A garage-able standup

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:26 am

I love the trailer. I am wondering about the math on the garageable height. Says it is 6'-2" inside and 6'-10" outside. If you figure that you have a 2" thickness of ceiling and 2" thinkness of support below the drop down floor, what does that leave for ground clearance? 4 or 5 inches? How is that enough? Curious because I love it.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 am

I believe Trailerworks - not sure if they're still in business - used 1x2s laid "flat" (3/4" thickness) for spars, 1/4" birch plywood for the interior ceiling finish and aluminum applied directly to the spars for exterior (no outer plywood) for their roof construction. This is a little more than 1" thick. Their drop floor was constructed from heavy gauge sheet metal. Even with stiffeners and vinyl flooring, that assembly wouldn't be more than 1" thick. This would leave 6"+ ground clearance at the drop floor and 10"-12" everywhere else which is plenty of clearance if you don't go offroad.

My teardrop has 12" clearance to the bottom of the frame rails but only 10" clearance at the axle and at the bottom of the rear stabilizers. We've never "bottomed out" where we camp.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 am

aggie79 wrote:I believe Trailerworks - not sure if they're still in business - used 1x2s laid "flat" (3/4" thickness) for spars, 1/4" birch plywood for the interior ceiling finish and aluminum applied directly to the spars for exterior (no outer plywood) for their roof construction. This is a little more than 1" thick. Their drop floor was constructed from heavy gauge sheet metal. Even with stiffeners and vinyl flooring, that assembly wouldn't be more than 1" thick. This would leave 6"+ ground clearance at the drop floor and 10"-12" everywhere else which is plenty of clearance if you don't go offroad.

My teardrop has 12" clearance to the bottom of the frame rails but only 10" clearance at the axle and at the bottom of the rear stabilizers. We've never "bottomed out" where we camp.
That would be super thin for the roof but doable but the floor would require crossmembers underneath sheet metal and I would suspect one would have an underlayment of some sort between the "frying pan" sheet metal floor and the vinyl flooring. I know I am splitting hairs but in a tiny trailer what else is there to do but split hairs. :lol:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaPa Smurf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:34 pm

jjjonz wrote:Nice....I emailed them and got no response.

I did too.... :cry:
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Postby LoriCz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:30 pm

I found them on trailerworks.BIZ, not "com" - perhaps the emails did not arrive? Pretty cool stuff!
LoriCz
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaPa Smurf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I'll drive over and look at it.... :shock:
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Re: A garage-able standup

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

TrailerWorks wrote:Hey Folks,

Been away from the forum for a time. Thought I'd post up a few pics of my new toy. Really more of the wife's toy - she's a big fan of her own bath. It is 8' long x 6'-4" wide (cabin), 6'-2" standing height inside, 6'-10" exterior height, full galley, bath with shower, dinette that drops to a double bed. 1180 lbs. with full fresh/black tanks. The pan floor frame was a challenge!

Fun to build. Have not used it yet. Stay tuned.

:thumbsup: I am a huge fan of your retro trailers. The little 8 & 10 footers are works of art...
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby Kermit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 pm

No trailerworks. Not .biz or .com or anything I can find. Are they gone away or just gone from the web? Anyone know? I'd think there would be a market for this one--all the way from plans to turnkey!

Me, I want the plans. And would pay well! I want this more than any boat I've built, and Ford knows I've paid for some of those!!!
Kermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby droid_ca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 pm

I like this trailer as well.
What is the profile? sure be nice to have the dimensions for it
Anyone want to take a guess
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 pm

This brings up an interesting question I’ve been wanting to ask…

Equipped with only a photograph, can anyone draw and dimension a profile, just by using a known measurement, such as a 14â€
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby Kermit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm

You absolutely can. The wheel is a good place to start. Use dividers set to that dimension, and then walk that off to see how it compares to the other known exterior dimensions. The width won't help muchh in this case, but the 8' length and the 6' 10" height should. With some graph paper and some fiddling around you should be able to come close to a profile. Fudge it til it looks right to your eye and go from there. I'll wager the lines are sections of circles and elipses.
Kermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc toys » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:13 pm

i would like to build this one myself like the layout
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

This is the design that I'd like to do for my first build. :thumbsup:
is there anyone amoung us that has better computer skills then my self that could draft or plot out a plan :worship: :twisted:
I'd be very interested in what can be done :applause: :applause:

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm

[quote]This brings up an interesting question I’ve been wanting to ask…

Equipped with only a photograph, can anyone draw and dimension a profile, just by using a known measurement, such as a 14â€
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm

the closest that I could find I remebered that I had tthis one hope it helpsImage

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion