I'm finally done (mostly)

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I'm finally done (mostly)

Postby Michael Rodriguez » Sat May 08, 2004 1:18 am

I'm finally done with the body. Just have a few odd and ends and we will be ready to do a trial run next weekend. Then it is off to the Spring Fling Gathering here in WA. Let me know what you think.

Hope this image posting thing actually works because I'm not feeling the love when I try to preview it.
Michael Rodriguez
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jiminsav » Sat May 08, 2004 11:24 am

to post image in a yahoo gallery, you need to just post your album addy, not the individual pic, and make sure the album is public.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Michael Rodriguez » Sat May 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Well posting the image with that address wasn't a problem on the other forum. Oh well. Lets try it this way.

teardrop photos
Michael Rodriguez
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat May 08, 2004 6:12 pm

Michael, Very nicely done indeed!! I especially like the running boards! Those tail lights are cool too :thumbup:
Blessings Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Joseph » Sat May 08, 2004 7:44 pm

Hey Michael,

Michael Rodriguez wrote: Let me know what you think.

Good job and very interesting. Never seen a teardrop with a running board before. Any reason for that, or just looks? Anyway, I like it! Very clean, straightforward design.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Jiminsav » Sat May 08, 2004 8:23 pm

yeah...nice trailer Michael..and as for running boards, I am going to incorparate them into my trailer also..mostly as a place to take off my shoes without having to put my feet in the dirt..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby tdhombre » Sat May 08, 2004 11:35 pm

Nice touch with the running boards. What is the basic material used? I mean what did you use to create them - ironing boards, diamond plate, etc. etc.
Inquiring minds would like to know (in order to copy them!)
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Michael Rodriguez » Sun May 09, 2004 4:35 am

Thanks for all of the replys. Gee and I thought the aluminum fenders and bullet lights would be the attention getters not the running boards. The running boards came to be because I needed to deal with the fact that the frame is slightly larger than the trailer itself. My trailer started life as a tent trailer that was given to me. When I initially measured it to see if it would work, I held my end of the tape measure on the outside of the frame but I didn't realize the other guy was holding his end on the inside of the frame. We got a measurement of exactly 48" inches. I thought I was in business. When I tore apart the original trailer down to the frame and got out the tape measure again, the truth came out. I was over by 3/4". I already planned on my trailer sitting on top of the frame instead of over the frame like most of the old ones but I was hoping to be able to put a piece of trim of some sort along the bottom and be done with it. Since I could no longer do that and the frame already had U channel runners running perpendicular to the main frame rails, I took advantage of them and used them as the supports for the running boards. Nice and sturdy and can easily hold all the weight I would ever want to put on them. The running boards are 3/4" material. I painted the bottom and the sides with truck liner paint. Cut some of my left over aluminum with the jigsaw to the same shape as the running boards. I attached the same trim molding I used along the top edge to the sides of the running boards. Then I bolted the running boards to the U channel runners with stainless steel carriage bolts. Man what a long post, did I really type all that? Hope I answered all your questions.
Michael Rodriguez
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chip » Sun May 09, 2004 7:32 am

,,HIGH "5" on ya work,,,nice looking tear,,good to see some out of the box thinking with something different,,amen on the running boards,,,

Chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 09, 2004 6:38 pm

Hi Michael,

Very nice job on the teardrop. Very unique with the running boards. But out in the field you'll probably find them to be very practical! I like your combination too, i.e. woody sides and aluminum roof.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun May 09, 2004 7:45 pm

Job well done. I'm going to attempt to use VW Bug fenders on mine to match the car and your running boards intrigue me. Gonna play with a VW running board type look and see what may work. Thanks for the idea. Like your tail lights but they may have been safer on the side. AL G
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion