It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:02 pm

So where are we at on this design? Which style should I pursue for the Hurricane Escape Trailer aka a bigger, more comfortable standy?

Choice A?

Choice B?

Choice C?

Choice D?

Choice E?

Choice F?
Just my 2 cents I would think a T@B clone with a drop floor would work..Jim

Your thoughts? Which design do I pursue?????

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:36 pm

I don't see a window shaker location in any of these views!
That may help to narrow down a design concept.

The footprint would make a difference in which a 5x10 is what most of us head for. Disign one on this footprint , queen bed (ie... table and seat area), john locker, air, rear galley and door behind the wheel.

I like (A) but it is long. I like the slide idea in (B) only, maybe more like Andrews concept. (D) is almost to the top of my list but where would you install air. (E) would have to be 7' wide which is too much and no place to install air. If your going to build (F), we already have T@B clones on this site.

I like (C) best with it's back door and interior set up but again, where would you install the air? It is 6" shorter then (A) but it still is 11'9".

Are you headed for a bigger Benroy, a T@B clone or a scotty?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:43 pm

...tough choice....I like all for different reasons...I think the Tab clone may be the best adaptation of a TD inspired standy...I also think A and may C(with an expanded(tighter?) front, top elipse)
madjack 8)

p.s. I would also be remiss, if I didn't put a vote in for the Widget/Winter Warrior as well.......MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:49 pm

The window shaker, and the profiles and all the other features will be further developed, once we have a starting point.

MJ, thanks for your vote for the WW, but in the interest of keeping it really simple, I think we'll stick with a teardrop style hatch.

All the designs have a hatch, since it was made very clear, very early on, that even with a standy, people want a hatch.

So the real question is, do you want the door in front of the wheel, or behind the wheel?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:54 pm

I like "F" although it would need to be a TAD longer for me......

Hey, you can call it a TAD instead of TAB... :D
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby apratt » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:06 pm

My pick would be A, but I also like C if it had the counter going from the bathroom to the other wall (basically a reverse floor plan of A). That way have all around use you can cook in or out. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby del » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:12 pm

I like the looks of C the best, A second best. But I think F would be the one I would build, with the requirements for the proposed use. A balance between looks and usability.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Geron » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:24 pm

A just "feels" comfortable to me. I have no Idea what that means.

C just kinda leaves me slightly disoriented. Don't know what that means either. I guess with the door located in the back I couldn't figure out if I were coming or going

I suppose I'm voting for A?

Yet, the slide out galley absolutely fascinates me. 300 lb drawer slides would make it work and such an effective use of "dead" space. In our Aliner you had to take up the cushions, seats, etc. to access storage space. That's a royal pain.

g

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:26 pm

Two votes for A , two votes for C and two votes for F.
How about the rest of you guys...?

Okay, to make it easy, I made a poll out of it...

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 493#220493

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SaGR » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:39 pm

C for me with A in a *close* second.
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby tonyj » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:39 pm

My choice would be A, then D. I like the interior layout of A.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 am

None of the above ... Really think space utilization could be better with a more"boxy" design in the rear , and again with that hatch business, the most complicated part of the build , and the hinge thing .... I dunno'... :roll: why do you guys have such an aversion to a rear door... too much like a U-Haul ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:46 am

GPW wrote:None of the above ... Really think space utilization could be better with a more"boxy" design in the rear , and again with that hatch business, the most complicated part of the build , and the hinge thing .... I dunno'... :roll: why do you guys have such an aversion to a rear door... too much like a U-Haul ???

I think it's an Uber thing :lol: :lol:

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

My 2 cents

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:11 am

Is the goal to make it an easier build? If thts the case tehn stay away from teh hatch, the uhaul door idea seems easier. Part of the reason im avoidign a true tear is simply because Ill destory/hack up the hatch
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Tear Les » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am

GPW wrote:None of the above ... Really think space utilization could be better with a more"boxy" design in the rear , and again with that hatch business, the most complicated part of the build , and the hinge thing .... I dunno'... :roll: why do you guys have such an aversion to a rear door... too much like a U-Haul ???

Even the automakers offer swing doors and lift hatches on the same model; they've already figured out there's no "one" answer! :lol: It's not hard to come up with good arguments either way.

FWIW...I like the hatch. I live where it rains (a lot) and it's nice to have the protection the lifted hatch offers for those times when setting up another contraption like a canopy isn't convenient. Even in sunny areas I could see stopping in a rest area for lunch or a snack and having instant shade from the open hatch.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion