Let me see what you guys got!!!!!!!!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:01 pm

Those all got me to thinking about what I want in mine. Im going to build the Weekender and make it 5 feet as opposed to 4. The otehr option is to build a tailgte box as i like to call it
5'10'5 Im 6'5 so the added room will be great. I really dont need a stove as I will be hooking up a propane tank to the side of the trailer
Im thinking 5'10'5 , how much ya think that will weight? I mgoing to put it on a husky 5'10 trailer. If it weighs to much for my jetta Ill jsut use my dakota to tow it. Any ideas on how much itll weigh with out all the goodies inside??????
The basic desgin is going to be a rectangle, the sleeping/cabin area is going to be 5'7 foot
the galley in the back will be 3 by 5 by 5. this is where i will house the co2 for hte keg, the 20 inch tv nad all teh electrical work propane tank nad what ever else i can get in there
what ya think?
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:58 pm

Sounds good to me, party time! Sounds like a cool fun design. Havew fun and good luck, bye!
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:17 pm

With everything you want I would guess the unit will weigh about 1500 and give you a tongue weight of about 120 to 150 pounds. The Jetta will really be dragging it's ass with that. I called volkswagen, they do not reccomend towing but if you do the trailer should be under 1000lbs and have a tongue weight of no more than 85lbs.
You should really look at the Ebay link I posted. That would be perfect for you and it is within your budget.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:32 pm

I did look at it but its not exactly what I want. I guess I'll just pull it with my dakota, no big deal just a little more money on gas. Im not gonna start building until september so ill be lookign all around, hell i may change my mind
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:50 pm

Shrug53 wrote:With everything you want I would guess the unit will weigh about 1500 and give you a tongue weight of about 120 to 150 pounds. The Jetta will really be dragging it's ass with that. I called volkswagen, they do not reccomend towing but if you do the trailer should be under 1000lbs and have a tongue weight of no more than 85lbs.
You should really look at the Ebay link I posted. That would be perfect for you and it is within your budget.

You can tow this with the Jetta... :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:40 pm

Dosnt that tear run around 9 grand? Called the Cadilac of tears. I like the 2 front windows, nice.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:23 pm

The tear doesnt do what I want, its a tailgating machine that im looking to create, also the sleeping space in the tear doesnt lend it self to a 6'5 240 lb ex linebacker sleeping in it with his 5'11 volleyball palying wife. Im not a contortionist.
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:20 pm

It's hard to imagine exactly how to do what you have in mind but think about the Kampmaster/Wild Goose size and idea.

I think, although I am not an engineer, that you could fold out a wide side from say the top of the wheelwell up (like a concession trailer at a Scout event at Home Depot) for your electronics and run the outside tap and the side-mount bbq grill under a big side awning.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:24 pm

yessssssssss
thats exactly what im talking about :D
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:31 am

This may interest you. It is from my "How to Build Trailers" book.

Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:58 am

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote:yessssssssss
thats exactly what im talking about :D

So build something like this, and call it a tailgating machine!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:27 am

Shrug I am guessing that pic you are showing comes from an airstream design. Did you know that all of the first airstreams where different because they where built in his back yard! He started to make them for friends and family and after the 70's they all started to look alike and folow the same floor plans. Sad thing is I cant remeber the origanal builders name! O well, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:01 pm

tdthinker wrote:Sad thing is I cant remeber the origanal builders name!

Wally Byam, and he was well past the back-yard stage and into full production by the end of the '40s. All that really changed with Airstreams in the '70s was they added a gray water tank but didn't reinforce the frame to allow for the added weight, so a lot of early '70s Airstreams have problems with sagging frames. "Vintage" doesn't always mean "good."

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:09 pm

tdthinker wrote:Shrug I am guessing that pic you are showing comes from an airstream design. Did you know that all of the first airstreams where different because they where built in his back yard! He started to make them for friends and family and after the 70's they all started to look alike and folow the same floor plans. Sad thing is I cant remeber the origanal builders name! O well, bye

No it is not an airstream. That is one of the designs in my "How to Build Trailers" book from Modern Mechanix.
Shrug53
500 Club

Re design

Postby Laredo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:15 pm

Shrug, does the company still sell the books, or could you post an ISBN number so I could ask for it at the library?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion