foam board structure (what holds it up & together) you've created a chart that is a three part equation. The size & type of structure helping to reference the weight.
    As to tradition, small travel trailers have long been built, and still are, using metal structure: Modernistic, Tourette, Airstream, Five Wide Club, Dandan (Roswell), MeelisV. Current builders: EMiller, SST1100, Dean-Petley and most cargo trailers for example. Refering to any of these trailers as being built with plywood just isn't right.
    And let's not forget molded fiberglass & plastic trailers.
    How about typing in a question mark if you don't know? Someone like Gage is bound to fill you in. :lol:
    You have a good chart started & I appreciate that you've taken on this on-going project. Thank you, Sharon.
    :peace: Fred
    p.s. edited first post with added pictures per request.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion