Trailer age.. (or, "how old is your trailer?"

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Trailer age.. (or, "how old is your trailer?"

Postby Arne » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:57 pm

Just happened to think about this... when on our trip, and making reservations by phone, we were often asked how old our trailer was. We explained what it was, like home built, modeled after the 40's style tear drop, etc.... never understood why we were asked..

Then, at one campground, we ran into a fellow with a nice older motor home parked in a back corner. Turned out they didn't want to let him in at all because it was over 20 years old. Never realized campgrounds had 'age discrimination'.

So, was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this, or been affected by it?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Nick Taylor » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:47 pm

My trailer is a 1947. Haven't had any problem in rv parks but I've only been to trailer meets or to The Shady Dell.

I have read on another vintage trailer forum that some RV parks won't allow trailers older than a certain year due to concerns about them being unsafe. Even some KOAs have those policies.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:09 am

That's one reason I don't call ahead. I just show up and let them drule(?) over my set up. I've been to a couple of parks with the Dalton that had age limits and never been asked how old it was (by park management). You find it's mostly at high dollar RV Parks. They are trying to keep out the junk. At one rv park that I went to last year (that had a age restriction) with the Dalton. The management was the first to come by after I had it all set up, to take a look and ask many questions and just talk about the old days of RVing.

So if your restored trailer looks good, go for it and don't worry about what they'll say.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:23 am

Arne,
Thanks for the information! I have NEVER heard that even campgrounds are getting that picky!

Bob wouldn't be much pleased if we pulled our ole 1950's canned ham in to camp and they told him it was pretty much a pile of junk!

Yikes! Thanks for the warning!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:36 am

After thinking about it, and seeing some of these 100k rigs, I suspose the campground wants to protect their reputation... The specific koa in New Orleans where the older motor home was located was willing to put us whereever we wanted to be.. but, with our dog, we wanted shade, so wound up in a great site under some really big trees (almost next to the old motor home).... they not only treated us well, but took care of our dog during the day for the 2 days we visited downtown N/O....

A big surprise was when we pulled into the first campground of the trip and at least 8 people literally rushed over to look at our plain vanilla tear before we even got out of the car..... the conversation started with "we saw some of these on the Discovery Channel"..... guess a lot of people watch the Discovery Channel..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby len19070 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:42 am

We have had not realy problems but missconceptions about Teardrops at TearJerkers gatherings when ever we go to a new park. It seams to most people at a front desk a trailer is a trailer is an RV. When you tell them its 8' long they still don't get it. However at a lot of parks once they see one then they understand that you don't need a site in the middle of a field where theres nothing to hit. As is the case with many RVs. We have been asked the age of the trailers though, but only at private parks.

And your right! once you pull in and get out your virtualy Mugged by inquisitive people. Its not just at campgrounds either. I took mine out on a Shakedown run to The Home Depot. It took me 1/2 hour to get in the building and another 1/2 hour to leave the parking lot. BTW I've never seen that kind of reaction over one of the $100K+ RVs.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion