Let The Games Begin!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby WarPony » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:30 pm

SteveH, I think you will have problems with the welded angle iron.... maybe. If you are going to weld the entire length of the sections, you'll probably warp and twist the two sections. I would think it is easier to cut an 8-foot section of 2" tubing in half, weld it on and move on to the next project. I wouldn't think the cost between the two would be that much more.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:43 pm

Dean, the first frame I made was steel that I welded myself..I didn't do a good job and it's not quite square, thats why I scrapped it and started over with the idea of a all wood frame..WELLLLLLLL..that didn't work out either, so I tore the frame apart, leaving the tear shape intact and dropped it on the steel frame from #1, after i squared the wheels with the tongue, SOOOOOOOOO, now I'm working on teardrop 2.5.. :D
That the pics i have in my photo album here on Mikes forum.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:17 pm

Hey Jim,
Well maybe I'm not loosing my marbles afterall? (I doubt it)

Postby Scooter » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:23 pm

SteveH,
My outside width will be 48 inches and I'll be ordering the axle from the same place you did, so let me know how your 60 turns out and I'll keep it in mind when ordering mine. If you think about it, send me a private message in case I miss the thread post.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby David Grason » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:49 pm

If the angle iron is 1/4 inch thick, it's got more than enough strength for this application just as angle iron. There's absolutely no reason to double it. WarPony is right. If you try to weld full lengths, you're going to warp it. You would have to have a jig and enough clamps to hold each peice of metal the full lenth during the welding process and that's a petty tall order. I've welded trailers at times when I welded a relatively short section and I got some warpage. Don't underestimate just how quickly the metal's heating up will cause it to change shape.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Scooter,

I'll let you know how it looks when I get it. I looked at the axels that Northern Tools has listed also, but they are not adjustable in ride height which I think is a good idea.

WarPony,

Yes, I think you are right in that it will warp if I get it too hot. I think I will be able to weld a short section at a time, letting it cool in between and pull it off. If not, I've waisted about $27 worth of steel.

There is another reason I want to use angle instead of square tubing. Since the Torqflex is a bolt on unit, I want to drill holes in the bottom angle and then weld in bolts from the inside before I weld the two angles together. If I use tubing, the only thing I can figure out would be to drill a large hole on the other side, large enough to get a socket thru, and then if you ever had to remove the axel for whatever reason, you would have to remove the body from the frame to get at the bolt head. Also, that would weaken the tubing as well as introduce a water entrance point.

I guess we'll see.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SteveH » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:17 pm

The axel came today...looks like the sparks will be flying this weekend!

Got the steel yesterday and all cut to the appropiate lengths. I did, however, come up with a better idea on how to mount the axel. Rather than welding studs protruding from the bottom of the frame, which necesitates a fixed axel location, I'm going to drill holes in several spots and weld nuts on the inside before welding the angles together. By doing it that way, I will be able to move the axel as necessary to get the amount of tongue weight I want.

That one came to me in my sleep last night! Weird, huh? :?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:36 pm

SteveH wrote:By doing it that way, I will be able to move the axel as necessary to get the amount of tongue weight I want.

Excellent thinking, that man! A really good idea.

Andrew

PS Don't forget to watch the fender-door clearance, so the axle can be moved. And you'll need to put in fender mounts that can be moved.

PPS Why doesn't this board have a spillchucker, as I seem to make mani spilling moose ticks hear?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Andrew,

You really think we need a spell checker?

This looks weird. Believe it or not, but you can read it. Try it:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at

Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a

wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be

in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed

it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed

ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? And yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:12 pm

Yeah but words like "grate" used in place of "great" wouldn't be fixed by the spell checker.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:40 pm

Nore will it fix pour punctuation! T. Dillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Larry Messaros » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:02 am

angib wrote:PPS Why doesn't this board have a spillchucker, as I seem to make mani spilling moose ticks hear?

Ok Andrew, I know that you live on the other side of the pond, but everyone knows that moose ticks can't hear! :lol:
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:07 pm

OK boys and girls. I think we're ruining Steve's thread here. And I am at fault too.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Steve on the phone Thursday. Since he's in San Antonio too, I can live vicariously through him until I can make the time to start my tear. From a welder's viewpoint (mine) it sounds like he's got it under control with the frame. He's overkill minded with a more than adequate tow vehicle. And anyway, when working with steel you can't really screw anything up that you can't fix and starting over is pretty cheap.

San Antonio winter (rain and 70) set in this weekend. Maybe it won't hold him back too much.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:37 pm

D. Tillery wrote:San Antonio winter (rain and 70) set in this weekend.

It rains in Texas????? :^o :^o

Is nothing that Hollywood taught me sacred?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

angle

Postby McTeardrops » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Steve

I just welded a short section of angle to the tube for my axle mount. Made the mount about twelve-inches overlength to allow adjustment from calculated axle location

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/ ... mer4-1.jpg
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion