Porta potty

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Porta potty

Postby Guy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:03 pm

Dear All,

Does anyone have any experience with Thetford or any other porta-pottys?
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:26 pm

go here www.popupexplorer.com and do a search for "Binford".
More info than you can possibly imagine; recommendations on specific models, care, use, dimensions, chemicals ...

popupexplorer also has a lot of info on things like smart use of compact spaces, reviews of a variety of camp gadgets (E-Z-Up awnings, stoves, a/c and electrical goodies ... even a shower installation I bet would work in a tear with a dropped floor -- it fits under a dinette seat!)

:pictures:

too![/u]
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

We have..

Postby anonymous2 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:06 pm

Hello all,

We have a Thetford 555 model porta-potti,left over from tenting days. Has a 4 gallon capacity holding tank. That was plenty for a weekend of # 1 for 2 people. We used it just for late night nature calls. With our teardrop we have a PUP privacy shelter,and will use the potty the same way. We always use camping facilities for shower,and # 2's. The 555 model is higher,and near home toilet heights,so when you sit your knees are not shoulder height. There is a another model that is higher,and higher capacity,but we didn't think we wanted to lug it around. We are satisfied with our for several years now.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby BrianB » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:28 pm

Just in case anyone else has the same duh moment as me, when you goto Laredo's link, click on "Forum" on the far right first before you search.

Tell me how you guys handle and store those things on the trip back. How do you keep that smell from permiating everything it sits near on the way home.

I know a couple who have a pretty good system for doing their business outdoors. When they first get to the campsite (primitive campgrounds without public latrines), they dig a series of holes about a foot apart and a spade-length deep in a semi-private area. Then they setup one of those outhouse tents and bring along one of those toilet seat chairs that you're supposed to put a bag under, but they just set it over the first empty hole. #1's get a little dirt pushed over it and #2's get filled in along with the biodegradable toilet paper.

Best part is, no nasty portapotty to take home.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:43 pm

Guy - We have a portable, folding toilet from Banyan.

http://www.packinpotty.com/packinpotty.html

We didn't want to mess with chemicals and dumping it, so we bought that one. It uses little bags will some kind of magical powder that breaks down the waste. You just zip it up and toss it in the dumpster. This way you don't have to worry about spilling it everywhere when dumping it, or having the thing smell.

We haven't used ours yet, but we take it along for emergencies. Nice piece of mind.

We also bought the little $50 privacy tent with it - we use it all the time to change clothes. That comes in really handy.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:56 pm

When we camp out on Big Shell we use this little gem. One of the guys got it out of his grandmother's garage.
Just dig a hole and cover it up when you are done.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Thanks, Steve

Postby Guy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:57 pm

Dear Steve, Thank you very much for that post. It turns out that the company, Banyan, is about four blocks from my house in LA. I will check them out on Monday.

By the way that privacy sheltrer is similar to the one that http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=77400 has for 20 dollars and it is just fine.
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:53 pm

many parks and campgrounds have strict rules about packing out waste of all kinds.

where is Big Shell, so I can be sure I never go there?
Laredo
Donating Member

Big Shell Changes

Postby Guy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:16 pm

Big Shell used to be a lush tropical garden before Grandma chair started camping there.
Regards,

Guy
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TomS » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:42 pm

Laredo wrote:many parks and campgrounds have strict rules about packing out waste of all kinds.

where is Big Shell, so I can be sure I never go there?

Burying human waste IS an accepted practice in the back country. While it is true that some areas require human waste to be packed out. Those are usually special cases where an area gets a lot of use and/or has a sensitive enviornment.

One of those areas is the popular mountain biking trails aroun Moab Utah. I participated in a guided mountian bike trip there several years ago. Our guides referred to the outfitter's portable toilet as "the groover". The name goes back to the early days of mountain biking in Moab when outfitters used old GI ammo cans lined with plastic bags as potable toilets. The edges of the ammo cans left dual indentations in the rider's bums. Hence the moniker "the groover". :lol:

The book "How to Sh*t in the Woods" is the authoratative guide to pooopin' in the woods and other back country sanitation issues. This is a link to the book on Amazon.com http://tinyurl.com/3m52l
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:02 am

I do know about the trowel system.
I just found the "Big Shell" picture unsettling.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby LeeB » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:13 am

Check out the off road commode page 468 NorthernTool 2004 master catalog or northerntool.com they have a toilet seat welded 2 inch receiver hitch for the back of a car also covered with soft camo holds up to 500 lbs told the wife thats what we were getting. She still not talking to me. Could this be used when going down the highway??? Can just see the patrolmans face as you go by.

lol:

Lee
LeeB
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:56 am

Sorry to disturb you :oops:

Big shell is in the Padre Island National Seashore near Corpus. We usually go to the 45-55 mile marker, that's 45-55 miles from paved roads driving 30mph on the beach. There aren't too many people there, just birds, coyotes, some deer, and hopefully fish. The toilet is kinda a war of wills, a game to see who is the first one to break down and use it. We only stay 2 nights (long enough to get annoyed but not too long where you don't want to come back) some of the guys can go the whole trip without using it, I however cannot. Don't worry, the coyotes have left us presents around the campsite too.
Last edited by asianflava on Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:39 am

sportsmansguide.com has a ... ahem... bucket seat. you supply the bucket and it's $5, they supply the bucket and it's $15.

lots of what we've done in the past involved backpacking and scout trips. being female, i had ... issues, once in awhile; but I learned to carry those foil-wrapped Wet Ones type thingies in a jeans pocket.

anybody else here ever been air force flight crew and know what a low-residue diet is?
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:11 pm

This is AWESOME! The only improvement I would make is perhaps a splash guard between the two front legs. Oh, and a magazine pocket on the side.

Delightful as it is, it may be time for a new seat. That one's not very appealing. In any case, I'd for dang sure strap that gem to the top of the car so that everyone could admire it.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Next

Return to General Discussion