General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby forestfrog » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Lookin' good!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: There ya go! I think it is looking great! If you have trouble with the hatch edge leaking just add a strip of wood or metal to the inside so the water can't get in past the seal. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby starleen2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Eddielbs wrote:Image

Nice bending Jig there - keep giving us the ideas :applause:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Breakinstuffzfun » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:52 am

Eddie,

I actually work in Opelousas and drive from the south side of Lafayette. Were do you ride at? I having been looking for good trails since the state kicked us out of Forrest Hills 10 years ago.

Heath
Breakinstuffzfun
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Eddielbs » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Thank y'all for the kind words.. I got the hurricane hinge temporally installed today and did a lot of prep for paint.. If the weather isn't bad tomorrow the sides are going to get the blue.. This build has already pushed me outside my comfort levels on a few things, and the painting is going to be no exception. I have only sprayed oilfield equipment here and there at work and never something that i was worried about the finish on so this is all new to me. My plan is after cleaning and shop vacuuming my work area out. I'm going to hose down the slab to keep dust down then I'm laying down some drop cloth and taping off the camper. I will be shooting it with a few coats of a good 3 part jones blair paint. I coated the sides with epoxy already and sanded it smooth then wiped it down with a damp cloth to get the dust off. I guess I'm a little nervous about tomorrow hence the long post... anyway keep ya fingers crossed for me and I will post some pictures of the damage asap..
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:28 pm

The Caj-INN has gotten a little blue.. Man that color shows every place i didn't do so well on the the sanding.. but it is what it is and it will stay that way until the next paint job...

I think once the aluminum skin is on the roof and the diamond plate trim is on the bottom it will make it look a lot better...
"Some Minds are like cement, A grey matter that is thoroughly mixed up and permanently set."
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 pm

So it looks like Gustav is going to make it here before my aluminum sheets :(.. I have been thinking of getting some type of white epoxy or oil based paint to paint the top with in case i have to take the little trailer and run north.. But my question is would this be a problem when i try to glue my Aluminum skin on in a week or so... My plan was to use 5200 under the edges of the sheets then seal the edge trim with butyl tape.. I know the 5200 would bond to the bare wood better than a painted surface thats why i didn't want to paint the top but Gustav has changed my plans. I'm going to epoxy the spliced joints of the 1/4in and all the screw holes really good tomorrow. What would you suggest to water proof the top until i can get my aluminum? I was thinking maybe the white cool seal type stuff or something. Please let me know if you can think of a better product :worship:
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby Mark72 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Hey Eddie, your CI is lookin' great! What if you get some heavy duty plastic sheeting like they use to cover the open side of a modular home. Cover the roof of your tear with it and fold the sides of the sheeting under to protect it from the wind. use those ratchet straps to hold the plastic on for the trip. one on each side and one down the center. You won't be able to open the hatch without removing them but that will save you from having to paint and run. Unless you come really far north to escape the storm I don't see you doing much outdoor cooking out of your galley anyway.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby sid » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Nice job Eddie :applause: :applause:

That's a cool looking profile.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Eddielbs » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks for the compliments Mark & Sid :). Yeah i think we are going to get some 100+ MPH wind gust here and I'm sure it would blow my little 10x10 first up north to around Oklahoma if i tried to use it.
I think the wife and i have about made our minds up to stay anyway and just board up the windows and put all the loose yard items inside tomorrow.. I really don't think we are going to have anything but wind and some Heavy rains here to deal with this far north. I'm hoping the worst we will have to deal with is being without lights for a few weeks. so were going to be preparing for the worst and hoping for the best :worship: ... I'm just going to wrap up the little trailer with a tarp and leave it under the carport. We might be sleeping in it soon if the lights stay out for long in this heat..
Last edited by Eddielbs on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Eddielbs wrote:The Caj-INN has gotten a little blue

NoW THAT is BLUE ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Eddielbs » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:19 pm

We made it :applause: !!!! But 4 large trees in my yard and some shingles on my roof did not.. the lil' Caj-Inn got a little wet and looked like it had been in a salad shooter during the storm, but has come in handy sinice as a cool place to sleep due to the fact we have been without electricity sinice Monday.. I'm so ready to get some sheets of alunimum and trim to get the thing water proof. We will not be staying for the next strom thats for sure. Here are a few pictures of the yard after the storm

Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby forestfrog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Glad to hear you guys and the Caj-Inn weathered the storm with minimal damage! Good luck with the yard cleanup...I'm really dreading getting started on that here, lol!
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Eddielbs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 am

forestfrog wrote:Glad to hear you guys and the Caj-Inn weathered the storm with minimal damage! Good luck with the yard cleanup...I'm really dreading getting started on that here, lol!

Thank you!!! The yard clean up has really been a monster. But the worst thing is we have water that leaked into the house upstairs, so now i have tarps on the roof. I called about Two weeks ago, but I have yet to see anyone from Allstate, i did get a phone call though to tell me that my 1000 dollar deductible has now turned into 5% of the insured value of my home. So for me that translates to 6000 bucks :x . and to top it all off I got poison oak while cleaning up some downed trees now I'm all itchy.. :(

On a better note i have had a little time to work on my TD I got the DOT lighting and galley finished.. Well finished for now.. I still have to skin the inside of the hatch one day. I ordered my aluminum sheeting and trim from SAF Monday.. I didn't get the anodized like i had planed due to being tight on money after the storm.. I think the mill finished with an acid wash will give me the look i want hopefully..

Eddielbs
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Eddie,

Your TD looks 'blue-t-ful'! :thumbsup: You are doing a great job. It's been fun watching your progress.

Glad to hear you guys made it safely through the storm. Mom just got electricity yesterday and my sister is still waiting. I hope Ike doesn't mess with you.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion