"TrailTop" modular trailer building components

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: "TrailTop" modular trailer building components

Postby djb_rh » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:13 pm

jscherb wrote:I finished sewing the first side panel. Here's an inside view showing where it snaps to the hard cover. I'll put a window in it after the other side panel and the end panel are complete - my goal is to get the complete shell done first, then add the windows.

Next I'll make the other side, it's a mirror image of this one, so this one will serve as the pattern for it.

So I assume the water-proofness in the joint between the sidewall and the top is just in how much the top overlaps. I get attaching the side with the snaps, but what about a tighter seal to make sure bugs can't get in? Seems like there would be a tiny gap there (with potential for bigger sags if you don't get those snaps positioned just right). Any thought of adding velcro under there, too? I'd keep the snaps for sure, but it seems like a velcro strip might tighten it up. Stick-on for the edge of the top, and sewn on for the soft sidewall. Might take enough load off that the snaps are less prone to ripping out as well.

Thoughts?

Also, enjoy Alaska! We're planning an Alaskan cruise for 2015 now, I think. We're not "cruise people", but with two kids and limited vacation time because of their sports and such, we feel like that's the best way to get a good flavor. Then I hope to head back in an expedition vehicle of some type once the kids are out of the house. It's my last state to set foot in...been stuck at 49 for quite a while. *grumble*

--Donnie
djb_rh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jscherb » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:35 pm

djb_rh wrote:So I assume the water-proofness in the joint between the sidewall and the top is just in how much the top overlaps. I get attaching the side with the snaps, but what about a tighter seal to make sure bugs can't get in? Seems like there would be a tiny gap there (with potential for bigger sags if you don't get those snaps positioned just right). Any thought of adding velcro under there, too? I'd keep the snaps for sure, but it seems like a velcro strip might tighten it up. Stick-on for the edge of the top, and sewn on for the soft sidewall. Might take enough load off that the snaps are less prone to ripping out as well.

Thoughts?

It's a pretty tight seal already but if you would like to make it tighter here's a video from Sailrite on the subject of weatherstripping canvas parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpi5LIwR1ws

There's no worry about the snaps ripping out, if you'll recall the test piece below, I sewed a 1"-wide strip of webbing inside the top seam of the panel (the seam closest to the roll of webbing on the table). The snaps go through three layers of fabric plus the webbing, it's a very strong base for the snaps. In addition, rather than punching the hole in the fabric and webbing for the snap to go through, I melted the hole through with a soldering iron - since the fabric and the webbing is synthetic (polyester), it melts rather than burns and the melted material hardens around the hole which serves to reinforce the hole - there's no way the hole will enlarge under stress, there's a solid ring of melted material linging the hole, and also bonding the outside fabric to the webbing.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:42 am

Are you going to be able to sleep in there with "Follow the warranty and installation instru..." written upside-down and with the end missing? :frightened:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby jscherb » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:31 am

angib wrote:Are you going to be able to sleep in there with "Follow the warranty and installation instru..." written upside-down and with the end missing? :frightened:

I don't ever plan to sleep in this, I'm just building it as a proof-of-concept for the TrailTop parts system. But if I were to finish it off for actual use, both the inside and outside of the hard cover would be painted.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:47 am

Here's a tip for people who are sewing their own projects for their campers... if you sew, you're probably familiar with the concept of "basting" - basting is typically long, easily removable stitches sewn by hand to temporarily keep a seam in place while you do the final sewing on a machine. Or sometimes seams are pinned, with the pins being removed as the seam progresses through the sewing machine. By far the best method I've found for temporarily holding seams together for sewing is called basting tape, basically a double-sided tape that holds the fabric together before sewing. It can be sewn through, and is left inside the final seam permanently. It also improves the waterproofing of a seam.

I've used basting tape for all the seams and hems on this project so far. It makes sewing panels like this a lot faster, and greatly improves the accuracy of the sewing.

Here are some videos video from Sailrite about basting tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDlYq6Hj0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_0uj5GkBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvIr1mNYiE
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I managed to get a little more sewing time in today, so I was able to get the end panel mostly done. I haven't done the zippers between the end panel and the side panels yet, but the main structure of the end panel is complete. You can see the untrimmed edges of the end panel overlapping the sides, they'll be trimmed and hemmed when the zippers get sewn in.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm back from my Alaska trip, so I can get back to the sewing project. Today I finished up the seam between the end panel and one of the side panels.

The panels are secured with a zipper, and a flap with velcro ensures there will be no leaks.

Tomorrow I plan to get the other side done, and then I can start on the door and windows.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Today I finished sewing the main shell of the tilt-up.

Next I'll sew the rear door, which will consist of a roll-up solid outer panel and a roll-up screen inner panel. And after that's in place I'll sew the side window assemblies, cut holes for them and sew them in place.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 pm

It is looking quite good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:44 pm

KCStudly wrote:It is looking quite good. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much. Still a bunch of sewing to do to get the door and window panels in place, but I'm very pleased with how the design is working out, and even more pleased that my new sewing skills are doing justice to the design.

:)
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:40 am

I've been asked how the top closes and opens with the pop-up panels in place, so I made two quick videos. Step 1 is to unsnap the sides from the top forward of the gas strut. Once that's unsnapped, pull the retainer strip along the bottom of the panels out from the retainer. Once that's done, gather the panels in a bit so they don't get caught between the top and the tub, and close the top.

In this video, I've already unsnapped/unretained the far side panel to keep the video short and the file size small.

Putting it back up is simple, just open the lid, snap the front portion of the panels to the top, and slide the retainer in place.

The use of the factory Jeep soft top retainers on top of the tub makes this a very easy and quick operation.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 pm

I've got the rear door of the tilt-up basically done. The panel is taped to the floor of my sewing room to ensure the dimensions of the opening are exactly the same as they are when the panel is on the trailer. Tomorrow I'll make up the zip-up inner screen and sew it into the doorway.

jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby jscherb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Got the rear door panels in place today. First photo shows the outer panel zipped down:

Next the outer panel is rolled up, and the screen panel is down:

And in this one the screen is also rolled up and the tailgate is down for entry.

Both the outer panel and the screen panel have double-pull zippers so they can be zipped from inside and outside.

Next I'll put windows in the sides.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:22 am

Currently on page 20, posting to subscribe and not loose this invaluable thread.

I have seen the thought of using Lexan for side panels. A thought occurred to me that some sign shops produce graphics for windows in SUV's that are fairly close to one way transparency. Putting this type of graphics on the sides, front and even the top would make for a lot of light inside the trailer, but still afford privacy.

Apologies if this has been covered in posts I have not yet read.

WoodSmith
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:55 am

WoodSmith wrote:Currently on page 20, posting to subscribe and not loose this invaluable thread.

I have seen the thought of using Lexan for side panels. A thought occurred to me that some sign shops produce graphics for windows in SUV's that are fairly close to one way transparency. Putting this type of graphics on the sides, front and even the top would make for a lot of light inside the trailer, but still afford privacy.

Apologies if this has been covered in posts I have not yet read.

WoodSmith

That's a cool idea.
jscherb
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion