The Caj-INN Build

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Looking like a Teardrop to me. The only thing I think I see is Steve's wheels look further back. That might be the camera angle. Have you guesstimated the balance?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:55 am

Sonetpro wrote:I like the profile. So how are you going to lay out the inside? Your galley looks to be about the same size as mine.
As you can see I had plenty of room.
You are really getting after it.

Thanks Steve,
Well my layout is going to look a lot like yours since I copied your Sketch ':oops:' Hope you don't mind I really liked your layout, it seams to be really workable with the 11'6" profile...
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:03 am

Miriam C. wrote: Have you guesstimated the balance?

Miriam, Thanks for the Heads up ':thumbsup:' on the axle placement, It is a little more forward than Steve's I think Because, I used the Spreadsheet to try and figure out what my hitch weight would be with me running the axle at 48 inches. I plan on having a Gen on the hitch along with a Propane bottle so I was a little worried about it being to heavy for my wifes XL7..

Edit: Here is the outcome of the sheet...
Last edited by Eddielbs on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:35 am

Eddielbs wrote:
Sonetpro wrote:I like the profile. So how are you going to lay out the inside? Your galley looks to be about the same size as mine.
As you can see I had plenty of room.
You are really getting after it.

Thanks Steve,
Well my layout is going to look a lot like yours since I copied your Sketch ':oops:' Hope you don't mind I really liked your layout, it seams to be really workable with the 11'6" profile...

As I said in the PM. I don't mind at all. I appreciate you asking first.
As you can see in the sketch I designed the galley cabinets to be over the bulkhead between the cabin and the galley, so you only need the height for the doors.
My axle is right where the cabin wall is. Since my battery's,Petcool and water tank are all in the bulkhead (I carry the generator there too) It puts the weight of them right on the axle. Axle placement was chosen after I built it by having the mounts on a section of angle that slides on the frame. After it was built I slid the axle for optimum placement then drilled holes and bolted them to the frame and mounted the fenders.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Sonetpro wrote:My axle is right where the cabin wall is. Since my battery's,Petcool and water tank are all in the bulkhead (I carry the generator there too) It puts the weight of them right on the axle. Axle placement was chosen after I built it by having the mounts on a section of angle that slides on the frame. After it was built I slid the axle for optimum placement then drilled holes and bolted them to the frame and mounted the fenders.

Steve, Thats a great idea on the Adjustable axles. Mine are welded at 48" from the rear to the axle center.. I was worried about placement, I hope it works out with the extra weight I'll have up front. If not I may have to move them later.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Started to splice my plywood for the walls... I have been thinking I was going to use a 6 inch splice Until I figured out today that what ever you splice you lose that amount of board x2... Go figure! SO since I wouldn't have enough wood to cover the side if I did that I am left with a 3.5inch splice. I hope its enough to hold.
First sheet
My setup.
I screwed the splice to the trailer floor after gluing the two plys together. And placed 125 lbs of water on top...
I cut and sanded the other side to be glued tomorrow.
You may have noticed I evicted my boat and have taken over the whole carport.. I have a lot more room to lose my tools now..
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 am

Eddielbs

I see you have the same router I have. Used it for my build and it worked pretty good untill I could not get it to hold the bits no matter what I did. No matter how hard I screw down the collet, 1/2 or 1/4 bits, Tried a different brand in hopes the shank was a few thousands bigger. Nothing worked.

Untill I took the bit out and then screwed the collet way down then backed it off untill I could get the bit in and now it is holding again. I don't know what that action did to cure it and I haven't been able to come up with a good theory. Or how long it will last.

And by the way. Nice looking profile. Have fun. :thumbsup:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Update

Postby Eddielbs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:21 pm

This is the hardware I'm using to bolt the body to the frame...
I drilled a countersink for the bolt heads..
This is a look from under the frame.. The Angle iron worked great for attaching the floor.
Its coming together... I cut both walls out today with the router. I also started on the framing of the walls but was stopped due to the fact I'm lacking a way to glue the pieces together... If someone wants to loan me a Biscuit jointer i would get right back to work..
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Well I guess I'm just going to have to buy one. Even if my wife said I couldn't have any more tools. I'm sure it will be easier to get forgiveness than permission so I'm just not going to ask.. ':R'
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 pm

Eddie,

You could use a pocket hole jig instead of a biscuit jointer, probably a little cheaper and you can use it for the cabinets.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Eddielbs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:04 pm

rbeemer wrote:Eddie,

You could use a pocket hole jig instead of a biscuit jointer, probably a little cheaper and you can use it for the cabinets.

Thanks Rick, Yeah I was worried about getting the router into one of the screws while trimming the profile because about half of the boards are going to get taken away. but I think I'm going to use some wider boards and my pocket jointer like you suggested.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

IT WORKED!!

Postby Eddielbs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:21 pm

I have a few spots that the router got away from me, but it is good enough for the customer...

Last edited by Eddielbs on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Going camping

Postby Eddielbs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm happy with my progress this week... I'm going to take this weekend off and go camping!!!!';)'
Last edited by Eddielbs on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby pete.wilson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Hey

Eddie writes: "Well I guess I'm just going to have to buy one. Even if my wife said I couldn't have any more tools. I'm sure it will be easier to get forgiveness than permission so I'm just not going to ask.. ''

I love the example you set for the rest of us.....Keep up the good work and keep her inline! LOL-JK :surrender:

Postby Eddielbs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 pm

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

I love the example you set for the rest of us.....Keep up the good work and keep her inline! LOL-JK :surrender:

Pete, I'm not nor have I ever been a example.. well maybe an example of what not to do.. ';)'
Eddielbs
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion