Re: New TTT - The Boxcar - New Sliding Bed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: New TTT - The Boxcar - Now with More Solar!

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Bruce

Great panels, I read up on them - there are 2 types on the market , most have the big junction box on top - your is more hidden harder to find.
these are different then yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1KW-10x-100w-Semi-Flexible-mono-solar-panels-for-Car-RV-Boat-battery-solar-cell-/350922828896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b4a16c60

Question what did you pay ? and most seam to only come with 3 year warranty - estimated 8 year life ?

One China guy was selling 10 x 100 for $1999 & a white boy who claimed he was selling his because his HOA said no wanted $2899

thanks Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: New TTT - The Boxcar - New Dinette

Postby bdosborn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:46 am

Its been awhile since I've posted to this old thread but here's a photo of the new tow vehicle. I was pretty worried about how well it would pull the Boxcar but it pulls just fine. Here it is on our property at Red Feather Lakes:

I also tried out the new port potty. Great view! :lol:

Amazingly, I was getting 6 amps from the PV panels on a day like this:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: New TTT - The Boxcar -New Dinette

Postby bdosborn » Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Taking a cue from the Vandwellers on Reddit, I've been working on a sliding bed conversion so I can more easily convert from a bed to seating. The center section of the bed has always been a table, but it was so awkward to raise and then sit down in the space that we never used it. I saw a picture of single bed that slide into a double in Vandwellers and had an epiphany; why not slide out from both seats to make the bed and ditch the table all together?

Here's what I started with:

First I replaced the table and the tops of the seats with 1/2" baltic birch plywood slats. Half the slats extend out on each side to make the bed:

Here the slats are extended and meet in the middle to make the bed platform:

Here it is with the cushions in place for seating:

Here's the first step in converting to a bed, slide the slats out and then toss the seat backs onto the slats:

Here it is as a bed.

I think the bed is more comfortable now, the slats seem to have a little more give than the solid plywood sheet they replace. It's a lot lighter than before, that's for sure. This has been a challenging mod, I found all the places where the bed area was out of square. You also have to build the sliders upside down from the top of the seats so it's confusing trying to keep all the measurements straight. I still have a few tweaks to make and I have to apply the finish but I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:57 am

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Nice modification!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby dmb90260 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:08 am

I have the same pot and made one adaption. I added a wooden storage box that i can flip over and put under the pot to make it
handicap height. Perfect for the taller person. 8) (That is the limit of my woodworking skills.)

Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby foxontherun » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Good evening,
How are your "taped" on solar panels holding up? Would you use/buy them again? Anything you would change about them? The flexible ones are what I am considering for my solar options.

Thanks,
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 pm

I haven't had any problems with the panels blowing off or anything, they are on good. Durability is an issue though, I wouldn't put them on a trailer that sits outside all the time. My trailer is in the garage when we're not camping and the panels are clouding with the little sun they see. I also don't like the off angle performance, the panel output drops a lot when the sun isn't perpendicular to the panel. All panels do that but my flexible panels are especially bad off angle. There are better quality flexible panels (Gioco) that don't degrade in the sun but they are scary expensive. I had to use the flexible panels to keep the weight of the roof low enough for me to lift, otherwise I would have used glass panels.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:38 pm

bdosborn wrote:... The center section of the bed has always been a table, but it was so awkward to raise and then sit down in the space that we never used it. I saw a picture of single bed that slide into a double in Vandwellers and had an epiphany; why not slide out from both seats to make the bed and ditch the table all together?

Bruce,

I am thinking about my #2 lifting roof design with a floor plan idea similar to your Boxcar.
Oddly enough I was also questioning if it would be better just to have the seats convert to bed and then I saw your post today.
Are you happy with this mod and have no regrets for missing the dinette table inside the camper?

Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:27 pm

OP827 wrote:I am thinking about my #2 lifting roof design with a floor plan idea similar to your Boxcar.
Oddly enough I was also questioning if it would be better just to have the seats convert to bed and then I saw your post today.
Are you happy with this mod and have no regrets for missing the dinette table inside the camper?

The sliding bed is the best, I'm really happy with it! We have a small camping table we can us if we want to eat or something inside. Converting to the dinette was such a huge PITA that I think I only did it twice in ten years. Now I go from bed to seat and back all the time.
Bruce
P.S. If I was to lay the Boxcar floor plan out again I would make it 1' longer and add cabinets for storage between the bed and the cabinets on both sides.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks Bruce, appreciate that. May be it is a good idea to start a better floor plan discussion thread based on experience...
OP827
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm

I just browsed through your build thread and Wow!! Impressive and beautiful.

The new sliding bed slats in the dinette are a great idea. It just goes to show a home built trailer is never really done being improved upon.

Thanks for commenting on my build. The link in your signature led me here.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I've been watching your build since you started it, I just don't post as much as I used to. :thumbsup:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion