Ross's Runlite

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ross's Runlite

Postby robfisher » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:46 pm

Seems like it might be time for a runlite update. Ross, I love what you are doing. Very intimidated by your craftsmanship. I've seen none better anywhere.

What are your intentions with the runlite? You going to keep it? Or maybe will we see it at auction someday? Hey! I can hope can't I?

Rob
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chezrad » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:00 am

I would just like to get some details as to how the fabric is applied. I love the looks of it! Great job! :thumbsup:
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 am

I saw Ross' Runlite at the North/South Gathering. Wow! the project is a beauty! The sides are wood, painted gunmetal blue, the top is padded vinyl.
A really pretty T/D! Here's the best shots I have! (I really should do a better job of doncumenting events!)
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:57 pm

wicked cool a/c setup -- but I think I'd lift it off the ground in case of heavy dew, etc.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:32 am

Rob,
I'll let Ross know that you asked about him and to post some pictures. He is not online much due to his work schedule. Great seeing you and Don and company at Little Talbot last Feb :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:27 am

Looks like it would take Ross like, three days to set up his campsite.... :(

Wasn't hte tear supposed to make camping easier?? :roll: :lol: :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby robfisher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks Woody. And we had a lot of fun too. Just sorry our time was so short.

John, It's amazing what you can set up in about 20 minutes after you've done it a few times. I've had campground hosts marvel at our campsite 15 minutes after pulling in.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Melvin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:22 pm

Very nice example, I'm looking forward to more pictures.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Ross Wade » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks for all of the kind words. Since the RunLite is 5' wide, Carla says we are keeping it. We camp with our 3 dogs ane they sleep in the tear with us. So for now, we have 2 teardrops and will keep both of them. We also, from time to time, have family members camp with us, so will hook up both tears and away we go :twisted:

It does make you wonder why we bring soooooo much stuff with us, when teardrop life was supposed to be easier :? :lol: As Rob stated, after you have set up camp several times, everyone is amazed at how quick it goes up. We do bring more shtuff with us when we are attending TearJerker gatherings.

This was the first time with the AC unit. It did what we wanted it to do. Most of the time we can deal with the heat, but we knew that the North meets South rally was going to be way too hot.

Here is one of my favorite pictures:

Here is a link to the rest of the album: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tearjerke ... 0b&.src=ph

As for the fabric top: that was a MAJOR learning experience. As if this entire project wasn't... :roll: After the all of the 1/4" X 3/4" batten strips were installed, I attached a layer of fabric (this is what you will see from the inside of the camper), then applied a 1" layer of quilters batting and then I used Tonneau fabric. I needed fabric that was a minimum of 68" in width and one solid piece. I found it in an Ebay store. I also used Stainless Steel staples to attach the fabric to the body of the camper. I guess the worst and most painfull part fo this, was streaching the fabric to remove all of the wrinkles. Once everything was taught, I trimmed the fabric and attached a piece of Hideum welting, which I got from a Model A restoration company.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby robfisher » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:24 pm

Thanks, Ross. Well, OK then...Wanna build a third trailer? It's just so cool but way out of my wood working skills. I do great with metal but me and wood is a different story. I think I took a "D" in high school wood shop. My mortise never did quite match up to my tenon. Or was that my dado? Oh I don't know what it was.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:15 pm

:applause: Wow this site never ceases to amaze me. Ross you have absolutely raised the bar on builds, again wow a fine looking Tear :applause:
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:27 pm

Thank Ya, Thank Ya, Thank Ya. I really did enjoy building the RunLite. It was a real challenge working with the original drawings from 1938. But then again, I love a good challenge.

I wish I had metal working skills. I am wanting to build another teardrop. However it will be cover in power coated metal of some sort. I am in the middle of a teardrop build for a client, but as soon as I can get it finished....I'll start the next one. It will make a great winter project.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby M. Olsen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 am

Ross I'm stunned! That trailer is a wooden, vinyl covered work of art. Great job!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID :^)
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby srfrcrux » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:47 pm

I know Ross that this is an older post, but I was curious....How you like the trailer modifications that you made the the HFT trailer? The 5' side of life seems appealing to me?

Did you do sandwhich style construction on the floor? Any problems with water/condensation?

Also, any problems with the floor framing, the extensions. being to weak?

Curious. I really like this idea for added space...Would your recommend it?
Thank you
:thumbsup:
I've been looking over the pics and would love to do this for my trailer (extend the sides as you have)...:)
Any info would be appreaciative :beautiful:
Adopt a Drop or be board to tears!!!!
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Postby angib » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:46 am

Ross, have you measured the hitch weight? It looks like it should be at least 30% of the trailer weight.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion