Let The Games Begin!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby SteveH » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Laredo,

Sorry I'm so late to respond. The varnish is fixed.

The progress has be sloooooow because of the weather, but was able to get the aluminum on the sides yesterday. Stuffed a window in place just so I could see in in the profile.

I bought the ONLY aluminum available in San Antonio that was 5' wide, and it is .050"....way to thick. It's hard to work with.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:35 am

Steve,
the aluminum looks great. sorry I have not been on the site much but work has got me running ragged. :? I am glad to hear you solved the varnish problem. What did you end up doing to fix it?
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:12 am

Steve,

Thanks. It's just a start right now. I'm waiting on the aluminum moulding to do the top and hatch.

To fix the varnish I learned that if it was a second or third coat, it could be sanded off. If it was the first coat that was cloudy, it is virtually impossible to sand it all off. It's still not perfect, but what helps it is to wash it with a rag soaked in thinner followed quickly by a fresh coat of good varnish. The whole varnish problem was caused by not stirring the semi-gloss frequently enough.

"work has got me running ragged"

That's a good thing. I know....I've been unemployed in the past.

How's your teardrop coming?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:25 am

:applause: Very nice SteveH.

Enjoying the warm weather these last few days? I'm looking forward to seeing your camper.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:43 am

SteveH wrote:Steve,

Thanks. It's just a start right now. I'm waiting on the aluminum moulding to do the top and hatch.

To fix the varnish I learned that if it was a second or third coat, it could be sanded off. If it was the first coat that was cloudy, it is virtually impossible to sand it all off. It's still not perfect, but what helps it is to wash it with a rag soaked in thinner followed quickly by a fresh coat of good varnish. The whole varnish problem was caused by not stirring the semi-gloss frequently enough.

"work has got me running ragged"

That's a good thing. I know....I've been unemployed in the past.

How's your teardrop coming?

Yes I am glad to be busy at work that is a good thing.

If we would just get a few nice weekends I would get something done. Sunday was really great but I had no time to work on the tear. :thumbdown:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:20 pm

Steve W.

Thanks, and yes, the weather has been great. I was fortunate Sunday for the weather and the fact that I was able to recruit a buddy to help with the aluminum.

Now, if I can just get the stupid door to fit and work right. :( It's fighting me but I'm determined!
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:53 pm

steveH,
thanks. glad the varnish was not insurmountable. i've been running ragged looking for a job (got laid off 2 weeks ago yesterday). know anybody who needs a good writer/copy editor?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:23 pm

know anybody who needs a good writer/copy editor?

Laredo,

No but I wish you luck. Know anybody who needs a microwave transmission engineer?
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:40 pm

Uh, maybe -- check with the DPS via the WorkinTexas website. They're doing some satellite com system upgrades.

My husband is a network systems administrator for the Texas Tech health sciences center. He's looking, too. Thats how I heard about the DPS thing.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion