Cloudy to Partly Coudy....Varnish?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Cloudy to Partly Coudy....Varnish?

Postby SteveH » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:05 am

Just a question for the group. I've started varnishing the interior of my tear and got to the bottom of the gallon of Minwax Semigloss Spar varnish, and where I used the last part of the varnish, on the floor and a portion of one wall, the varnish clouded up and is very hazy...like looking at a heavy fog.

Was the varnish bad? Did I do something wrong, and if I did, what did I do?

More importantly, other than sanding it all off and starting over, is there any thing I can do to fix it?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AmyH » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:17 am

I have heard that it is good to pour varnish through a filter into a new can, don't know how accurate this is or if it helps with the sediment that tends to accumulate on the bottom of the can. Maybe others on the board have heard this as well and can chime in,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby shil » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:29 pm

You've got to stir the varnish. The 'semi' has settled out of the 'gloss'. At the bottom of the can, you've got opaque.

The trick is in stirring the varnish without adding air bubbles to the mix.
shil
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:43 pm

shil wrote:You've got to stir the varnish. The 'semi' has settled out of the 'gloss'. At the bottom of the can, you've got opaque.

The trick is in stirring the varnish without adding air bubbles to the mix.

Yup, semi-gloss has to be stirred often during usage.

Postby SteveH » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone. I've got a new can and I WILL stir it before I use it.....After I sand all the clowdy stuff off! :thumbdown:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:34 pm

Usually, when I apply varnish, I drag it with a foam brush to get the air bubbles out... I don't like anything to do with a brush, so apply it fast and drag it to get done... no patience here....

Stirring is a pain, but can be done at a moderate rate without too much air. But, stir it I must.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:03 am

You should watch the humidity also. I did the floor in my living room a few years ago, and it was cloudy afterwards. I checked with some smarter guys,pro's. They said that high humidity will cause a cloudy finish also. I didn't do anything about it,just added furniture! Looks good now! :lol: When ever I do a boat, I try to do the finishing in the winter, when the heat is on and the air is drier.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:08 am

Steve,

Yes, I'm aware of what extreem humidity will do, but when I varnished it wasn't too humid...at least it wasn't too humid for South Texas! The humidity seems to get to laquer based materials much worse than others.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

AN UPDATE

Postby SteveH » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:28 am

Just thought I would give everyone an update just in case you ever mess up your semi-gloss or satin varnish by not stiring it frequently enough.

What happens is at the end of the can the varnish gets very thick and it turns cloudy or even white after it dries.

I've figured out after quite a bit of sanding, that it CANNOT be sanded out within reason. Maybe if it were one of the last coates, it could be.

The way you get the cloudy off is to wash it with a rag wet with thinner. Simple enough if you know to do that! :? Been working on this for two days and finally it's off! :dancing
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 pm

Just a heads up to others. Anyone using epoxy or varnish will find that moisture will create an amine blush (cloudy) appearance, Some varnishes are alcohol based and will have a problem with moisture, Interlux has a polyurethane based varnish, I'm not sure on the application. I use automotive clear coat and have no problem with cloudy appearances with clear coat, more expensive, tool, and experience intensive. If you are using varnish, and the weather is cool, don't use a Kerosene heater as they dump a ton of moisture in the air and you can bet on a cloudy finish. I heat the shop with wood so it's no problem, Most cloudy finishes can be blamed on moisture I think. Just my opinion however.I'm sure there are differing ones. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to General Discussion