DMV in CA?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Jan Keller » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Well, I spent one day at the DMV, in Santa Rosa. It took almost three hours, to get a temporary registration. I have 30 days to get the, "camping
trailer" verified. It says on the document, a peace officer, can verify this.
So, I'am going to the highway patrol office, and they will do this for me.
This saves time, waiting in line, with a walkie=talkie, and dragging someone else with me. Then, I'll make an appointment with the DMV, for
my second trip...

AAA, said they don't do out of state, and threw up their hands! But they
did hold on to the Camp-Inn brochure, I brought (just in case). As I left,
I heard, them saying "Oh how cute"....

Onward and upward!

Jan
Jan
Camp-Inn 2005
Jan Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby Georgeandpat » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:21 pm

Thank you members for your advice! Got my PT registration yesterday at the Whittier, CA DMV.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc242.htm
Printing this page and taking it with me seemed to be the key. The inspector even said, "I see you've done your homework."
For some reason, the ladies in the office seemed to struggle with the homemade teardrop registration issue but to my surprise were tolerant and patient with me. The whole process took about one and a half hours and that was with an appointment made on-line. I took all my receipts with me (she seemed surprised at the quantity) and a certified weight slip (they just asked me how much it weighed).
I"ll repeat the advice that others have given here- Be patient, polite, and prepared! George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby fornesto » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:05 pm

To save some headache, couldn't you register your trailer frame and axle before building the teardrop onto it? That would eliminate the questions about weight, sleeping compartment, etc. Just drag the Harbor Freight special to the DMV as a utility trailer. My tear is on a utility trailer that was already registered and I don't intend to change the registration.
fornesto
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion