Modernistic, Cub, Modernaire ????

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Cub or Modernistic

Postby kurtibm » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 am

mary and bob wrote:We were told that the Cubs were all sold in kit form. the assembled trailers used aircraft type rivets, which our modernistic has. I know it is a Modernistic because I found the faded remnant of a stencil or decal on the right side ahead of the door that says Modernistic Camper. ours has the rounded window in the door and the styled type fenders. the interior had been redone as was the galley butchered up so who knows what was in it originally. anyone know where I can get a reproduction Modernistic decal? I have a couple original Cub magazine ads. Bob

If you have the logo shown in one of the ads (or the one on the side of your trailer is intact enough to trace it), a local sign shop (who does vinyl, die cut) should be able to do enlarge it and do an admirable job for you. That is, unless someone out here in "teardrop-town" has already gone to the trouble and you can use THEIR supplier and save the trouble & design fee(s).

kurt
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

modernistic decal

Postby mary and bob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:14 pm

someone has made a Modernistic decal as I was emailed a picture of it but it has a glare to it so not real clear. haven't been able to find out who made it yet. the old ads I have don't have the logo and the one on our trailer is too faded. I work for a truck leasing company so I'm going to ask the guy that decals our trucks next time he comes if he can make me one. thanks for the ideas. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

modernistic

Postby 4123 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 am

To Grant,
I was just reading your Cub / Modernistic facts. Good Job! 35 years ago, I worked at National Trailer Sales and Supplies in LA. Inglewood to be more specific. We had a couple of original Cub kits in original crates in the warehouse but I couldn't talk the owner out of them. Somewhere around here I have an original NTS catalogs with a Cub add. I still am in close contact with Harry, son of the NTS founder. If you look at my album, you 'll see my '47 Cub that I restored for my son a few years ago.
Olga and I mainly used it for off road / back country camping for over 30 years before giving it to my son. We are waiting delivery of a new Camp-Inn 550 Ultra SUV. It will be interesting to see if the Camp-Inn can take the same type of 'abuse' that the Cub did.
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:40 am

4123!

Any chance that Harry's Father is still alive? Or that Harry might rememeber anything about production numbers, actual source (stamping-mill) of mfg. for the parts? Any other info about these trailers? If so, would you see if I could contact him/them? PM me, or send to my e-mail address, [email protected]
This is the first I've heard in nearly 20 years of anybody having any direct connection to Cub/Modernistic or NTS!

Thanks! And, as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Modernistic

Postby 4123 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:53 pm

I'll try to get in touch with Harry today and ask him if I can give his phone number out. His dad passed away many years ago. Harry is in his mid 70s now.
It was fun working at National Trailer. I was the store manager for a few years in the early 70s. It was an old store and there was some very interesting 'old stock' in the warehouse. I wish I could get my hands on some of that stuff today. You would be surprised at how many people were building custom camping trailers in those days. Most of the trailer items were more heavy duty than things available today. I purchased a 1957 15' Airstream "Bubble" in nearly mint condition for $500 from a customer. It had an all hardwood interior...not plastic like todays Airstreams. I sold the Bubble about ten years ago to my brother who lives in Yosemite National Park. Its still there parked under a tree.
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Re: Modernistic, Cub, Modernaire ????

Postby skip swanson » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:57 pm

was there ever a conclusion to this story, like info about how many were made, etc? i just got a modernistic, will post some pics soon. thanks, skip
skip swanson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mary and bob » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:02 pm

This thread was last posted on in 2008. Our Moderistic is riveted together so it was factory assembled and it has the aluminum fenders that are similar to those found on the rear of a '34 Ford car. I was told that the Cub was sold unassembled and you put it together with machine screws and nuts. The Cub had simple steel half round fenders. I've seen a couple of those. The Modernaire I believe was made by another company, possibly under some agreement with Modernistic, and it had a door on each side. Our Modernistic has one door. Edit; maybe it was the Marvel Dwyer that had two doors. Anyway, ours had the Modernistic logo stenciled on the right side, forward of the door.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby skip swanson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG (286.99 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
bob and mary, thanks for the quick response. yes, i know, old thread, but in this one it seemed maybe grant had a new lead on some manufacture information. here's my new (to me) modernistic. i've got lots more questions, and need to start a whole new thread. thanks, skip
skip swanson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby skip swanson » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 pm

opps ! photo is goofy, 1st time, i'll get better !
skip swanson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mary and bob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Is that a reproduction Modernistic ? Doesn't look like one built in the late 40's
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby 4123 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm

I think so. Our Modernistic had lots of rivits on the outside following the lines of the shelves etc in the galley.
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby mary and bob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Yes, sides are too smooth, fenders look like they must be the fiberglass reproductions and window is not period correct. Actually I don't know if the original Modernistics had a left side window. Ours does but I believe it had been added later. Can't figure out how to post a picture of ours although there are a couple photos in our gallery that were taken before we finished the restoration. Still have our Modernistic but hardly use it as we moved on to fiberglass campers, a Uhaul and a Casita.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby skip swanson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 pm

its the real deal, but sadly the guy i got it from "fixed it up". he put a new aluminum skin over the original sides. when looking inside, you can see the holes where the side trim strip should be. he put the ugly new windows in, and a new stainless counter top in the galley. it has aluminum fenders, and the welded angle iron tongue. some steel bracing has been added inside, but since the original walls are still there you can see whats missing/changed. i would like to some day make it all correct, but for now its usable. i had planned to start building one, but this came up so i grabbed it. here's some more, lets see if i can make the pics normal size!
Attachments
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG (107.5 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG (147.16 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG (108.43 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
skip swanson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby skip swanson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm

some more
Attachments
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG (78.23 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG (72.65 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG (97.09 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
skip swanson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mary and bob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Well that's interesting. In the galley area you have on the left what would be the original built in cooler. That hatch on the right is not original but you can see where the little side door was to access that area which had a vertical divider in the middle so that only half of that space was accessible. It is what it is so you might as well enjoy it as is.
mary and bob
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion