It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Kitchens

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:17 am

I too like ht idea of having a kitchen outside without hte hatch, ok im lying i like it because im afraid of the hatch, hahhah. How about rigging a propan hook up to the side of the trailer and just use a table like on the puffin to set the grill on. That frees up a ton of space inside. Inside you could do the bathroom whatever size you wanted.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:43 am

I had a brainstorm this morning (maybe a brain fart??) but I thought I'd throw this out there anyway because some seem to want an outside galley (my choice too).
This is what I was thinking and I don't think it would be difficult to pull off.

Seems to me it would save you space because you would be using hard to get to space under the bed anyway. The upper cabinets could be shallow for can goods and other foodstuffs, at 10" you could get quite a bit in there without taking a lot of space from inside the trailer.
With cabinets in the galley pull out for all you larger stuff, pots and pans and such I think this would get you as much if not more room than is in a tradition tear galley.
Using this it opens up the whole front of the trailer for a bath and small counter top or bath and dinette eliminating the need for a set up take down deal.
Also the rear trailer wall becomes an awning when opened to pull out the galley, giving you 5-6' of cover which could have side curtains made for it if you wanted. It would be fairly easy to build as it's nearly all flat and probably could be flat depending on the lower trailer profile.
It needs a little refinement to work out the details.
It was a quick drawing but I think it could work very easily.
I hope this makes sense to someone besides me.
By the way, if ya just think it's a $hitty idea that's fine too, it was just an idea after all.
8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby apratt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:53 am

Rich, I like your idea. Yes you are using an area that is hard to get to inside the trailer, so having a slideout galley is a wonderfull idea. I was also thinking of an idea where the stove and the sink was one unit that you could have inside the trailer or take out to the back of the trailer galley area and have a quick connect for the propane and water. I saw a trailer (forgot the brand) had the option of moving the stove/sink combo in or out of the trailer.

The whole stove/sink combo was like 32" wide, 24" deep and 12" high.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby SaGR » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:58 am

Brilliant solution Rich!
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:05 pm

Rich, it's been done before and photos were shown on this forum - the one difference being that I think the galley slid out of one side of the trailer and not out of the back.

But it's not in the Hall of Fame, so: who can remember what it was called, who built it, how to search for it?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby apratt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:19 pm

angib wrote:Rich, it's been done before and photos were shown on this forum - the one difference being that I think the galley slid out of one side of the trailer and not out of the back.

But it's not in the Hall of Fame, so: who can remember what it was called, who built it, how to search for it?

Andrew

Andrew are you thinking of Zyamffier (Jim Perersen). If I remember right he had a slide out galley. He doesn't have any pictures in his album any more.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:16 pm

I found it - it's the 'Lemon Drop' by BobR - but it was only a design and hasn't been built as far as I know.

Here is the Lemon Drop pdf.

One thing to note is that the dinette and its bit of floor has to be raised up so that the dinette seats are high enough for the galley to slide under them - your back will not thank you for a galley that's only 24" above the ground!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Geron » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Now I'm liking the Lemon Drop.

I like the 10 ft length

Would like to take 6" off the width. I'm less that 6' and can sleep in 72".

I don't need 6'3" headroom so that could drop by 3"

Now if we could raise the slide out galley 6" to at least 30" it might just work.
I like the slide out galley idea.

One could save space by making the bath and shower a bath/sitdown shower combo.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:22 pm

I've found that I did a revised version of the Lemon Drop incorporating some changes and mods: Lemon Drop 2 pdf.

This version is 78" wide external (74" internal) and 93.5" high external (74" internal). The top of the galley unit is 41.5" above the ground - which is an odd number, but is around what you need to get a stove on top of the worktop.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Geron » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:02 pm

angib wrote:I've found that I did a revised version of the Lemon Drop incorporating some changes and mods: Lemon Drop 2 pdf.

This version is 78" wide external (74" internal) and 93.5" high external (74" internal). The top of the galley unit is 41.5" above the ground - which is an odd number, but is around what you need to get a stove on top of the worktop.

Andrew

Saved a copy of this one!

The axle I have is a 3000 lb axle with 72" between spring mount centers.

I have 76" inside the brake flange mounts. Keeping the trailer body inside the brake flange mounts this would give me 72" inside with 2" thick walls. This could possibly keep the wheels outside the trailer body (no wheel wells) depending on the wheel offset

Once built the springs could be adjusted to the weight of the trailer

Geez. Gotta stop. Wife wants to go to Papa's Pizza. Who needs to eat when you can talk TD.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby milo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:55 pm

Great idea's. I just returned from a week in a 5x9 TTT. Wife says it's time for more space. I have a couple of HF trailers I picked up at a salvage store that I want to put together and make a double axle 6' x 12' or 14' trailer from. Not sure if it would work, just in the thinking stage (it hurts) now. I am trying to have space for one double bed crosswise and a small couch that will sleep one child. Thinking I will we putting galley at rear of trailer. Anyway, I'm watching this thread with for more of your great ideas.
milo
always B dreamin'

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:17 am

I've got a question .... It has been said here that if your trailer weighs over 2K lbs. then you need brakes... I've been looking around and alot of the boat guys don't have brakes except on the monster boats that look too big to trailer and waaaaaaay over 2K ... Why ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:53 am

GPW wrote:I've got a question .... It has been said here that if your trailer weighs over 2K lbs. then you need brakes... ... Why ???

I know in PA if you are over 3k you have to have brakes.
I think a lot of it comes from the towing specs for a lot of cars.
The smaller the car is the better an idea it is to have brakes on your trailer.
Stopping is a pretty good thing and a lot of the smaller vehicles don't really have enough brake to stop the extra weight of a trailer safely.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Tear Les » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:56 am

GPW wrote:I've got a question .... It has been said here that if your trailer weighs over 2K lbs. then you need brakes... I've been looking around and alot of the boat guys don't have brakes except on the monster boats that look too big to trailer and waaaaaaay over 2K ... Why ???

Since there are 51 different ways to answer this in the U.S. and then there's Canada and beyond it's not possible to give a definitive answer. A very general rule seems to be that brakes are required by law over 3,000 pounds (but this number does vary a lot) and if the towed weight is more than half the weight of the tow vehicle. That's the way it reads in Washington State here but most like to forget (or don't know) that second part exists.

Since I'm in the boat business I can tell you it's a hard sell for brakes since traditionally they've been a bearcat to maintain (that's changing) and an awfully lot of guys and gals tow with full size pickup trucks and they feel they're in good shape. Now that smaller trucks and SUVs are getting to be the norm I have to remind folks of the second requirment so a 3,500 pound tow vehicle pulling a 2,000 pound trailer is required (in this state) to be equipped with brakes.

The nice thing about TD and TT brakes is we're not routinely submerging them under water and have far fewer maintenance issues than the boat haulers. Also, brakes on travel trailers has been the "norm" for lots of years and they're more accepted and expected in the RV world.

With respect to teardrops and TTTs I think the lower number is because a lot of us are towing with smaller vehicles and brakes on the trailer could help a lot. I wouldn't worry about towing a 1500# TD or TTT with my Yukon with no brakes but I'd sure want them if that same trailer is behind my New Beetle diesel.

Probably lots of other things going on but that my take on it.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 pm

Les, you have nailed it down pretty well, the laws vary from state to state and some may have exceptions for boat traielrs...however the auto manufacturers will recommend brakes on any trailer that exceeds 50% of the autos weight...not having them could void the warranty and insurance coverage in these cases.....
madjack 8)

p.s an example...my Pontiac Aztek is rated to tow 3500#s but no more than 2000 without brakes on the trailer......MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion