Just saying "HI"

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Just saying "HI"

Postby mexican tear » Mon May 24, 2004 12:48 pm

I have been reading this forum for a few days now and have gotten some good iteas.

I have just about finished the frame, infact I used it today to go to the hardware store and get some angle iron. Tows realy well.

Thanks for the tips I have used so far and am realy looking forward to meeting some of you at one of the events.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 24, 2004 12:55 pm

Wow Kai, you're pretty quick. Did you manage to take any pictures that you can share with us? You can upload them right here to this forum in your own personal gallery!!!

So did you build your trailer out of angle iron? How far back did you put the axle, and what did you use for an axle?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mexican tear » Mon May 24, 2004 1:26 pm

The axle is the Northern Hydrolic snow mobil trailer axle. I chose it becaue I wanted lots of ground clearance when I pull the tear behind my jeep on outings. Some of those rocks are big. If the jeep clears, so should the tear. I have ordered electric brakes to help it stop behind the Jeep.

I put the axle 40 in from the back. The frame is built out of 2" square tubing, with 3" Ucnanel for the toung. I bought some angle iron today to make the holder for the battery boxes and the propane bottle (10lb). I plan on using a solar panel on top to charge the batteries. Any one have an idea of how to mount it.

I am using the basic plans and ideas from the Kuffel Creek Press. The 10' comet. I have widened it to 5' and plan to stick rather close to the rest of the plans, with the width modified only.

in my personal album

Thanks again for any help.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion