Plans

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Plans

Postby Doug » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:48 am

There is so much useful information in this forum that I am tempted to attempt this without plans but I am a freak of nature, a man who usually reads instructions when assembling things so I think the plans would be useful to me.

Open to suggestions on what plans are best. I plan on going with Kuffel Creek cubby (as I intend to start with a HF traielr) and will probably spend the extra $30 to get both sets of plan so I already will have plans for the 10' TD, also.

I wish Kuffel provided a template for the exterior shape since that is the most significant feature of the trailer but I guess once I start into it, it won't be such a big deal.

I plan on making a galley / interior quite different from Kuffel creek but would assume many of the basics are covered in the plans.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but just thought I'd throw the post up in case there is new information since the last thread.

Thanks!! I can't wait to start!!
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:03 am

I built mine without "formal plans" I researched it and made some quick drawings and filled in the measurements along the planning stage. Put pencil to wood then blade.Before I knew it it went together like I had drawn it. It helps to research everything (other peoples build sites) to see how it comes together before "making sawdust". The real key here is to have everything like windows and hardware etc. and install as you go while your building and alot of patience. It can be a real pain to add it later. Regardless of how you do it, you'll find that it is a rewarding experience to say the least. Take plenty of pictures to show and for reference later when you want to add or change something. Trying to remember where wires and other stuff is located can be a trying experience, pictures really help Good luck with your build
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Plans

Postby steve wolverton » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:48 am

Doug wrote:There is so much useful information in this forum that I am tempted to attempt this without plans but I am a freak of nature, a man who usually reads instructions when assembling things so I think the plans would be useful to me.

Have you d/l'ed my UF (Udderly Free) Cowper plans? They might give you an idea of what's involved in building, and the price is right. They aren't complete yet - I'd say about 50% complete.

http://www.stevewolverton.com/cowper.pdf

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:50 am

Doug, the Kuffle Creek plans are really good to have. They give ya a lot of answers and a ready reference at all hours of the night. You will make some changes to make it personal but use them as a guide. There is a good layout of the profile in the plans also,, its set up on an x y axis so its easy to follow. I am sure there are other great plans out thar but Kuffl's plans seem to work well for all thats used them.

good luck with ya trailer,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Plans

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:57 pm

Doug wrote:I wish Kuffel provided a template for the exterior shape since that is the most significant feature of the trailer but I guess once I start into it, it won't be such a big deal.

I plan on making a galley / interior quite different from Kuffel creek but would assume many of the basics are covered in the plans.

At first, I had wished it came with a template for the profile, but after using small nail/dowel method in the plans, it worked out just fine.

even if you have some construction experience, I felt the plans really helped me connect-the-knowledge-dots.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Getting profile coordinates.

Postby An Ol Timer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:24 pm

One good accurate side view to scan and a sheet of x/y graph paper to print on and you can have all the coordinates that you'll ever need.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby BrianB » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 pm

I designed mine by taking my laying down and sitting up measurements, and then drawing around that. If you're gonna build it, might as well make sure you can fit in it.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:27 pm

BrianB wrote:I designed mine by taking my laying down and sitting up measurements, and then drawing around that. If you're gonna build it, might as well make sure you can fit in it.

Kinda like a girdle! :lol:
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby samstoybox » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:47 pm

I purchased both Kuffel Creek plans but am going to attempt the 10 foot Comet/Trailer for Two on the Harbor Freight frame. I first saw this on angib's site:

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear00.htm

Second from the top on the left. I had originally planned to use the trailer as is (eight feet long) but the Kuffel Creek plans suggest turning the center cross beams sideways to make the trailer non-folding. While I was at it, I stretched the trailer to nine feet long so that the wooden floor frame will only overhang 3.5 inches over the front and back rather than 6 inches in the back and 12+ inches in the front. I just did this stretch yesterday and will document with photos/text/webpage when I'm a bit further along. Right now the stretched frame is in my living room!
Sam Cancilla
http://www.samstoybox.com/teardrop/ - My teardrop (re)build site
samstoybox
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:16 pm

...after looking at the various plans avilable, we decided to design our own from scratch, using some full size kraft paper we came up with our own profile...the rest was general construction/cabinetry to come up with galley, ect. we will draw up a set of plans for repeatability as we go along and finish up the build. However, my building/business partner and I have 50 or 60 yrs of constuction/cabinetry/furniture design and build experience between us, so our way may not be the way to go for everybody.
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the input. It IS appreciated.

I think I'll be ordering the Kuffel Creek plans for the basic build info. That should help with wiring, doors and galley hatch and skin and well worth the money.

Then, design an interior and galley that suits our needs. I'm glad to hear the positive on the Kuffel Creek plans.

Man, I cannot wait to start this!!!!
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tdhombre » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 am

If you are looking for plans and haven't foung Grant's page of them, you need to check this link out. Towards the end, Grant offers profiles of the various teardrops. All you need to do is supply the paper!

http://www.teardrops.net/plans01.html

Enjoy!
:thumbsup:
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

There are Plans, then there are plans

Postby Dee Bee » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:49 am

I am building my TD without purchased plans. Although I did buy Kuffle Creek plans for the Cubby, when they arrived I realized that I wanted to build something different in profile. The kuffle Creek info helped me understand basic construction questions.

My next step was to come up with a drawing that showed the profile, the way the sides met the bottom, and the connection of the bulkhead to the sides. Once I had that figured out, I made enough measurements to trasfer the profile to a piece of hardboard. I cut the shape of the profile onto the hardboard. This became my template. The sides were then built off the template.

Hope this approach helps or at least gives you something to think about...

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Doug » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:32 am

Thanks again! I'll be looking for large cardboard now, lol.

As far as profiles go, I like the sleeker look of the TD's with a more pointy back end but that seems to waste so much floor space in the galley and shoves the galley back into the cabin.

I'll probably go with a pretty blunt end since I'm starting with an 8 footer.
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion