fng here

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby teetom » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:44 pm

The bulk head is locked in by 2 tee nuts and bolts per side and bottom in the down or "travel position" . I have also installed outside clamps on the galley hatch essentially turning it into a structural member. The sides are also prefabed 1/4" skins laminated to a 1/2" pine core (the pine being a freebie from our local hardware store, seems they use it for packing and cladding of select and #1 pine for transport, they just toss it into the dumpster, 6" - 12" wide 16' long!!!) Anyway, with 6"wide verticals every 16" o/c with chases and rigid poured poly insulation makes for a very rigid wall with the three remaining galley bulkheads picking up the slack, if any. True test will be the road but the shop test was with 400 lbs on the trailer floor and 150 lbs on the roof rack with a laser tape inside, 4 large gentlemen pushed on the top corner and lifted the wheel off the ground with a deflection of 1/64" with the bulkhead up and down, I can live with that. As in many structures, some movement is a protective mechanism. Pictures are in the making.
teetom
teetom
Teardrop Inspector

12 footer?

Postby Boodro » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:25 pm

Hey Bigron , welcome. I am on the process of building a 4x 12 footer my self. I am about 90% done , there are some pics in my album & I will be adding more very soon. My galley is 4 ft . with 2 counters & storage under them. I can access the storage from inside or the galley . In the living room & bedroom there is a storage cabinet in the front & I still have 6' 8" for sleeping ( I am 6'2" ) . I am waiting for a little warmer weather so I can get the skin on . It will be skinned with FRP with a bubble finish . I hope to talk my nephew into doing some custom scenery painting on it for me as he is a grest artist ! 8) Good luck on your build! :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion